FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "About As Much Fun as Having Your Teeth Pulled" - Part 2: The Phrase Makes Sense

Author Topic: "About As Much Fun as Having Your Teeth Pulled" - Part 2: The Phrase Makes Sense
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
...Or just like it ::grins but winces and covers her mouth::.

That's right, I had all four of my wisdom teeth pulled on Thursday morning. They started coming in last Christmas, but the lower two only broke the surface about 3/4 of the way and weren't level with the others while the two upper teeth didn't even break the surface at all. It turns out that all four teeth, though they started coming in rather early, would have all done so completely by now had there been enough space for them. Thus, out they went.

The surgeon who removed them was very nice and friendly and the whole thing went smoothly, though I must admit that the dear lady had me rather worried after telling me there was some chance of losing all feeling in my lower jaw. Thankfully, that was not the case.

To be honest, though, it really wasn't all that bad. I didn't bleed very much at all and I haven't gone all puffy-faced either, both of which were very welcome surprises. Also, as someone who HATES needles, the IV they used to put me to sleep wasn't at all bad either: one moment the doctor was telling me that things would start looking funny about 5 minutes from then - I fell asleep about 15 seconds later.

Today was a bit of a surprise, though, as I was perfectly fine yesterday and the actual day of the surgery but, thanks to medicine I can't stomach at all, I was sick most of today. I'm doing great now, though, and I apologize for adding to the fluff thread count around here, I've just been holed up in my room for the past few days and am feeling rather chatty as a result. [Smile]

Also, I apologize for any basic grammar or spelling errors in this post - Vicodin can do that to you. ...And now it's back to bed [Wave] .

[ June 29, 2004, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: Pixie ]

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like you're pulling through nicely. My brother was in bed for most of the week after he had his pulled.

Btw, how old are you? I just turned 20 this tuesday, and I still haven't had mine pulled.... This troubles me somewhat.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

I'm still just 17. My teeth have been coming in early my whole life, though.

Still - ideally, honey, you should have them pulled before they start coming in. Just ask your dentist for an X-ray so that they can evaluate whether or not you need them pulled in the first place and they'll take care of it from there. [Smile]

[ June 26, 2004, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Pixie ]

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the dentist says that I don't need to have them pulled yet. It just seems like I'm way past the deadline.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
My mom scheduled my wisdom teeth to come out on my 21 birthday.

you got Vicodin? All I got was percocet.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not something everything needs. Only if they cause trouble. I had a terrible time when they took mine out, getting infections in all 4 sockets and so on, and the surgery was really unnecessary. The doctor said it was possible they might cause problems someday. I think if I had to do it again I would wait until they were causing problems before I did it. Perhaps they never would have caused any at all.

Glad yours went so well, Pixie! Hope you recover quickly! [Smile]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
One arguement FOR getting your wisdom teeth pulled without obvious need is the fact that they are nearly impossible to keep clean like the rest of your teeth, and almost always have cavities. No matter who you are. The cavities can turn into infections which are not felt, and you can have teeth infections which you do not feel and have no clue are seeping poisons into your system.

I've now known of four people who had illnesses wihtout names (or, generic names like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) which were directly caused by the above situation.

So, you know - it can be a very good thing.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Wisdom teeth are not as dense as the others. I think that's part of the reason they are susceptible to everything and crack and slough off.

-----

quote:
I fell asleep about 15 seconds later.
Do you remember falling asleep, or do you just not have any memory after that 15 seconds? It maybe that you fell asleep later. Most drugs that knock you out also have a small effect on your memory too.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

Hmmm... Just no memory whatsoever after that point until ... mmmm, I was going to say until I was in a different recovery room altogether but, I vaguely remember being ushered there after waking up. I also recall being very... lucid hehe. Nothing bad, just a little relaxed and chatty. [Smile]

Oh, and I finally managed to keep something down today! A little orange soda with excedrin in place of the stuff that made me sick, and I had a whole cup of warm tea with some miniature cupcakes I kind of begged my mum to make. ::grins tentatively:: I have no idea why or how, but that's the only food I've been able to have all day without feeling ill hehe. Strange, no?

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie's right, the little buggers are hard to keep from getting cavities. I only ever had three wisdom teeth -- one never existed. (This is apparently not all that uncommon.)

Now I have two -- one had to be extracted a couple years ago. They seem to be fine, though.

[ June 27, 2004, 02:31 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I had one removed on the beginning of the year. The two that are on my upper jaw are totally out, like any other teeth, so I won't have to remove them. The other one down is no problem for now, but there is a big chance I'll have to remove it later [Grumble]

[ June 27, 2004, 04:15 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azile
Member # 2312

- posted      Profile for Azile   Email Azile         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to get my wisdom teeth out because of my braces. I don't have wisdom teeth on my bottom, so I only needed to get out my two upper ones that haven't grown out at all then.

I was awake during my surgery, but the pain was very little. The horrible part was the blood- ai, so much blood. I kept watching it splatter onto my dentist's bib and glasses as they were cracking my teeth out. I honestly didn't realize that the procedure would be that... violent.

The surgery though, wasn't that bad at all. It was just all the blood afterwards that was terrible. Because my mouth was numb, blood kept dribbling from my lips and everytime I smiled at someone, it would be one toothy, bloody grin. When it started to become less numb, I could taste the blood and the while my toothless wound didn't hurt by itself, the cotten made it very sore.

I had some difficulty healing too because tiny chips of my teeth was still embedded in my gums- my teeth were not taken out completely (not suppose to) so my gums took a long time to heal over the protruding bits and so I kept on bleeding.

