FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Freedom Fries and W Ketchup

Author Topic: Freedom Fries and W Ketchup
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Source: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/us_vote_food

quote:
"You don't support Democrats. Why should your ketchup?" says the W Ketchup Internet site wketchup.com, which promises a totally US-made condiment, right down to the bottle.
I'm not quite sure what to say to this-- I hope it's a joke, but the article implies otherwise. Although I like the idea of another type of ketchup (hey, capitalism [Wink] ) the reason behind it irks me.

[edit] Linky: http://wketchup.com

[edit again] So there's a link in the quote... cough.

[ July 09, 2004, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: James Tiberius Kirk ]

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. I guess it's a reaction to Theresa Kerry's Heinz catsup affiliations. Ketchup. Catsup.

I think I'll pick up a bottle of the fine Heinz tomato sugar sauce soon, in response to this story.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the Heinz corporation typically supports Republicans.

Theresa is a Heinz by marriage. After her first husband died in a plane crash, she took his apx 1 billion dollars, married her current husband and became a democrat.

Every once in a while I hear a Republican (an individual, not a party leader) call for a boycott of Heinz because of THK. But they don't support her, and she's not their fault.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
hehe.

This is like the people who wanted to boycott "French's" Mustard--which was created, manufactured, and sold in the US. French was the American's name. That didn't stop people from claiming buying French's mustard was an insult to our troops.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
No, but it is an insult to our taste buds. [Smile]

Dagonee
*The yellow v. brown mustard battle is long and bitter.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

- posted      Profile for JohnKeats           Edit/Delete Post 
I would think a totally US-made product would be more indicative of Democrats than Republicans, anyway. The production of W-Ketchup would more fittingly be outsourced to cheaper labor markets.

Or at the very least it would be handled by one of W's campaign contributors.

If you don't support American jobs, why should your condiments?

Posts: 4350 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Of course, someone might turn around and say the opposing outsourcing is preventing the creation of new and better jobs.

But that would be a messy economic debate.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack demonstrates that the mustard debate, like all debates, is more complicated than merely yellow v. brown.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

True. But sometimes you have to introduce the idea of change slowly. It's hard enough getting Gulden's accepted. Real mustard? Even harder.

Dagonee

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
W Ketchup can be made by Americans, but they work for a national chain and get 39 hours a week so the company doesn't have to pay their benefits. So then when they develop ketchup lung from all those years in the factory, not only do they not have health insurance, but make too much money for medicaid and not enough to actually pay for a doctor's visit.

Their children want to go to college, but their share in W Ketchup stock pushes them over the limit for financial aid, so since they can't actually afford anything, they go to work for the W Ketchup corporation as receptionists. They never get to leave their hometown of Ketchupton, Alabama and for fun on weekends they listen to Toby Keith and eat freedom fries and W Ketchup at the local McDonald's. They develop type 2 diabetes and since they can't actually afford to have a physician, they decide losing weight on the Atkins diet will be a good plan. As a result, they buy large amounts of mad-cow ridden beef and gallon-sized containers of W Ketchup at Sam's club.

Isn't America great?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm leaning toward that site being a hoax for two reasons:

1) on the comments page there were these:
quote:
Thanks guys, I hope this works out well. The only problem with reelecting George W is it leaves a hole open for the evil Hillary to get elected next cycle. How do you feel about that?
— W.T.

We are not aware of any condiments or other products that Hillary is associated with, but we will have our top people look into it.

quote:
To Whom it May Concern: I am a fundraising conduit between several major corporations and the GOP. One of my clients is Heinz. I recently spoke to some executives over there and they are none too happy about what you guys are doing. While they are not going to suddenly donate much of anything to the Dems, they were nevertheless peeved at your antics. Next time you do something like this, consider whether the big dogs will get upset. You've made my life more difficult. I hope you all enjoy freedom kissing each other.
— N.A.

and 2) Their phone number on the contact page has 8 digits instead of 7.

But their order page goes all the way to credit card information, and I'm not putting in a credit card number to test it.

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
RRR,
Lots of satire/parody sites(landoverbaptist.com) have their own stores, and can actually sell things.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
My question is this... has a personal grass-roots boycott ever, ever, in the history of capitalism and civilization, ever resulted an any type of success? It's a sincere question... I honestly don't know. But it seems to me that every time I hear a story of a boycott, a couple hundred people get really worked up and start foaming at the mouth and swear to drive their rivals out of business, and the rest of humanity keeps doing what they've always done, and the end result is nothing more than a few political zealots having to eat crappy ketchup for a while.
Here's one.

Some more, from the leftish side of things.

Dagonee

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
And shouldn't it be W Catch-up? Cuz he's got a lotta catchin' up to do!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, what is wrong with Toby Keith?

French's doesn't just make yellow.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WantHimNot2Write
Member # 6509

- posted      Profile for WantHimNot2Write           Edit/Delete Post 
bump
Posts: 33 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.