FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pro war Kerry...

Author Topic: Pro war Kerry...
michaele8
Member # 6608

- posted      Profile for michaele8   Email michaele8         Edit/Delete Post 
I found this site interesting even though it was written in the primary season:

http://www.why-war.com/news/2004/02/12/democrac.html

On the war issue supporting Kerry for being a "peace" candidate may bite people in their collective rear-ends if used too much. Kerry voted to bomb Serbia and he voted to invade Iraq. I really see no difference between Bush and Kerry on use of force. If anything, it may be an establishment "good cop v. bad cop" type thing -- vote for Bush if you want to use troops to keep things under control in the world v. vote Kerry if you are for peace (he'll do the same thing as Bush, but we won't talk about that too much).

I support Bush, and will vote for him based on other issues but to vote for Kerry as some sort of messanger of peace ignores both his past votes as well as whatever he is saying today.

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
You support a total loser.
Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Bush will lose by a large margin.
Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michaele8
Member # 6608

The SilverBlue Sun, now click your heels three times and say it again and it might come true.

Oh, and here is something else to consider:

"The "anyone but Bush" movement objects to the Coke-Pepsi analogy, and Ralph Nader is the current source of their ire. In Britain, seven years ago, similar derision was heaped upon those who pointed out the similarities between Tony Blair and his heroine Margaret Thatcher - similarities which have since been proven. "It's a nice and convenient myth that liberals are the peacemakers and conservatives the warmongers," wrote the Guardian commentator Hywel Williams. "But the imperialism of the liberal may be more dangerous because of its open-ended nature - its conviction that it represents a superior form of life."

Like the Blairites, John Kerry and his fellow New Democrats come from a tradition of liberalism that has built and defended empires as "moral" enterprises. That the Democratic Party has left a longer trail of blood, theft and subjugation than the Republicans is heresy to the liberal crusaders, whose murderous history always requires, it seems, a noble mantle. "

http://www.thetruthseeker.co.uk/article.asp?ID=1591

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone really expect massive changes if Kerry is elected? I will vote for him if I vote at all because he is less likely than Bush to get us into a new war, but it is not as though the guy is going to repeal the Patriot Act or anything. The two both suck up to minority groups they could care less about. They are both rich white men who did not have to work, with their most noticeable difference being that Kerry seems less sincerely religious.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
But do you really want to support a president who cut founding for veterans?
And yet claims to care about our armed forces?
I feel disillusioned with politics, but I'm hoping Kerry will take the efforts to clean up this mess.
But, none of these politicians are very much different from each other.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Danzig, I wouldn't vote for a candidate based on his likelihood of getting us into a new war. I'd vote for a candidate based on the likelihood that he'll make smart decisions about any new conflict, whether that means war or not.

Which points me to neither candidate [sigh].

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

John Kerry is a douche bag but I am voting for him anyway.

Edit: Geoff, that is because you are a better person than I am. I do not want this nation to go to war again, because I feel that war will be (perhaps is being) used to justify the abuse of civil liberties. More importantly, I worry about the draft. While I would probably be able to get out of it, I would rather have a clean medical record.

[ June 28, 2004, 05:07 AM: Message edited by: Danzig ]

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michaele8
Member # 6608

I'll bet many people voted for Clinton over Dole in 1996 for the same reasons and then Clinton bombed Iraq how many times? And wasn't he the one who bombed Serbia?

Beware of candidates promising peace -- just remember Woodrow Wilson and LBJ.

kerinin
Member # 4860

- posted      Profile for kerinin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
with their most noticeable difference being that Kerry seems less sincerely religious.
[No No]

i daresay their most noticeable difference is that kerry can construct a grammatically correct sentance without the assistance of a teleprompter.

Posts: 380 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michaele8
Member # 6608

Kerinin, I think you spell "sentance" the following way:

sentence [No No] [Big Grin]

Your post:

quote:
i daresay their most noticeable difference is that kerry can construct a grammatically correct sentance without the assistance of a teleprompter.
Also, your "i" should be capitalized.

[ June 28, 2004, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: michaele8 ]

Danzig
Member # 4704

As opposed to the candidate that has already gotten us into two wars?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.