FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lost Boys

Author Topic: Lost Boys
Melvin13
Member # 6671

- posted      Profile for Melvin13   Email Melvin13         Edit/Delete Post 
EDIT- THIS THREAD MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THE SHORT STORY "LOST BOYS"

I read a short story in a book by Card "The Hanged man" the story was lost boys. I didn't quite get what haapened. Is there anyone who had read it that will tell me what happened? [Confused]

[ July 06, 2004, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: Melvin13 ]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I know what happens in the book "Lost Boys", but if it's not the same story...well, I'd look like an idiot, now wouldn't I? Oh, wait, I already do. Nevermind. [Wall Bash]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
Ack, that's a difficult question to answer. It's not difficult because what happened is unclear; rather, I just absolutely hate the idea of posting it on a public forum where people who haven't read the story might come across it.

Suffice to say, the story is fiction, despite the characters OSC uses here.

Edit: Oh, yeah, and the novel is the same story, just expanded and with different character names.

[ July 05, 2004, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Bekenn ]

Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
x-files.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melvin13
Member # 6671

I think I'll read it again. Maybe I'll get more of it.

I knew it was fiction, I read the afterward. I'm glad I did, sounded scary even if I didn't know what was going on...

[ July 05, 2004, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: Melvin13 ]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

If you still can't understand what's happened after you read it again, send me an e-mail or contact me on AIM and I'll try to help you out.

I found the end more sad than scary...far scarier to never know what happened than to know the truth, at least for me. [Dont Know]

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
It was sad, Boon, and a terrible shock. I cried after the disbelief and shock wore off. It was really one of Mr. Card's best pieces of writing all the way around.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melvin13
Member # 6671

I don't quite get how the boys can come over for Christmas when they're dead, or how they lose Scotty in the end. If you could email me that'd be great.
Melvin588@msn.com

Thanks

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*MILD SPOILER WARNING*

It's a ghost story. With one more ghost than you'd initially expect.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin - you should edit your last post to either delete the spoiler or add big spoiler warnings.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

Agreed; that was precisely what I was trying to avoid giving away.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Melvin, welcome to Hatrack!! [Wave]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melvin13
Member # 6671

Hey thanks!

At the begining of the story it said that the story was real (I know it's not) so I didn't think there would be ghosts, are there ghosts?

Boon
unregistered

In short, yes. I'll send you an email tomorrow with my thoughts. Read on!
Bekenn
Member # 6602

The thing about Lost Boys is, it's a ghost story. Ghost stories are always more compelling when you think that maybe, just maybe, this time it's for real.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Joe and Frank were really in a bind this time. Fortunately for them, Chet's latest fad was just what the doctor ordered. He came whizzing in just in the nick of time to save the day.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
The boys were in their "spirit" form. Is that the definition of a "ghost"?
Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melvin13
Member # 6671

"In short, yes. I'll send you an email tomorrow with my thoughts. Read on! "

Thanks.

PS: why don't you have all that vb code stuff like other forums, like quotes?

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Like this?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, UBB way way predates VBulletin.

Nice Hardy Boys reference a bit farther above, if my 15-year-old memories are correct.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melvin13
Member # 6671

quote:

Ah, here's how it works.

Thx, just curious.

[ July 08, 2004, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Melvin13 ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.