FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help! Olivet has an Adobe problem

Author Topic: Help! Olivet has an Adobe problem
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a document that I need to edit. It is in Adobe pdf format.

The trouble is that the first page (and other pages throughout) seem to have long stretches of utter nonsense in them. I can only assume that this is due to my version of adobe not reading either formatting or pictures or whatever correctly.

Which probably also means that whatever changes I make in editing will be out of synch with whatever version my clients are using (or rather, potential clients, since they want me to edit these first five pages to show their superior what I can do, in the hopes that he will approve the expense of hiring me to do a major edit/re-write of the text. ).

Is there a quick fix for this?

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
What version do you have? And might the file simply be corrupted?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Is your question on how to edit the text in an Adobe pdf or a question of how to make sure that your clients get what you send them?
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
The editing they need done is actually more of a re-write. I called the client and he said "Just copy and paste it into Word." When I asked if sending it back in Word format would be okay, he said yes.

Sooooo...

It's still really a b*tch, because when I copy/pasted the thing, the formatting went all wonky. I told them I could edit (even with the sizeable re-writing they need) about four pages an hour. If I have to re-format every LINE, then that may not be the case. They seemed to think $15.00 an hour was reasonable (I'm actually giving them a break, because re-writing for flow is a lot more labor intensive than fixing grammar or whatever-- the only other client I do that for is a corporation (I re-write the annual report so that these savvy businessmen don't sound like idiots) and they pay me twice that.)

But I really need the money. <wince>

[ June 25, 2004, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: Olivetta ]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you save the file as text and then edit that?

(Check your mail)

[ June 25, 2004, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you actually have acrobat? It has a save as .doc option. Thats probably what you want if using it is at all possible.

Edit: not just the free reader.

[ June 25, 2004, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: HollowEarth ]

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like they didn't properly embed the fonts. Suggest they send it to be around to be edited in plain text if that would make sense, or possibly rich text. Word would work too, assuming you have it.

A PDF workflow is great, but it can have a high learning curve to institute, and requires a particular care with fonts which many people are insufficiently knowledgable about.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's a major issue, mail me on monday since I'm at work then. I can probably extract the text for you as I have the full version of Acrobat.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
If you would have answered sooner, Olivetta, I could have done that for you at work yesterday.

This machine has nothing!

Sorry! [Frown]

[ June 26, 2004, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: Erik Slaine ]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooops, living in New Mexico, I thought you had a problem with your adobe house. Sorry.
Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.