FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Orson Scott Card rips into John Kerry.

Author Topic: Orson Scott Card rips into John Kerry.
michaele8
Member # 6608

- posted      Profile for michaele8   Email michaele8         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone check out Card's analysis of the Kerry campaign? Really good reading and very insightful.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it's pretty much your standard conservative screed (which is surprising, since OSC tends to have a different angle, even if he often reaches the same conclusion as more mainstream conservative commentators). Some people on Ornery pointed out some factual errors in the piece; one that really got me was the inaccurate jab at Dean; Dean had his own faults, but OSC completely mischaracterized Dean's actual position on Iraq (HINT: it was pretty close to Kerry's today).

The main difference was that Dean never voted for the war, and probably would not have voted so had he been in a position to (fruitless speculation either way, admittedly), but he also recognized that he would likely inherit (assuming he was elected) the situation, and an immediate pullback, ala Kucinich or Nader, would be unwise. Dean was for more internationalization of the troops.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We have a war going on. Anybody who's serious about winning it...
[ROFL] Hahahah...winning...hahaha...

*catches breath*

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, Letterman is not on NBC.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
It's more double-talk from the GOP smear machine. They get away with saying he's extremely and consistently liberal out of one side of their mouths, and out of the other side saying he flip-flops all the time. Soundbite and single-line politics always disgusts me, especially when they're laden with all the nasty vitriol as in OSC's editorial.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC is spreading lies about Dean???

[Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Who cares about Dean?
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Well, I care a little, having been a supporter of his, and generally don't like mischaracterizations of people I have supported [Smile]

But as far as political reality goes, he's pretty inert right now.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Smear Dean not! He is a wise, kind man! I shall detest anyone who dares to slander his reputation!
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Dean's ugly and his Momma dresses him funny.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
This article was on Ornery. For five extra credit points, can anyone explain for me why Ornery exists?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

To eat into msquared's productivity, I think [Smile]

-Bok

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
It's on the front page of Hatrack, too.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
So that we can have serious discussion that isn't drowned in frivolty, bonding, fluff, and discussions above movies, fiction, food, babies, etc?
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Ornery exists 'cause geezers gotta have a place to rant.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
The left right thread is about culture. Whether Cheney contributes to a civil society is cultural. But partisan belching contests really aren't. With all deference to our host, of course. I'm not saying such contests shouldn't exist, just that OSC has gone to some trouble to give them a place.

You may now go back to your regularly scheduled newbie roast.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
I read "Orson Scott Card trips into John Kerry"
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Now THAT'S a story!
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You may now go back to your regularly scheduled newbie roast.
*thinks maybe pooka snuck away with the barbecue sauce, because, like, it's gone*

[ June 29, 2004, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"can anyone explain for me why Ornery exists?"

Ornery exists because OSC wanted to have a place where he could whine about Bill Clinton.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 1549

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw         Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe it exists so that OSC has a way to listen to you whine? Either way Paul got the real reason right.
Posts: 110 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Or maybe it exists so that OSC has a way to listen to you whine?"

Nope. I was happy with my statement of fact the first time around, thanks. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if it is a fact, no wonder you didn't post it at ornery...it would stick out.... [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it existed so that I could come to Hatrack and completely ignore anything political. [Smile]
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC's political rants always baffle me.

He comes off as such a wise man in his fiction... but then he opens his mouth about real world politics, and drops off the deep end.

Like his review of The Day After Tommorow. Can anyone explain to me what the hell OSC is talking about in this quote?

quote:
There's the standard lie that Leftist idiots tell about our current administration -- that it's really run by the Vice-President. And the more subtle lie that this is an administration that ignores danger and refuses to take decisive action -- which is the opposite of the truth, considering that they're getting crucified for taking action too quickly and too decisively.
Does OSC even listen to anyone on the "left"? Apparently not. I've never heard either one of these ideas expressed by anyone about any right wing government.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Ornery exists for the same reason Hatrack exists-- community building.

Someone once said that OSC's real political affiliation was communitarianism. Does anyone know where I can find the communitarian party website?

[Smile]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom D,

Was that an honest opinion you gave up yonder in the posts?

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Communitarianism sounds like a nicer way of saying authoritarianism.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I get the picture that he would prefer a theocratic democracy, heavy on the theocratic part.
Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Ornery exists for the same reason Hatrack exists-- community building.

And making fun of people.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

what sort of people?
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alai's Echo
Member # 3219

- posted      Profile for Alai's Echo           Edit/Delete Post 
No, making fun of people would get you banned. Oh, wait, no it won't. That only happens when certain individuals don't like you.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

what sort of certain individuals?

(darn that was a long sentence to type out)

fallow

The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what Dan Brown thinks of John Kerry?

Does J.K. Rowling hate all the Idiot leftists?

Does Nora Roberts support a draft?

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard people say that about Chaney, but I don't think he has enough time to run the country AND fill Haliburton's pockets at the same time, so i don't believe it.

Also, Bush is getting creamed for going into Iraq too soo, or at all, depending on who if talking.

And there are all sorts of accusations towards Bush (some reasonable accusations, some unreasonable) about his response time during 9/11 and before it.

I think what OSC was gretting at was that the "left" can't have it's cake and eat it too....complain about going there at all, and then say Bush took too much time / too few troops to do it then.

Not that i agree, but that was his point, IMO.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's precisely because he's a moderate that the Left is so rabid in their attacks on him [GWB].
-- From OSC's World Watch Column

Let's go through all of GWB's 'moderate' positions, shall we? How about a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage? That's some moderation right there. And his stance on abortion? He clearly toes the line. And his religious beliefs? Clearly, he is equally accepting of athiests as he is as he is of evangelical fundamentalists.

Yep, seems like a moderate to me. That's why I'm so darned mad at Bush. Stop the moderation!!

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No, making fun of people would get you banned. Oh, wait, no it won't. That only happens when certain individuals don't like you.
Conspiracy theory is a wonderful thing.

Make a case or stop the whining, m'kay?

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps someone could tell me what's unreasonable about "Bush shouldn't have gone to Iraq but if he was going to go he should have done it right so the chaos and disruption was minimal".

The contradiction still completely eludes me.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alai's Echo
Member # 3219

- posted      Profile for Alai's Echo           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Make a case or stop the whining, m'kay?

Mmmm`kay
Posts: 72 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant!

AE, I probably just missed this, but who are you?

[ July 12, 2004, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
While I realize this wasn't directed at him, I think it perfectly fits Card's recent Op-Eds.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.