FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Reading in the United States: Endangered

Author Topic: Reading in the United States: Endangered
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read this on /., and felt it worthy of Hatrack.

quote:

So steep is the decline nationally that the report warns of "an imminent cultural crisis" and offers this startling prediction: "At the current rate of loss, literary reading as a leisure activity will virtually disappear in half a century."

Here (Seattle Post-Intellegencer) is the artcle on how reading in America has stopped. And of course, for those that really want to read it, here (nea.gov) is the actual .pdf publication.

Satyagraha

[ July 09, 2004, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: Insanity Plea ]

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
This is why I love the Harry Potter books, even though I didn't love them right away. I always thought they were good, but I was working at B&N when they came out. What a sight, seeing all those kids looking forward to the next book. And the number of kids who showed up at midnight for the release parties!

Anything that can get kids that jazzed about reading is OK with me!

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Given the constant technological innovations in entertainment, most recently in our generation with MTV, I'm not surprised.

Although I think they may be a tad optimistic in the predicted decline of "leisure" reading.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I read about this. Scares me silly.

I'm considering making up signs that say "Read a Book" and posting them all over town. My mom think's it's silly. But it couldn't hurt. People are being bombarded with all sorts of other messages all the time. "Work out". "Lose weight". "Buy this". "Vote for that candidate". My take is that if it gets even one person (one easily led person? [Big Grin] ) who wouldn't other wise do so to read a book, it can be counted as a success.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
I suddenly see it vitally important that I own a used bookstore.

Also, that's why I love BookCrossing (bookcrossing.com), take a used book and leave it on a park bench for someone else to hopefully pick up and read. Such a simple idea, and yet ingenius. Make the world literate again...one book at a time.
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a link to a streaming audio of the text?
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

I'm ashamed of you but...yes i do(npr.org)
Satyagraha

A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read the article yet, but any statistic discussing human behavior which begins "if current trends continue" or "at the current rate of loss" is suspect for me [Smile] The fact that you can draw a line on a graph to describe a trend among humans does not mean that you can continue to draw that same line, with the same slope, into the future and call it a prediction. We're more complicated than that.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the link between museum visits and volunteer service and reading was interesting. Makes perfect sense to me. In my own experience, I've found people who read to be much more open to new ideas and just more fun in general. I read a ton, and thankfully both of my kids love to read as well.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the fact that you have it on audio... [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Forgot to add - Louisville is putting in a Half-Price Books! I'm so stupidly excited. I had really missed that store since we moved from Indiana.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

Half-Price Books is awesome! :: bought a copy of the H2G2 radio scripts and a like new leatherbound copy of the completely h2g2 for $10 ::
I love used bookstores! The one bookstore I miss the most is Powell's in Oregon...world's largest physical bookstore, four stories tall and a full city block...mmmmmmm.

Geoff: I agree, and three points of data isn't enough to be accurate. However, I do find that there may just be a trend in the lack of reading, especially when in today's generations those that do read are looked down upon as "weird" and "bookworms," it does show some societal trend against reading.
Satyagraha

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a new trend, Bernard. Eighty years ago, people who read a lot were ALSO considered "weird" "bookworms." Seriously.

"Get your nose out of that book" is not a NEW phrase.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

I got called a bookworm for the first time back in 1980 as a fourth-grader. I remember being pleased by the comment. Maybe I've just always been weird. [Dont Know]

space opera

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
As Tom pointed out, reading intensely as always had certain connotations with it - perhaps moreso in America which was built on blue collar foundations, although I can't speculate as to the validity of this idea or attitudes in other countries.

We tend as a nation not to take schooling seriously whereas Taiwan, by example, takes it nearly religiously. As does Japan.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

Hmm...in that case, it makes me wonder what this glorious literacy rate does if people don't actually apreciate it...
Satyagraha

Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Danzig, I just wanted to say that your streaming audio comment was an instant classic. [Big Grin]

Thank You.

[ July 10, 2004, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: Alucard... ]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.