FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hussein in Court Today

Author Topic: Hussein in Court Today
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Former Iraqi Dictator Informed He Would Be Charged With War Crimes, Crimes Against Humanity

quote:
"I am Saddam Hussein, the president of Iraq," the former dictator declared twice when asked to identify himself. He declined to sign formal papers at his arraignment, reportedly because he did not have his lawyers.

"This is all theater. The real criminal is Bush," he said, according to initial pool reports, which may change as official translations become available.

He reportedly smiled when informed that the government would pay for a lawyer if he could not afford one, noting that he had heard he had "millions" stashed away in Geneva.

Pool reporters said Hussein called the Kuwaitis "dogs" during the hearing, and was admonished by the Iraqi judge that he was standing in a court of law and could not use such language.

"How can you, as an Iraqi, say the 'invasion of Kuwait' when Kuwait is part of Iraq?" he asked the judge.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
This will be immensely pleasing theater, if nothing else [Smile]
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Hussein ranting only helps Bush - unless he has some incriminating evidence about something.

But Hussein calling Bush a criminal will undoubtedly cause some undecideds to link Hussein with other people calling Bush a criminal. Even if that's unfair, it will happen.

Imagine Bush's ad with Hussein's rants thrown in? Much more effective, and much more relevant.

I'm not saying it's fair, just likely.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, it would be in pretty poor taste for the Bush Campaign to link Hussein's rants with his critics.

But it could happen, and I certainly don't put it past them. One of the reasons being, Dubya needs to start hitting back *soon* if he wants to have a shot, I think.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

He was acalled a liar by Kerry, not to mention Gore's speech after the Commission report.

Also, it's impossible to separate Moore from the Democrats. Whether he's officially part of their camp or not, he's publicly allied himself with Kerry; his attacks must be met.

Dagonee

kerinin
Member # 4860

- posted      Profile for kerinin           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised these proceedings aren't being televised, seems like the admin would have pushed for this to make this story a more prominant news item.
Posts: 380 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think it was just the one hearing, kind of like our preliminary hearing here -- just statement of charges.

I'll bet it will be televised when it actually goes to trial next year.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kerinin
Member # 4860

- posted      Profile for kerinin           Edit/Delete Post 
by which time it will make little difference...
Posts: 380 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.