FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I say we pillage the movie theaters (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I say we pillage the movie theaters
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
I was massively dissapointed by almost every movie-adapted-from-a-book I saw over the past, say, six months. And with the pending release of the adaptation (try utter and total literary rape) that will have Isaac Asimov spinning in his grave, I say we revolt.

We must rise up, take the movie theaters by storm, and force them to show Shrek 2, Harry Potter, and the LotR trilogy on every screen. Argh! Who's with me, ye scallywags?

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we start with the theater where I work? While we're at it, can we force them to pay their employees more money? [Big Grin]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
*gears up*
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

Hmmm . . . We'll need Johnny Depp to buckle all the swashes for us . . . Orlando Bloom to look pretty and shoot arrows . . . and Lord Voldemort to curse Chris Columbus and his ilk forever.

Let's see . . .

Usernames:
A-D, bring aforementioned celebrities
E-H, napkins, silverware, tableclothes, etc
I-L, pitchforks and torches
M-Q, dessert items, particularly brownies
R-T, pasta
U-X, grappling hooks
Y and Z, drinks. Alcoholic prefered.

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
mmm Johnny Depp...
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Voldemort
Member # 6675

- posted      Profile for Lord Voldemort           Edit/Delete Post 
Foolish muggles! What makes you think that you can make me do your bidding? But you're right, amazingly.

*Points wand at foolish muggle directors who butcher books, especially the man who made I, Robot, unless he can come up with a darn good application of the Zeroth Law* Avada Kedavra!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

*passes out bibs to absorb excessive drooling in the case of a theatrical counter-attack screening of favs*

*wonders if there will be any real butter rationings during these raids*

[ July 08, 2004, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: fallow ]

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you. I cringe every time I see the preview for I, Robot.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Aragorn!

*stamps foot*

I'm not coming without Aragorn! [Grumble]

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Amen! I mean, Jackie Chan as Passepartout? Please!

Pleeeeeeeease!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Z...Drinks! I can do that.

*steps behind the bar*

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
*Serves up rhubarb crisp*

Now, it's a bit tart. If you're not used to it, you may want to add a bit of sugar.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Pasta? I get PASTA?

Well, fine. *goes off to make pasta salad that is so good it makes grown men cry*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
What book is Shrek 2 based on?
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, all of 'em, I think.

A botched book adaptation is no match for a good screenplay, is the point.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Desserts? Good. I love baking.
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
"I, Robot" annoyance:

Oh man. I saw the worst preview in the world before PoA. The whole time I was going, "What is this crap?"

Then the movie title..."I, Robot".

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? I'd heard it was going to be bad, but for crying out loud! I didn't even recognize it! They had to tell me what it was. That's a good sign that they have royally screwed up a movie.

The stupidity of it all is this:

Who's going to care about this movie except for us geeks who've read the book? And "us geeks" are just geeky enough to care that it's totally inaccurate.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers for I, Robot

I saw the preview for "I, Robot" several times and finally decided to get Asimov taken off my very long "to-be-read" list. So I checked out I, Robot and Foundation from the libary, and burned through `em both in a day.

They were awesome (I've my library transport all the foundations from this ridiculously long and thin county I live in) but I'm trying to remember the preview, and I can't possibly imagine how it will be even remotely like the book!

Nowhere are humans murdered in the book. There is ONE *attempted* murder that is really more of a sting operation, and in fact there is one robot murdered by a human. I think the movie might be OK, but it won't bear any resemblence beyond the title to "I, Robot"

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bring my robot buddies to ransack the theater if you want... [Grumble]
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
They had to streamline the plot for the lowest common denominator among target audiences.

Which is to say, all of them.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I get Lord Voldemort? That would be fun. Though we will have to wait until he's finally officially cast...

I say we use Moldiewarts to curse theatre owners who jack up the prices on nachos (mmm... nachos...) and tickets. We can keep Chris Columbus around for a while, because who else are we going to mock mercilessly?

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
To me, I, Robot the movie looked a lot more like the plot of the Caves of Steel by Asimov than any of his short stories. Which really doesn't make it any better, since it still has next to nothing to do with the book...it just looks more like it.
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin Costner shattered my perceptions of great novels being adapted to the screen.

But Peter Jackson gives me hope.

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The whole uber-plot of the robot series is that Robots programed for peace and non-violence will always run into problems with humans not so programed.

The whole plot of the movie seems to be--Don't trust those #$@#$@#$@#$ robots.

The whole idea behind converting a book to a movie is to bring in the fans of the book, and their friends. If you destroy this movie that much, who will go see it?

Not I.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't even figure out who Will Smith is supposed to *be* whenever I see the previews. I remember Susan Calvin, and the two guys who always work together, but who is Smith supposed to be?

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

The action character, because a skinny old robo-psychologist and two bumbling scientists don't work for the movie they're making.
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
At the risk of being burned at the stake, I didn't care for 2 and 3 of the LotR series.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*gets out the torches*

[Big Grin]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
*Gathers Pasta*

Um. Is it cooked or uncooked?

If definately with you. Movies should also be cheaper. They should show more obscure movies (better but less well-known) and also they could make a killing showing old classics (which the theatres near me at least never do!)

