FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fahrenheit 9/11 (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Fahrenheit 9/11
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not saying he can't do it. It's just annoying when anyone does it, and that includes Franken and especially Rush.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is different in one major respect, in that the events being documented are going on right now.
How does this make it different? fugu made a great comparison. Two movies can be done about the exact same situation (now or then) and both can be equally factual yet you can come away from the event with two different understandings of that event. Should all movies about the Civil War be "North Good/South Bad" because the North won? Or is it better to see all sides, even if I would completely disagree with opinions that pain the South in too good a light? How about WW2? Or Viet Nam? Or the Clinton Administration? Or the War in Iraq? Bush has had his chance to make his case for years now. Taking the same information, we see things in a new light. Doesn't change the facts of the situation.

I think the Republicans would have done better to make their OWN documentary (if you don't count the nearly silent major media outlets footage) that shows the Iraq War in the light that THEY want. Simply attacking the filmmaker to discount the movie vs. showing their side is having the counter effect. Look at Gibson and "The Passion of the Christ." The more people attacked Gibson as being anti-semitic and "picking and choosing" his point of view for the story, the more people who wanted to go see it. Moore loves the attention and I have seen him publicly ask for more outrage from the Right! He said the more the Right tries to block the film, the better sales have been. [Big Grin]

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Rakeesh -- *shrug* why temporality should have meaning here escapes me. Either all three examples (Moore and the two civil war documentaries) are biased in essentially the same sort of way, or they aren't. If we still consider the civil war documentaries documentaries despite the biases, then we should consider Moore's work a documentary despite the same types of bias.

A similar situation could also arise contemporaneously wrt globalization. Lots of news shows spin globalization as either the solution to man's ills, emphasizing all the good things it does, while others highlight the bad side. True, each often glosses the other side, but its typically pretty clear which side is favored -- just count the minutes spent on it, if nothing else. Yet all of these shows are, essentially, fact based reporting, and are classified and represented as such.

[ July 02, 2004, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I fail to see a problem with this.
And I fail to see a problem with us saying 1) we don't like him, 2) he's unfair and manipulative, 3) he has a proven history of lying and near-lying through creative editing, 4) his conclusions are ludicrous, and 5) we hate him.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't dispute those ideas.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Leonard Pitts take on it all.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/living/columnists/leonard_pitts/9061272.htm

You have to register, so here's a name and password from bugmenot.com.

w.mazuchowski@comcast.com
muzzy

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

Kayla, thanks for the link (didn't need to register, either...it went right there). That actually was a neat article and one that takes a broader look at the movie and what it shows about us as a nation. Neat.

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC has a bit on Fahrenheit 9/11 in his latest column:

http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/2004-06-27-1.html

quote:
When Michael Moore in his recent propaganda film ridicules President Bush for continuing his session with schoolchildren for five whole minutes after hearing about a plane crashing into the World Trade Center, let's ask ourselves: What else should the President have done? Rushed from the room and frightened the children? Was he supposed to leap into an airplane and patrol the skies himself?

Besides, it was not clear until fifteen minutes after the first crash that there was more than just one plane involved, and therefore that it was a terrorist attack.

But what do we expect from Moore? He's a hero of the Left because he tells lies about the Right.

If President Bush weren't such a good president, his enemies wouldn't have to lie about him outrageously in order to defeat him.

And what does it say about America's intelligentsia that they would rather believe lies than admit that George W. Bush has been smarter, on the issues that matter, than they are?

Don't know if OSC saw the film or not, but he didn't get the part about the planes right -- when Bush was in the school, he was told about the SECOND plane hitting the Twin Towers, and the clip from the movie was of Bush sitting there in the classroom after hearing about the second plane...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If President Bush weren't such a good president, his enemies wouldn't have to lie about him outrageously in order to defeat him.

Apparently even without his enemies lying, he still puts his foot in it.

The lights just aren't on. [Dont Know]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive me if this has already been posted:
Michael Moore

'Nuff said.

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
HRE

That's almost as funny as the photo of Rumsfeld and Saddamn shaking hands.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Where is the frankenstein?
Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

quote:
Forgive me if this has already been posted:
Michael Moore

'Nuff said.

So because he is very overweight, that is how we should judge his works? Rush Limbaugh...the Right's Michael Moore...is also overweight (though looking better). 'Nuff said?

Weak.

fil

fil
Member # 5079

OSC, in addition to getting the story wrong from the movie (methinks he didn't see it and is relying on reviews to make his point) also is wrong about the reaction. Obviously Bush shouldn't have "rushed out of the room" and "frightened the children." But he knows that. Bush, when hearing the news, could have quietly stood up, excused himself and left. It wasn't like he was actively reading to the children. He was flipping through the book while the teacher did the reading. It wasn't hard to get out of.

I think the opposite statement from what OSC said is true: If Bush were such a good president, he wouldn't need his allies making excuses for him all the time.

fil

HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
Calm down, fil.

Whether I like Moore or not is immaterial there. That's just funny. I'm sure you laughed when you first opened it, before the little monkey in your brain told you to get pissed.

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

No, the monkey didn't make me stop laughing. Fat jokes and Moore are about as funny as...er...fat jokes and Rush Limbaugh. The monkey just rolled it's eyes. Plenty calm here. Just rather sad. There has been some great discussion about Moore's film and its ideas but it has been typical here and in the press and elsewhere on the internet that half the time people just comment on how fat he is.

Now funny Moore stuff was on www.fark.com a while back where people photoshopped Moore doing some odd interviews (iirc). THAT was funny. Or some were, anyway.

Speaking of making fun of Moore, I heard on the Daily Show tonight they were interviewing the guy who is doing the documentary about trying (unsuccessfully) to interview Michael Moore. Someone posted a link about it a while back. Can't wait to see how he handles the Daily Show interview style!

fil

[ July 07, 2004, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: fil ]

fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
HRE,

that link was just lame.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

Here is a funnier link (I think):

The Onion on Moore's movie.

My little monkey told me to laugh.

fil

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
THIS article off the front page is priceless:

Nation's Liberals Suffering from Outrage Fatigue

quote:
WASHINGTON, DC—According to a study released Monday by the Hammond Political Research Group, many of the nation's liberals are suffering from a vastly diminished sense of outrage.

"With so many right-wing shams to choose from, it's simply too daunting for the average, left-leaning citizen to maintain a sense of anger," said Rachel Neas, the study's director. "By our estimation, roughly 70 percent of liberals are experiencing some degree of lethargy resulting from a glut of civil-liberties abuses, education funding cuts, and exorbitant military expenditures."

San Francisco's Arthur Flauman is one liberal who has chosen to take a hiatus from his seething rage over Bush Administration policies.

"Every day, my friends send me e-mails exposing Bush's corrupt environmental policies," said Flauman, a member of both the Green Party and the Sierra Club. "I used to spend close to an hour following all the links, and I'd be shocked and outraged by the irreversible damage being done to our land. At some point, though, I got annoyed with the demanding tone of the e-mails. The Clear Skies Initiative is bogus, but I'm not going to forward a six-page e-mail to all my friends—especially one written by a man who signs his name 'Leaf.' Now, if a message's subject line contains the word 'Bush,' it goes straight into the trash."

This, btw, is a familiar phenomenon. It was a real problem during the Nixon years. [Wink]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melchior
Member # 5519

- posted      Profile for Melchior   Email Melchior         Edit/Delete Post 
George W. Bush is a drooling, blubbering TWIT
Posts: 50 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
And thus is the level of political discourse raised ever higher.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.