FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your favorite web designs - or Men and women of good taste needed!

Author Topic: Your favorite web designs - or Men and women of good taste needed!
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm building a website with my friends. At least one of us has decent technical skills but none of us have a good sense of color or design.

So it is my job to scour the internet for inspiration. Would you mind posting links to your favorite web designs?

We know the structure we want: a three column website with a top navigation bar similar to the one on apple.com. We also know we want the look and feel of the entertainment section of an online news magazine. What we are fuzzy on are color schemes and design details.

So far, these are some of the sites I liked:
Radio Canada
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/
http://www.mercurynews.com
http://www.washingtonpost.com
http://www.csmonitor.com/arts/index.html
http://www.ljworld.com

The purpose of the site is to provide articles and reviews regarding a specific game/hobby. Our priorities are:

1. Trustworthiness
2. Expensive look
3. Fun look

So show off your good taste and post a link! It doesn't have to be a perfect site, it could just be a site with something you particularly liked.

P.S. I know this thread is perfect for some type of cannibalism dobbie, so don't even try it. [Smile]

[ July 07, 2004, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo ... I saw a web page I liked with this type of layout a few days ago when I was discussing web design with Fugu on chat. But now I can't find it.....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Do not steal the format and color schemes of more successful sites. While it's done regularly, it's also rather rude.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Thanks Tom. I'm new at this, so if what I propose breaches some type of webdesign etiquette I appreciate you for pointing that out.

We are not really stealing a format, for we've already decided on a three column, folder-style menu format.

So that leaves the color scheme. Is copying someone else's color scheme any different than driving around your neighborhood looking for ideas on what color you should repaint your house in?

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Your taste borders on boring.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
What really catches your eye on the sites you listed are the ads. They're the only things with any sort of design to them... even the papers' logos are bland. Is that the look you're going for?
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

My taste does not border on boring... it resides in Plainsville, the capital of Boring baby!

Yes, the examples I provided are a bit on the drab side. We wanted to go for the professional, trusted website look. I guess it is possible to have a site that looks trustworthy AND fun, but I'm not sure how to go about it. [Smile]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, Tom -- there are only so many possible "original" ideas and colors out there. I mean, I don't see anything wrong with them getting ideas from others' work. There is hardly a new idea under the sun any more, with millions of web pages out there.

Kind of like story-writing, there are very few ideas that haven't already been addressed in some way in some other writing.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a fan of this one. Ooh - and this page has always been one of my favorites.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

HERE is the "new look" our bank just rolled out this morning. It has the columns.

But personally, I don't like it just because it is way too busy...

FG

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
You want to be very careful about the tabbed look. Apple's style of tabs look good because apple did a very careful job of working them into the overall page, and because they're in the OS X style (which has been refined to a high degree).

You'll likely want more sedate tabs, such as http://macnn.com has.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, those 3-column news sites really sucketh!

Loved the Plains Indian art sites.

Here's a blast from the past .

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Wooo... lots of great sitse, keep them coming guys!

Annie ~ I'm usually not a huge fan of black backgrounds, but I love the black/orange contrast you used in the second website. The contrast makes the site memorable without being too distracting.

Farmgirl ~ Your webdesigner read the same design book I did: "The color blue encourages trust in your audience." I think the site looks professional and functional. My only criticism is why are there so many login links? Couldn't you just have one?

Fugu ~ Thanks for the tip regarding the tabs. I'll keep that in mind when we design the top level menu. I love that deep blue color used in that site.

Skillery ~ That is a wonderful and creative site. Unfortunately we are locked into the boring three column design because we have a tremendous amounts of information to organize and our goal is more oriented towards user-friendliness than artistic achievement. The floating menu thing looks cool, we might try that. [Smile]

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, keep in mind that three column can be done very flexibly. For instance, http://consulting.fugu13.com is a three column layout, though I don't have anything right now in the right column. But its just a table with a cell for the header, a cell for the footer, and three cells in between for the columns. I just moved the contents of one of the columns over so it doesn't look like a traditional three column layout (or more of a two column layout at present).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
You can be inspired by other sites, and sites with similar audiences/goals will tend to resemble each other (form follows function), just make sure you don't swipe anyone's code or create a site that gets submitted here.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Black background are just painful to the eye - at least for me.

