FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How geeky are you? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How geeky are you?
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
We had an orchestra when I went to High School...we just called it "Band."

[Taunt]

Honestly, I know there is a techinical difference but I would still see both versions playing "Eye of the Tiger" at concerts, so what is the diff? [Big Grin]

I had gotten 49% or some such last time I checked. It keeps going up, though, the more I talk to other geeks. For example, once I heard who Jeanine Salla was, I had to go back and re-do the test. Still resisting urge to learn how to program calculator and do high and roll step simultaneously.

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I love nothing more than the idea of a bunch of old gentlemen sitting around a pub drinking scotch, smoking cigars and talking about literature and academics.
So you're a Pretentious Geek.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, how many cellists do we have here, anyway? Me, Tom (didn't he say that he played?), Megan, and did Hobbes just imply that he played, too?
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
fil, MY high school orchestra NEVER played Eye of the Tiger. We played Brandenburg Concertos and some of Handel's Concerti Grossi, and other things written specifically for a string orchestra (no brass, winds, or percussion). The band played pop songs and marched for football games.

and to continue de-railing the thread...wow, more Hatrack cellists? ...could there be a hatrack cello choir? Neat! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- cellist
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Pep band ALWAYS played "Eye of the Tiger" at basketball games. So did jazz band. I loved it.

< - high class, low brass.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Don't get me wrong, Farmgirl; I have nothing against Eye of the Tiger, per se. I just have a problem with high school string orchestras playing things that are much better suited to bands simply because their directors are too overworked (or lazy) to find all the good music written for string orchestra. Pep band/jazz band/marching band is a much better place for tunes like that.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm only a 19 percent Geek...however, I think more should be added to your score if you're sad about your low level of geekiness.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

That is a LONG frickin' test! I gave up halfway through and quit answering, and still got 21%

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
I've done this one a while ago. I think I was somewhere around 30%. The guy next to me got over 50%, and another guy who got 30-ish had his wife try it and she got about 45.

Fun test, but long.

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
I KNOW I am NOT the geekiest one here.

The Geek Club election thread seems to be missing. But I certainly wasn't president.

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
FYI
You have requested a topic that does not exist!

ยป Please use your browser's back button to return.

[Confused]
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Band = Brass, Woodwinds, & Percussion

Orchestra = All of the above plus strings

Katharina,

No only pretentious, but elitist too!

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
So, when's the last time you did that? Last week? Last month? Ever?

It's just been my experience that the truly-secure aesthetes have nothing to prove. *grin*

[ July 01, 2004, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Primal, orchestra can also be just a string orchestra. There's plenty of music written for just strings (or strings plus harpsichord) from all periods of music history, particularly since orchestras in the baroque and part of the classical period were just that...strings. Brass, winds, and percussion didn't get added til later.
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
See now, this is geeky.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
44.97041% - Major Geek. And proud of it.
Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Very geeky, Hobbes. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
29.38856% - Total Geek

About what I expected.

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Would be geekier on a Linux box.

You'd take the geek cake if you were doing it on a tricked out Amiga. [Razz]

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I used to be doing it on a Linux box, but then a faster comoputer came and the Sys Admin couldn't get Red Hat installed so instead it's XP.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
There are other types of Geek than Computer Geek.

Case in point:

62.52465% - Extreme Geek.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

The fact that you haven't just downloaded an iso of Redhat and installed it yourself shows your low-level of computer geekiness.
Mockingbird
Member # 5640

- posted      Profile for Mockingbird   Email Mockingbird         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a Geek, but only a minor one, chiefly due to my love of SF & fantasy (I crushed the literature section) and odd trivia. My score was 16%.

I sent this test to my computer programmer/video game-playing brother, who I think has beat everyone I know with a score of 67% - Geek God.

I also took the time to follow the link to the related message board, where a high score is viewed as a sign of greatness. Some poor (my term, not his) guy scored 90%. [Eek!]

Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I had my oldest son take the test last night -- he got a 42.6% I think, and that is without him even knowing any programming languages. But he was strong on the sci-fi books, movies, and RPG stuff.

So he's geekier than me.

Farmgirl

Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh.

Makes you proud, doesn't it? Just brings a tear to the eye....

Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
39.8% Major Geek

I want ASIMO!!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
38.65878% - Major Geek
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I think it's weird seeing JTK post. I mean, I made the handle.

It's just weird.

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmph. No one's even cracked 50%. And you call yourselves geeks.

edit: oops I forgot to look at the first page.
No one except Misha McBride, Ralphie, fugu, Zevlag, alucard....

Never mind that I posted this.

[ July 03, 2004, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: kaioshin00 ]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
::glare::
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.