FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Looks Like SpaceShipOne's Flight Wasn't Flawless

Author Topic: Looks Like SpaceShipOne's Flight Wasn't Flawless
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
"As I came out of the atmosphere I no longer had any attitude control," Melvill told New Scientist and other reporters. "If that had happened earlier, I would never have made it and you all would be looking sad right now."
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd heard about that, but that's what test flying is for.

I've been thinking about the other attempts that will be made very soon in this space-race. Who else has thrown their hat into the ring?

Another cool thing will be the upgrade of the Mojave Airport to Spaceport.

It's just too neato!

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Mojave spaceport...never will you find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.

I'm not sure off the top of my head who the other competitors are in this, but I remember reading that there were several groups with ships that were nearly ready, should SpaceShipOne fail.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I know John Carmack (the guy who created Doom and Quake) is working on stuff and his project is going pretty well.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Space stuff or computer game stuff?
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty danged cool, still.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been able to figure out if this was actually a qualifying flight for the X Prize. I thought it was, but then somebody mentioned something on the news yesterday that made me think maybe they were going to attempt the actual X Prize flights later.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Nope, this wasn't an X-Prize qualifying flight--has to have two people on board for that (or possibly one person and the weight equivalent of another person--what I've read has been a bit ambiguous about that). Also, a ship has to make two trips in...what, two weeks? in order to win the prize.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Space stuff... he's working on the x-prize, too.

Armadillo Aerospace

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they have to have the pilot and the equivalent weight of two passengers.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
It has to be three people, or the equivalent weight of (with at least one live person), Noemon, according to the official Xprize rules on their home site.

Attitude control? What exactly is that? I have heard of altitude control, but not the attitude control they mention twice in that article. But I know nothing about flight.

Farmgirl

[No No] at Noemon for pulling stuff directly off Slashdot! [Big Grin]

[ June 22, 2004, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

"attitude" is basically the orientation of the thing-- which way is up.

Loss of attitude control is a very bad thing.

Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
How do they keep it from burning up without all of the cool heat shield thingys that the space shuttle has?

BTW:
This is so very, very cool.

The first few government-funded space trips (unmanned) blew up on the launchpad. [Smile]

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Cool link to armadillo, Jim-me, Thanks!
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"How do they keep it from burning up without all of the cool heat shield thingys that the space shuttle has?"

It was a sub-orbital flight. Consequently, re-entry temperatures were a LOT lower.

While this flight's a major triumph, we need to keep it in perspective; what NASA does is considerably harder.

Some of this technology simply won't scale up to NASA-sized efforts; it's unlikely that SpaceShipOne can be turned into an orbiter, for example. It's a good example of targeted technology, but it's still only a step.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Slashdot? I actually don't frequent Slashdot--I found this article on New Scientist.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I was only teasing you Noemon -- because you picked almost exactly word-for-word the same title to your thread as their thread title...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] I just got back from Slashdot, actually--I was over there checking to see why you'd said that. I figured it was something like that.
ArCHeR
Member # 6616

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know how NASA feels about all this?
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like they've successfully made a second flight last night, though they had the same problem with reentering the atmosphere. They'll have to work out little kinks like that before they'll find any customers. My only question is, what's in space that people will pay to go there? As of right now, there's not much there. I guess you could sort on a sight-seeing adventure, and to experience null-g's, but it's not like airplanes where you can go visit other people. Anyway, here's the article on the most recent flight. Private Rocket Unofficially Reaches Space.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I think people want to go into space just because.....it's not Earth.

Louis L'Amour (yes, the author) once said in a speech at a local university, that I went to hear, that he considered Space truly the next "frontier". That people -- just as they felt driven to explore the world, to explore west through America, to explore the poles, to explore deep in the ocean... to always push to go to areas we hadn't been before -- that drive would keep us always "wanting" to go to space...

Farmgirl

Noemon
Member # 1115

I'd personally like to go into space to experience zero gravity, and just generally to experience being out there. I'd like to leap across the surface of the moon. I'd like to gaze back at Earth. I'd like to fly past the rings of Saturn. I want to experience these things for the same reason I want to see the Grand Canyon, or the Black Hills, or Angor Wat, or Easter Island.

I expect that there will end up being practical reasons for getting out there as well, once the cost falls enough, and the resources available out there become scarce enough down here.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.