From what you have said about your experience, *Pats Pixie* You're truley one lucky, SOB (son of a bog). [Big Grin]

Oh, and I had difficulty eating too- not because of the medicine though but because of all my food was covered all in blood. Blood mashed potatoes. Blood MacNCheese.... Very appealing, no? Hope you recover quickly!

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Pixie! I got my wisdom teeth out last Friday. [Big Grin] Small world. Mine went absolutely perfectly, actually. I've been very impressed. I didn't get swollen at all. The bleeding stopped the first night (and was never bad to begin with). The Vicodin didn't make me sick, and I only needed to use a couple pills the first day and never again. I was back to work three days later with no problems. Now it only hurts occasionally, I can eat basically anything with a few problems getting food stuck in the holes (but that's easily rinsed out). It's wonderful. Feel free to be jealous of me now. [Evil]

Oh, and I'm 21. I only had three wisdom teeth and two were already coming up. I was so scared about getting them out, and now I'm so relieved! [Smile]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave one of my wisdom teeth to Jenni.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weezer
Member # 6643

- posted      Profile for weezer   Email weezer         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my heck! That is soooo romantic.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst]
I have to get my wisdom teeth out in August. I'm a wimp, I don't want to have to do it.
[Frown]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't romantic. It was random. Random is cool.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azile
Member # 2312

- posted      Profile for Azile   Email Azile         Edit/Delete Post 
They cracked my teeth out. So if anyone wants my wisdom teeth, bits of it are embedded in my gums and other parts of it are in shatters. I will mail it too you (ignore the gory bits- I call them gum meat [Big Grin] ).
Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Eruve, you could always have an experience like mine. [Smile] That's what I wish on people.

And yeah, Nathan sent me his wisdom tooth. It was a birthday present because lots of people had birthdays around the same time. Yeah, that was kinda gross...but it was totally funny. And I threw it away, incidently. [Wink]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Pixie--me too! I had five wisdom teeth removed a week before you. I feel your pain. And I advise everyone who hasn't had their wisdom teeth pulled to do what they can about having them pulled before they erupt. It's much better. My unerupted top teeth have been continually happy; the erupted bottom ones got dry socket and were generally annoying.

Down with teeth.

(My little sister has at least six and possibly seven or eight wisdom teeth. I count my blessings.)

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

... I thought people never got more than 4 wisdom teeth???

That and a word of caution for anyone who has yet to get their teeth pulled: Forget nausea and just eat. I didn't eat enough in the first two days and, since I'm already fairly thin, ended up making myself sick because I plain couldn't handle food after not having any. The medicine I mentioned earlier did compound it, but wasn't the real problem. I basically just forced myself to eat a full meal a few hours ago and ended up eating about 3 I was so hungry lol. Nothing too heavy, but enough to fill me up... and probably a little too much at that lol but feeling sick from too much food is MUCH better than feeling sick from none at all.

Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so I am like 31 and my wisdom teeth just started coming in last year! It was one of those wait and see what they come in like deals. Only my dental insurance isn't that great and I have no moolah to pull them. I am starting to have more frequent headaches which I am thinking may be related. And some of my front teeth are being pushed out of alignment. [Frown] I am the biggest wimp and dread getting mine out. [Angst]
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Pixie. Eat. I did the same thing as you after my surgery.

----

Yo, Wendybird! What's up! How's the business? (I need some sunless tanner.)

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I had my bottom two removed this past year at 30, because one came up far enough that it might cause problems. The top two will probably never move, so I left 'em in. It was not a bad experience, although the doctor kept talking about possible complications since I was "so old."

I got Vicoden, too. I would have rather had Percoccet. Ah well.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Why do they keep doling out Vicoden? It's terrible! Can anyone take it without losing their lunch? (Or, if no lunch was eaten, their gastric fluids?)

[ June 28, 2004, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

BlueJacsFan
Member # 6590

- posted      Profile for BlueJacsFan   Email BlueJacsFan         Edit/Delete Post 
I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled in high school. It wasn't quite as bad as ak and Azile's sounded, but it wasn't all that fun either. When they took my x-rays, the film didn't show that one of the roots was wrapped around a nerve. While they were in the middle of cutting that one out, I woke up and started moaning. I heard them say, "He's waking up! Quick, give him more gas!" Next thing I knew I was waking up in the recovery room. Once I got home, I laid down on a chair and slept for the rest of the day.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

Owwwww....

This may be TMI so consider yourself forewarned.

Anyways...

The roots of one of my teeth was either inside or too close to my sinus cavity. I woke up to chat with Paul for a bit and couldn't get back to sleep because I felt rather ill so I just walked around for a bit and tried to figure out what was going on. I eventually blew my nose a little and some of the stuff came out the hole from my tooth!!!!! I think I've managed to clear out most of my sinus cavity (one way or another >_<) by now but it realllllly hurts at the moment and the office where the surgery was done doesn't open for another 35 minutes. [Cry]

I hate pouting but... I want my normal mouth back. [Frown]

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Pixie)))
I'm so very sorry. [Frown]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

... They don't have an appointment available until four ... And it's at an office that's farther away, too. ::whimpers:: ...
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
How many here had 6 wisdom teeth removed?

[Wave]

It runs in the family.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Does that mean you're extra-wise?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Not any more.

On a related note. My twin brother went to the same oral surgeon who did my wisdom teeth. As most of you know, you go back a week later and have the stitches removed. Well, my brother went back on his appointed day. When he went up to the check in window he was told that the doctor had dropped dead of a heart attack several days before. My brother, ever the paragon of tact, asks "Well, who is going to take out my stitches?"

The doctor was in his mid-30's with a wife, 2 kids and one on the way. He had been out jogging and dropped dead. Really weird.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.