FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Spoiled Chicken

Author Topic: Spoiled Chicken
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this chicken was spoiled... I cooked about 3 pieces of it and ate some of it.
Now I am a little worried...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
You're worried?

That's not good.

Be not worried!

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weezer
Member # 6643

- posted      Profile for weezer   Email weezer         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh . . . drink lots and lots of water I s'pose.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azile
Member # 2312

- posted      Profile for Azile   Email Azile         Edit/Delete Post 
It won't kill you.

But you will wish it did. [Evil Laugh]

J/k

[ June 27, 2004, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: Azile ]

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how many times I've bought chicken from the store I work at only for it to be spoiled. I had to throw out some today.
It should be fresh as I can't afford to throw out chicken every five seconds...
What a lousy dinner...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You will wish you were dead. [Frown]

I got food poisoning from chicken twice.

Both times, I asked my roommates to shoot me.

They declined. *shakes fist*

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Was it because the chicken was undercooked or smelled weird when you cooked it?
Azile
Member # 2312

I've unknowingly ate a lot of spoiled food before, according to my mom, no food ever expired until mold starts growing out of it noticeably. But after eating a lot of spoiled food, I always came out fine.
Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azile
Member # 2312

Or maybe I just have a strong stomach.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Undercooked.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I did cook it well. It just half smells and tastes weird....
So far... Nothing...

weezer
Member # 6643

*Starts to shake violently*
Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weezer
Member # 6643

*Collapses on bathroom floor*
weezer
Member # 6643

*twitch, twitch*
mackillian
Member # 586

Give it about four hours.
weezer
Member # 6643

my bad
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
If you tell yourself that you're going to get food poisioning and be miserable, than you surely will. [Smile] If you tell yourself not to worry and just stop thinking about it, chances are you'll be just fine.

However, you might want to mention it to the managers if this is a common problem at their store, neh? [Dont Know]

[ June 27, 2004, 12:40 AM: Message edited by: Zeugma ]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
If you were a vegetarian, you wouldn't have to worry about chicken. [Razz] Just kidding. Eating vegetarian has its downfalls too. Today we went to a baseball game outing sponsored by Mr. Opera's company. Dinner was hotdogs and hamburgers. I had to go buy a cheese pizza while everyone else ate for free.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

That's what's nice about living in an "enlightened" town. [Smile] It's almost unheard of to not accomodate vegetarians when planning an event.... shoot, a lot of places apologize for not being vegan, or not vegan enough!
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife brought some chicken breasts home and put them in the fridge and left them for ten days. The fridge got to smelling like a sewer. I finally got tired of waiting for someone to cook it, so I put the chicken in a baking pan, smothered it with cajun spices and put it in the oven to broil. Best chicken I ever tasted. Reminded me of the movie Shogun with that dead bird hanging until it got nice and ripe.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you tell yourself that you're going to get food poisioning and be miserable, than you surely will. If you tell yourself not to worry and just stop thinking about it, chances are you'll be just fine.
quote:
That's what's nice about living in an "enlightened" town. It's almost unheard of to not accomodate vegetarians when planning an event.... shoot, a lot of places apologize for not being vegan, or not vegan enough!
Poly, I can never really take a stand on how I feel about you, because you can go from super cool to lame-o in the same thread! One or the other! In or out--you're letting the flies in! [Wink]

[ June 27, 2004, 01:49 AM: Message edited by: Frisco ]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
We never keep chicken in the fridge. We always freeze it, then thaw it just before cooking.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, folks, time for a little teaching session.

I worked for KFC for a little over five years and will now tell you how to check your chicken.

Fresh chicken has a clean smell and is moist. If it has never been frozen, and is kept under 35 degrees, it has a maximum shelf life (from it's kill date) of about seven days. If your refrigerator is warmer, it diminishes the shelf life. FOr example, chicken in a 40 degree range is only good for three days.

In fresh chicken, there will be a moist texture and the juices will run clear. The older the product, the less clear the juices. When the juices become cloudy, throw it away. If it starts to get slimey, it is getting old. If your fingers stick to a piece, it is too old to serve. If the skin is starting to get a greenish tinge, it is too old to serve. If it is starting to smell, it is too old to serve.

If you buy chicken, either cook it immediately of freeze it until cooking. Do not keep it in your refrigerator for several days.

Almost all raw chicken contains salmonella. Chicken must be cooked to an internal temperature of at least 165 to kill this.

If you go from handling the chicken package or the raw chicken to handling another food item, you must wash your hands first. You do not want to contaminate your salad with the salmonella (called cross contamination).

Every KFC in the country receives fresh chicken in two or three times a week. If the kill date is older than three days ago, they are to reject it. So, if a KFC is getting three day old chicken, that is probably the age of the chicken in your grocery store. With this in mind, I would never buy fresh chicken that is put in the "reduced for quick sale" section. You have no idea how old this is.

Also, I would never buy fried chicken from the deli section of your grocery store. Guess where the meat market sends all of their chicken that is starting to turn or is past it's shelf life?

When I buy raw chicken product, I always buy frozen. It is frozen at the processing plant immediately after killing and cutting and is kept frozen all the way to my freezer. This way, I know that there is no problem with kill date or shelf life.

Hope this helped someone with their chicken questions.

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

But Frisco! If Lame-O Aja can't run free at Hatrack, where can she? I certainly don't want her messing with Cool Aja in The Real World™....

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.