FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Today's useless fact is ... (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Today's useless fact is ...
weezer
Member # 6643

- posted      Profile for weezer   Email weezer         Edit/Delete Post 
You keep nasty locusts! Give it to us raw and wriggling!
Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
By raise of hands, who believes that weezer is really Jon's sister, and who thinks he's gone back to talking to himself?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weezer
Member # 6643

No! I really am his kid-sister. He's about 6 1/2 years older than me. Would Jon Boy do this:

supposably [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Gah!
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
ACK! Ok, ok, I believe you! STOP!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I'm happy weezer is on Hatrack, even if it's only because she wants to pick up on all the hot, single, male Jatraqueros. [Wink]

[ June 27, 2004, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Brinestone ]

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, for random facts, check out www.factmonster.com

Has kept me mildly entertained through thousands of hours of sitting here at work.

Edited to add: Hey weezer, want to help me do something EVIL to Jon?

[ June 27, 2004, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: T_Smith ]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I'm sad that she would rather frequent the forum of an author whose book she's never read than the forum of her own brother.

You're hurtful.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weezer
Member # 6643

*Full House audience says "aw"*

Thanks, Brinestone. That makes me feel W'n'F! [Big Grin]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Ha ha! T_Smith enlists Teen Girl Squad to get revenge on a guy who hasn't done anything to him. That's awesome.
weezer
Member # 6643

That reminds me, Jonbert . . .

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/93/93gphillip.phtml

[ June 27, 2004, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: weezer ]

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon, you laugh now, but try going home for the holidays, only to wake up with shaving cream on your face, and peanut butter in your hair.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Wow. Original. And I have a whole six months to get ready for it!
weezer
Member # 6643

Yeah! Raspberry scented shaving cream and chunky peanut butter! [Evil]
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, weezer,

now you can have Jon Boy explain the "out of context" thread and why you're in it.

[Evil]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weezer
Member # 6643

what?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I'll tell you when you're older.
weezer
Member # 6643

pygmies!
NdRa
Member # 2295

- posted      Profile for NdRa   Email NdRa         Edit/Delete Post 
Elephants are the only animals on this planet that cannot jump. Fancy that.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NdRa
Member # 2295

Uh yeah, you know, opposed to ones on other planets.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's think about this. What about:
clams
oysters
slugs
snails
centipedes
ants
millipedes
Bob (the guy with no arms, no legs, swimming)
snakes (some can, but can all?)
Anemones

Surely, you don't believe that all of these can jump?

[ June 27, 2004, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

And not counting animals that have no legs . . .
sndrake
Member # 4941

Dead possums don't play any more.
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

*Has never seen a hippo jump*
weezer
Member # 6643

T_Smith, you added an offer to do something evil to Jonbert, eh? Muh-ha-ha-ha [Evil Laugh] Talk to me.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Oh, please. T's idea of a prank is to rearrange the posters in his own room and then blame it on someone else.
weezer
Member # 6643

Or is it? Dun-dun-dun. [Frown]
weezer
Member # 6643

And wait a minute, Jon. You had to leave and didn't play Scrabble with me because it was "getting late," but here you are chattin' it up on Hatrack.
Kraid
Member # 6302

- posted      Profile for Kraid   Email Kraid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, please. T's idea of a prank is to rearrange the posters in his own room and then blame it on someone else.
[Evil Laugh]
Posts: 20 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Female mosquitoes look for hosts to suck blood from after mating.

So that makes us...?

NdRa
Member # 2295

Ack! Maybe elephants are the only land mammals that can't possibly jump.
Jerryst316
Member # 5054

- posted      Profile for Jerryst316   Email Jerryst316         Edit/Delete Post 
The Hudson River isnt actually a river but a title estuary because it is deeper than the body of watter it flows into.
Posts: 107 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weezer
Member # 6643

specifics, shmecifics
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is the fear of long words
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Florida is soon predicted to surpass Idaho in potato production. [Wink]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
The world's first Computer Programmer was Ada Lovelace, who was daugther of Lord Byron.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I never even knew Byron HAD a daughter. I read he was rather on the gay side.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

quote:
Even for adults, 4000 mg of Tylenol and 2400 mg of ibuprofen are considered to be daily maxima. If he's a pediatric, it's probably less. And for an adult, a temp of 103 usually warrants a trip to a doctor. For kids you may want to go at 102