I find it difficult to read, particularly large amounts of information, when I have to fight the page.

I'd recommend sticking to a white or white-ish background - certainly a light color.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Fugu ~ I love how that left column pops out of the main text. The effect is subtle visual treat.

CB ~ my friends are programmers themselves, so they are very sensitive when other people rip off their codes. We definitely won't rip off any codes, but we do need some color ideas. [Smile]

TMedina ~ how about slightly off white backgrounds? So far, my favorite color scheme is this one . The background is not quite white, but I think it is kind of fun.

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
That's fine - it doesn't fight with the color of the text.

By comparison, imagine trying to read black text on a navy blue background. Ergh.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's funny to see differences of aesthetic among different groups of people. My design class last semester was beginning flash and web design, and at our final, I think my project (forgive the ads - we had to use tripod) was the only page with any dynamic text at all. When you have a class full of graphic designers do websites, the results are usually full-page images and animations. My roommate, at the same time, was in a CS class that was doing beginning web design and their sites all had super cool programming features with all sorts of pop-down menus and such, and every once in awhile a centered graphic from a clip art page.

Your target audience is a big part of how you design. My pages are targeted to artists - they're image-intensive without too many clickable options. If you're working on something requiring organization of a lot more data, you have to do something akin to Farmgirl's bank. If you're selling something, you have to be catchy and memorable without being obnoxious. And that - my friends - is a very fine line. [Smile]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
This Website (International Voting Center) I think fits your description. It's serious, yet fun (spinning words).
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
http://2advanced.com
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azile
Member # 2312

- posted      Profile for Azile   Email Azile         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
TMedina ~ how about slightly off white backgrounds? So far, my favorite color scheme is this one . The background is not quite white, but I think it is kind of fun.
Yeah, that was my favorite one out of the group you showed too. The others I found a bit too boring and bland.
Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
www.madowl.com

I like the color scheme on mine, but I think I need to revamp the front page.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
While I can't help with actual design, I can offer a few basic rules when laying out the site:
  • Use the whole page! This is a huge pet peeve of mine, most web pages (including all of the ones linked above -except the macnn one-- included) do not use the entire space. The vast majority of websites are set to by 760 pixels wide because in the past most people had 800x600, and in fact many people still do. However, this doesn't mean you should suddenly make your webpage strictly for 1024x768. USE THE DIV ELEMENT. Make the page s-t-r-e-t-c-h to the size of the window, there are an increasing number of us with screens larger than 800x600 and we don't like the white space on the right half of our window. My head is permenantly positioned facing partly left because all my AIM windows are on my left screen, I don't need any more websites to make it worse.
  • If you decide that your page looks best in a specific width (like apple, and fugu's...which both look pretty hot) center it! CENTER IT CENTER IT CENTER IT! At least it the blank space is cut in half so we don't notice it as much. You're not dealing with a school committee that has to deliberate for days before they allow you to change a single element (like the one I've been hired to work one) so do it!
  • Three Click to Anywhere! While the three click rule has been disproven it sure is curtious to your users to make sure they can easily find what they're looking for. You don't have to strictly follow the three click rule, but...for the love of Multix, make easy to navigate.
  • Think small, there are many of us that still have dialup, we'd be glad if your page loaded in under 4,000 years.
Build the site around what it's for, you said that it's dedicated towards a specific game? Try to use game colours. Figure out what information you're displaying. Figure what you want as the main information, put that in the most apparent part of the webpage and build around it. And have fun, that's the best way to make anything look fun, actually have fun with it!
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
THIS is fun.