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't blame the theater for the price of the tickets, just the price of the condiments.

edit: Ummm, what? I'm pretty sure I meant concessions. I wonder where condiments came from.

[ July 08, 2004, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Hold the phone. In honor of fairness, there have been some great movie adaptations beyond Peter Jackson's opus:

Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Cider House Rules (to be fair, I didn't read the book but enjoyed the movie and was told by others that it was a good adaptation).
Band of Brothers (granted, made for TV movie but it WAS based on a book...oh, and real life...but...it WAS a book...

Spider Man (both 1 and 2 are adaptation of comic books...and ruled.
so did X-Men 1 and 2
Pride and Prejudice (my wife's personal fave...and I love it as well)
Little Women (the 1994 version)
Importance of Being Ernest (okay, an adaptation of a play but still...)
Sense and Sensibility (Emma Thompson's script was brilliant and funny)
Bridget Jones's Diary (another wife fave)
Little Princess (by same guy who did second good book adapation on this list)

There...fairness rules.

[Big Grin]

fil

[ July 08, 2004, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: fil ]

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Yay! I get to bring brownies!!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Really? You put PoA in there? I thought it was enjoyable, but not a very accurate adaptation.

And before someone cries "They aren't supposed to be identical", I want to say that my husband read the book after seeing the movie and was amazed at the differences in the story.

fil
Member # 5079

I agree, it was different from the book but so was the gold standard, Lord of the Rings. If we want to list "most like the book" then I would have to remove half of the book-to-movie transitions up there. The Little Princess is set in NYC instead of London, like the books. If it was enjoyable, then it is a good adaptation. In Potter, the main themes were the same and the big plot points were covered, if a bit altered. But if you had to boil the book down to basics, the basics were there. And it was entertaining as all get out, which helps.

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

But everyone's using "not like the book" to condemn "I, Robot". What if it's a really good movie? Will we put it into the good adaptation list, even though the only thing they have in common is the title?
fil
Member # 5079

But PoA kept to the basic points of the book...they didn't make Lupin evil or the Dementors cute and cuddly or whatever. I, Robot clearly is changing the premise of the books...which is the ironclad Rules of Robotics. Big difference. Pointing out differences while at least keeping to the basic presmise, theme and tone of the books is what is most important in adapting a book. PoA did it. I, Robot clearly will not (unless the previews are VERY misleading).

Interesting points on 2001...though I think their important synergy just adds to the point that books and movies can share good stories.

fil

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

That's true.
Anthro
Member # 6087

See, that's the beauty of it. When we conquer them, we choose what they show.

Look, either we raid the cinemas or we sit outside singing "We Shall Overcome". Raiding you get beer.

(Pssst: anyone with a number in their sn has to also bring alcoholic beverages--mead, beer, and ale are best. Absinthe works too)

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
"Holes" and "The Green Mile" were excellent adapatations.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
nerds.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
oh, and for the record, ABOUT A BOY although the last half strayed considerably, as in total rewrite, and dynamics of certain relationships changed, was a very enjoyable book to film transfer.

and CONFESSIONS OF A DANGEROUS MIND was alot of fun, and it too took many liberties.

now, back to my original post:

nerds.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
*brings famous white lasagna*
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
The newer (1999) version of Jakob the Liar is still a really good movie, even though it varies much more from the book than the original 1975 film did (which is probably because Jurick Becker wrote the film script first and only adapted it into novel form to help get the original film made in the first place, so the book didn't differ much from his concept of the film). At any rate, I know people who thought the American remake was much better than the East German original. I know the remake had a much bigger emotional impact, although I'm not sure if that makes it better (There's something to be said of the quiet sadness left by the final shots/last page of the original film and novel.).

At any rate, I don't think it's at all bad for directors to make changes to the plot of the story they're adapting, as long as they keep the main feel/idea of the original. (And even when they completely change the point, like in The Count of Monte Cristo, you can still have a perfectly enjoyable film experience if you go into it knowing it will differ from the original.)

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey muppet, can you share your white lasange recipe?
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

. . .

We shall overcome . . .

fallow
Member # 6268

*whispers to the assembled*

wherever there's a plot-hole being paved over with CG, we'll be there.

wherever there's a..?

fil
Member # 5079

Oh, and most Sherlock Holmes adaptations are good to great. I know the TV ones are the best (Jeremy Brett, R.I.P.) but some film ones are quite good.

See? They CAN do it.

Save Our Cineplex!

[Big Grin]

fil

PS Was "Master and Commander" a good adaptation? I never read the books but heard they are great. I saw the DVD of the movie and enjoyed it for what it was (though I like the Horatio Horblower series better).

fallow
Member # 6268

wherever a much maligned starlet get's her due, we'll be there...
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*Considers changing her SN*

*Shrugs and breaks out the Kraft MAc-n-Cheese*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got my pitchfork at the ready!

I was muttering very loudly during a preveiw of I, Robot the other day (we were seeing Spiderman 2 - now that was a good film. I loved the opening credits!) about how it didn't follow Asimov's universe. I think the people behind me thought I was slightly geeky.

Mind you, given the demographic of the cinema we were at, I would have been suprised if they actually had heard of Asimov. So what do they know, huh? (Not that I'm snobby [Smile] )

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.