Snarky
Member # 4406

- posted      Profile for Snarky   Email Snarky         Edit/Delete Post 
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is not a real word.
Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia

Etymology
Combination of elements suggesting largeness or length, deliberately forming a word likely to induce the fear it denotes: hippopotomonstro- (irregular blend [influenced by connective -o-, from French, from Latin, from Greek—connective vowel of most nouns and adjectives in combination] of hippopotamus and monstro-, from Latin monstr-, monstrum, monster) + sesquippedalio- (incorrectly formed from sesquipedalian or Latin sesquipedalia, things one and a half feet long) + -phobia, from phobia

[edit]
Noun
The fear of long words.
[edit]
Usage
"Never say, 'Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia'. I'm scared of that word; it's too long!"
[edit]
Quotations
2002 - However, we assume that despite the best endeavours of science, some phobias will always remain. These include paraskavedekatriaphobia, or fear of Friday the 13th. And hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, which is fear of long words. - anon, The Scotsman (April 9, 2002) page 13.
2002 - Those who find this column troubling are suffering from hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia - the fear of long words. Or, more likely, rupophobia - a fear of rubbish. - Chris Lloyd in The Northern Echo (December 14, 2002) page 10
___

In the book Useless Knowledge, this enormous word was misinterpreted by the authors as two words, causing them to list the fear of long words as the following:

hippopotomonstroses
and quippedaliophobia
—further distortions of an already very incorrectly formed word (see Etymology above)!

[edit]
Synonyms
sesquipedalophobia

[ July 01, 2004, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: kaioshin00 ]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I love long words.

Its hippo's that scare me.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snarky
Member # 4406

- posted      Profile for Snarky   Email Snarky         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I know you can find plenty of "dictionary" entries online that give you a definition and etymology and whatnot, but the fact is that the word hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia was made up as a joke.
Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Mr.Gumby   Email Mr.Gumby         Edit/Delete Post 
The is sad but apparantly true.

Amazon ants (red ants found in the western U.S.) steal the larvae of other ants to keep as slaves. The slave ants build homes for and feed the Amazon ants, who cannot do anything but fight. They depend completely on their slaves for survival

EDIT: I'm not saddened for the ants just the fact of slavery

[ July 01, 2004, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Mr.Gumby ]

Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting biological quirk.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Ants invented the arch as an architectural element several hundred million years before humans did.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC, the concrete in the Hoover Dam will not be completely hardened for another 40 years.

It keeps getting stronger and stronger.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Whatever. You hide your Nerdular Nerdence behind your Ambercrumbie & Finch Quarterly just so the other kids don't suspect that you're a nerd.
I love this thread.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
wasn't China's Great Wall that was built and had human corpses in it? Weren't they the workers?
I heard a story about a woman whose husband had been working on the wall, but he never returned. The woman was walking on it one day when the bitterness of her tears opened a section of the wall to reveal her husband's remains.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
wasn't China's Great Wall that was built and had human corpses in it? Weren't they the workers?
I heard a story about a woman whose husband had been working on the wall, but he never returned. The woman was walking on it one day when the bitterness of her tears opened a section of the wall to reveal her husband's remains.

There are about a half dozen men similarly entombed in Sears Tower.

The way I heard the explanation was that the construction crews were pouring concrete into the core supports (keep in mind that this building is nearly a quarter mile TALL!) and a could guys either lost balance or got knocked over or something. Even if the concrete crew were to stop pouring instantly, the sheer volume of concrete being poured ensured that there would have been no way to have rescued the fallen so they had to just keep on going.

Goody

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turgan
Member # 6697

- posted      Profile for Turgan   Email Turgan         Edit/Delete Post 
pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis (also known as Black Lung) is a disease that is usually in a coal miners body.

Mosquitos Get Athletes Foot.

Schwarzeneggar is hard to spell if your taking a test.

Posts: 529 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.