FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Vice President as Role Model on Civil Discourse (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Vice President as Role Model on Civil Discourse
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Probably. But like I said, my reputation here is actually surprisingly important to me. I don't mind people forming opinions of me based on my posts, but a direct accusation that I'm making up a persona is hard to swallow.

Dag,

I already have a firm impression of you and hold you in high regard. I think that's true of a lot - probably most - of the people you've connected with here.

Perhaps the best response to determined snarkiness is a bunch of [Roll Eyes] , [Razz] , and [Taunt] .

I could be completely off base of course.

[Smile]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I was wronged first...."

Were you "wronged" before or after you were deliberately offensive -- by your own admission -- in order to prove a point? Which comment, specifically, do you believe "wronged" you and justified your later insults?

Examining your first exchange with Dagonee, it appears that his tone was dismissive but not hostile; you escalated by calling him ignorant; and he responded in kind. Things, as I see them, went steadily and consistently downhill from there -- but I would say, looking at the thread, that your hostility escalated much more rapidly than did his, and your tone degenerated faster.

Again, how much of this is part of your deliberate intention, to prove a point, and how much of it is because you were "wronged?" Moreover, if you have deliberately kicked a hornet's nest, are you justified in nuking the farm from orbit because you were stung?

Brian, just walk away from this one. Your sense of self-worth should not be so heavily invested here.

[ June 28, 2004, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Examining your first exchange with Dagonee, it appears that his tone was dismissive but not hostile
Equivocation and mitigation seems to be big with you.

Tom, I would say just walk away from this one because the extent of what I purposefully said to make my point and when I did not do so was painfully obvious, but the biggest reason I have for you to walk away is in the spirit of immaturity that you entered into this thread I reported the post in which you referred to me as some aging astronaut extremist shooting his mouth off so try to walk and ane be civil. "[Just let the conversation end here and you'll be amazed at how quickly it cleans up]." Also, my sense of worth doesn't rely on a forum where people play popularity games and gang up on others trying to prove a point, if it did I would be a lonely man.

[ June 28, 2004, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: BrianM ]

Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, Tom: Thanks.

BtL: I didn't think you were suggesting deleting anything, and you were right about the substantive part of the conversation.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Aging astronaut extremist?

Brian, seriously, are you feeling really sensitive about your age? No one else here has mentioned it as an issue, although you've repeatedly called other people young or inexperienced. For that matter, I've never called you an extremist OR an astronaut.

I think, perhaps, you are projecting your own concerns about your self-worth into posts that contain nothing of the kind.

That said, my primary concern has been to persuade you to moderate your tone. If your intention is indeed to do so immediately, I will gladly drop out of this conversation, per your request; may it return to its original topic far better than when we found it, eh?

[ June 28, 2004, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I opened this thread wanting to learn more about politics....

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
There was a movie a few years ago called Space Cowboys, starring Tommy Lee Jones, Clint Eastwood, James Garner, and Donald Sutherland. Clint Eastwood was the mayor of Carmel for a while when I was a kid (I grew up in a small town just outside of Carmel, which is, itself, a reasonably small town). He's no longer the mayor there, but you'd be surprised at how many people think he still is. Or maybe you wouldn't. Maybe you think he still is the mayor. But he's not. Actually, the last time he was particularly prominent in local politics that I can recall was about 7 years ago when a local ballot measure (I think it was M, but I can't really remember) came up for a new subdivision in the Rancho San Carlos area of Carmel Valley. The developers wanted to put in a new golf club along with a whole lot of new housing, which was in violation of the existing Carmel Valley Master Plan and the Greater Monterey County Master Plan, so they needed a ballot measure to amend the plans and draft a new one for the new subdivision. Carmel Valley, being a fairly undeveloped area, has a lot of relatively untouched nature, and, of course, lots of environmentalists. You can imagine how controversial the measure was. Clint was one of the investors in the new development, I think a pretty big one, so he caught a lot of flak from the anti-development campaign. As I recall, he was pretty upset about getting dragged through the mud about it.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
Originally posted by Tom Davidson
quote:
Ah.
Power down, space cowboy.

Tom you sre such a hypocrite, you remind me of the ACLU. It is not your intention to make this discussion more civil, it is your intention to put me down, treat me inferiorly and then try to come out of it morally superior. You are only fooling yourself.

