FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Insomniac Birds

Author Topic: Insomniac Birds
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Are there birds that sing at night? I just went outside to smoke, and at 2 in the morning there are birds singing. I know it's not owls. They whistle, whistle, whistle, then warble for a second, then a few more whistles. I've heard them on other occasions as well.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Those aren't birds!

Those are aliens!

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Mockingbirds sing at night.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. Interesting. I remember noticing as a child that the birds that started singing in the morning started singing *veeery* early in the morning--like 4 am. Maybe they were mockingbirds?

Then I remember camping one year and in the middle of the night some hell-beggotten critter uttered the most frightening cry I have ever heard. Darn loud! No human could have made that sound.... To this day I wonder what it was I heard.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Mocking birds seem to sing at any hour of the day or night, and have a very varied song.

Usually, when I hear a bird all out singing and it's a varied song, and it's dark out, it's a mockingbird.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
prolly just your parents, bev. in the act of trying to produce another such as yourself.

[Razz]

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
The hermit thrush sings in the early, early morning.(about 4 am or so)
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

A whippoorwill also sings at night.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"Then I remember camping one year and in the middle of the night some hell-beggotten critter uttered the most frightening cry I have ever heard. Darn loud! No human could have made that sound.... To this day I wonder what it was I heard."

Where were you camping, Beverly? It might have been a bobcat.

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
It was out in Texas somewhere, not sure where. It was a really, really scary sound. [Angst]

Fallow, my parents would have to be pretty loud then since they were at least 100 miles away.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Beverly, it really might have been a bobcat. They are everywhere, actually. It sounds like they are screaming. Sort of like a housecat-fight sound, but intensified.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"some hell-beggotten critter uttered the most frightening cry I have ever heard"

Racoons fighting, or at least threatening. Useta have 'em in the yard all the time, with an occasional threat in my direction.

[ June 27, 2004, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Fallow, my parents would have to be pretty loud then since they were at least 100 miles away.
It worked once, didn't it?
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, this is just weird.

For about five or six years, we have had a bobcat living in or around our back yard.(It backs up against a swamp, and woods.) There have been many sightings over the years, especially when our cat was in heat. Some people say it is a bobcat-straight up. Some say it must be a mix. Some say it is just a cat.(I am of the all=bobcat camp)

I had just read this thread, and thought that the insomniac sound might be a bobcat's. I started to think that it had been a long time since I had seen Bob.(as we call him-very original)

Last evening, as my husband and son were playing a game of whiffleball, he appeared. He just sat looking at us from the tall grass so long that we FINALLY got some pictures. Dagnabbit, though, the camera battery ran out so we can;t load them or look at them, and we don't know if we FINALLY have proof.

So, that is all. Just thought I would share.

ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard an extremely scary cry one night outside my house. I think it was the scream of something being killed. I'm not sure. It was blood curdling.

Yes, I've heard the racoons fighting noise too and that is also very scary.

But Mockingbirds, particularly in springtime, do sing their mating songs all night long. They are just very excited and can't sleep. You know how love is! [Smile]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kerinin
Member # 4860

- posted      Profile for kerinin           Edit/Delete Post 
did you know that some birds are capable of sleeping with one half of their brain while retaining a semi-aware state with the other? they can literally sleep with one eye (and one half their brain) open. more cool bird sleeping trivia: many birds are capable of "sleeping" in really short bursts, like half a second, so they sort of oscillate between being asleep and awake every second or so, allowing them to "sleep" while still retaining moderate awareness of what's going on.

bird brains rock!!!

Posts: 380 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.