And I do know Noel - he might be able to provide some consultation, etc., if you are so inclined. He is a programmer and musician. And likes fun. Tell him I sent you his way -

[Smile]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, here's the other site that I manage:
kscops.org

Oh wow! I just discovered that the layout is totally screwed in Firefox -- I created it viewing in I.E. and had never used Firefox before! The links up the left hand side all cram to the bottom! <sigh> Will have to re-do.

Anyway, I set that table to be best viewed in 800x600 (as most people have) but set a different background color outside of the table to at least set it apart no matter what your resolution. I have a lot of improvement to do. I'm learning slow but surely from Fugu...

It isn't that great, but we are extremely low-budget, and I don't know all the fancy javascript and stuff. And didn't have much time.

Beren -- in answer to what you said to me in the post way up there -- yeah, our company site kind of overdoes the blue -- but that is the company color, and the company logo, etc. Overkill.
And they can't just make one log in. Because it is different depending on account, I think.

Farmgirl

fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a nice one.

www.unit9.com

exceptional class.

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Teshi ~ woo, I like that. Thanks!

kaioshin00 ~ that's not a website, it's a summer blockbuster movie!

Mack ~ Yeah, that color scheme is ok, but let's face it, the photographs are the real stars. You should give that photographer of yours a raise. [Wink]

BYU ~ thanks for the great tips. I will try to keep your neck nice and straight. I love the pictures you used for the beloit site: Fire, pollution, birth control... welcome to the real world!

Shan ~ he might not like me so much after he finds out what a pitiful score I got on his quiz. [Razz]

Farmgirl ~ sounds like the life of a webmaster ain't easy. I will join your rank soon. Eeeeek!

CT ~ Again, unfair cuteness advantage! Of course, if I could work babies into our website....

Fallow ~ that's awesome man. Definitely the most creative site I've seen all day.

[ July 08, 2004, 02:46 AM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
It's okay, Beren - I only got 8 right. [Blushing] He still talks to me.

The worst is - I don;t even know how I got the 8 right 'case there wasn't anything on there that I was really sure I knew . . . [Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
Alas, I can't take credit for the pictures, they are only example pictures given to us by the firm that the school hired (for thousands of dollars) to design the site...and they don't even provide a template for us to use...90% of that code was written by me...by hand. Can you tell I'm bitter? Because that site breaks every rule that I listed.

Oh ya, another one:
FLASH IS BAD. It's a great tool, just not for your front page.
Satyagraha

[ July 08, 2004, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Insanity Plea ]

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
beren,

thanks. friend of mine started that company.

good luck with your site.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Beren -- here's the site I was thinking about the other day

http://tedescotimes.com/

someone has taken their "family page" and made it look like a newspaper. Kind of cute.

Farmgirl

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
FLASH IS BAD
Oh Lord yes. I can't count the number of times I've just closed a site when the superfluous flash intro began. Doesn't matter if there's a "skip intro" button. I'm not going to your site so you can masturbate on my screen (there's one for the OOC people) I'm going there for some sort of information.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
naledge
Member # 392

- posted      Profile for naledge   Email naledge         Edit/Delete Post 
My company's site

-nal

We just won some awards for our new design too [Smile]

Posts: 155 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, although that was impressive design-wise, I was also sure glad that I was accessing it from my T-1 connection here at work. It took so long to load all of it's fancy stuff on this fast connection that I imagine if I had been home on my 21.5 dial-up, I'd be sitting there until 10 PM tonight.

FG

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

That site is off the cuteness charts FG. I especially like their police blotter [Smile]

Bob, I know how you feel. I especially love it when the "close this ad" button on the flash is actually a trick link that takes you to the advertiser's home page. Yeah, like I'm really going to buy stuff from a company that tricked me into clicking their ad.

naledge, congrats on the award. Your site is fantastic... can't wait for the goodie section to open up. I like the cool music, did you guys compose it? Kudos for giving people the OPTION to listen to music and not force it upon them. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.