[ June 28, 2004, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: BrianM ]

Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Interestingly enough, Clint Eastwood decided to hold the premiere of his film Absolute Power (he both directed and starred in that one) at the Galaxy 6 Theater, which is located in the Del Monte Shopping Center in Monterey. Monterey is about 10 miles or so north of Carmel. I remember thinking how strange it was to have a red carpet event at our mall. Not that it was a particularly huge movie or anything. The theater has a bus stop in front of it, but of course, that was completely blocked off for the event. I suppose that might have inconvenienced some of the mall-goers, but then, I don't know that there were many of them that day anyway. And, besides, there aren't that many busses through there anyway. The public transportation through Monterey isn't exactly the New York MTA.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Mr. Opera is a big Eastwood fan. I've actually watched "The Outlaw Josie Wales" and it was pretty good.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

What about Paint Your Wagon? If he likes that one, we'll know he's a true fan. Of course, we'll also know he's not quite right in the head. [Smile]
Space Opera
Member # 6504

lol...I've never heard him mention it. I got him "Pale Rider" for our anniversary and he was very excited.

space opera

saxon75
Member # 4589

Well, in case you're not familiar with it, Paint Your Wagon is a musical.

Clint Eastwood does not belong in musicals.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

Does he spit on a dog during it? He doesn't sing, does he?

space opera

sndrake
Member # 4941

[Laugh] Space Opera and Saxon75

*will remember this the next time someone complains about thread derailment being a BAD thing*

[Wink]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

I wouldn't call it singing, but I'm afraid that Clint would.
Space Opera
Member # 6504

But you didn't answer the most important question! Does he spit on a dog at any time? Now I'm thinking of renting this musical if only to dash Mr. Opera's perception of Eastwood. [Evil]

space opera

saxon75
Member # 4589

You know, it's been a long time since I've seen it, so I don't remember whether or not he ever spits on a dog.
sndrake
Member # 4941

I remember there's a lot of spitting in the movie, but I'm a little fuzzy on who spits on what.
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
*giggles*

http://daily.washpost.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=WPost/2004/06/29/22/Img/Pc0220700.jpg

I love Tom Toles...

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
This is even better than when BrianM was ranting about the Iliad [Smile]

Dag, you da man. I can't recollect if I was ever a schmuck to you (but knowing me, I probably was, sorry), but just wanted to say I enjoy reading your posts, and I think your original point-that Cheney's half-assed apology was the real meat-was good. And I agree with you that the VP's actual power in the Legislative branch is slight, greatly eclipsed by other members.

I've never much liked Cheney-too many of the things I've heard and know about him make me uneasy-and this is just another reason.

[ June 29, 2004, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: Rakeesh ]

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
It just occurred to me, this fight between Dagonee and BrianM is sort of reminescent of the fight between Leahy and Cheney.

I mean, if Cheney had REALLY apologized or handled it differently, the story would be different. Leahy's behavior prior to the confrontation would be mentioned. Now the story is Cheney's profanity and half-baked non-apology.

Like this thread, wherein the original argument about Cheney has become overshadowed by how much or whether or not BrianM is out of line.

Edit: I think I need to work on my skills at not responding to what people mean, but rather what they say, because replying to what is meant and in the same language rather than what is said gets one in trouble.

[ June 29, 2004, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: Rakeesh ]

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Thanks, Rakeesh. You've never been a schmuck to me, at least that I can recall. But really, almost no one at Hatrack ever has. Your take on things is interesting, not least because we often arrive at similar conclusions for very different reasons.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There was a movie a few years ago called Space Cowboys . . .
*has flashback of saggy old-man butts*

Gaaaaahh!

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
There was a movie a few years ago called Space Cowboys, starring Tommy Lee Jones, Clint Eastwood, James Garner, and Donald Sutherland.
How many people besides me thought Steve Miller should have been given a part in the movie?

(waiting...)

OK - Just me, then. [Razz]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

To Jon Boy: At least it should get a certain other picture out of your head.

[ June 29, 2004, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

saxon75
Member # 4589

I'm fairly certain that nothing will get that picture out of my head.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
:wonders if JB really prefers toned young man butts:

So, I don't know if this is a rehash, since I kind of skipped the 2nd page, but could Cheney be deliberately sabotaging himself so Bush can justify jetisonning him?

Also, as far as Clint eastwood goes, I think in his youth he rather resembled Hugh Jackman, who is quite the darling of the Broadway musical scene right now.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

o_O

No, I just think that of all the butts in the world, saggy, wrinkly, old-man butts are among the worst.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
you forgot "hairy." [Roll Eyes]

Was that really in that movie?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Yes. They're getting their physicals, so they're standing in the doctor's office, naked, and the camera pans past all four butts in a row.

*shudder*

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.