FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Narnia Casting -- Updated 11/8/2004

Author Topic: Narnia Casting -- Updated 11/8/2004
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Several roles have been cast for "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe".

Tilda Swinton - The White Witch
Dawn French - Mrs. Beaver
James McAvoy - Mr. Tumnus
James Cosmo - Father Christmas
Rupert Everett - The Fox (voice)

Also, a pack of 10 north-american wolves have been cast as the witch's minions, a lion has been cast as Aslan, and a white horse named George has been cast as a unicorn. The cast of reindeers, however, were not allowed into New Zealand.

[ August 11, 2004, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: digging_holes ]

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
:: giddy with fanboy pleasure ::
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I anticipated the Star Wars prequels with rabit fan-boy anticipation. They were lame.

So I decided to not anticipate the LotR movies, but I'd go see them sometime. They rocked.

Therefore, I jump to the conclusion that it's my fault. I refuse to anticipate this movie. It will probably butcher everything good about the story.

There. Now it has a chance of being good.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Christ
Member # 5714

- posted      Profile for Anti-Christ           Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit fanboy? What, you mean BEHIND the bunny?
Posts: 125 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do they always pick the ugliest most roman nosed nags around to be "beautiful" horses? The horse that played shadowfax wasn't particularly pretty, and neither is this guy. Don't they have HORSE people pick horses for movies?

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that every role in this movie was going to be played by Elijah Wood.

That still seems totally possible, so I'm reluctant to believe any of this.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
horse people would make it too hard on director's, they would expect such weird things, like fresians and andalusians.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*is excited!!!*

Thanks for the update David!

(and thanks for starting a topic on which I can post easily and painlessly without a really long and eventually deleted reply. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] )

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was going to be about Cecily's fly-fishing weekend.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Cecily: [Wink]

Katharina: [ROFL]

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rupert Everett - The Fox (voice)
*applauds vigorously* This is PERFECT. [Big Grin]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

THE KIDS AND PROFESSOR KIRKE HAVE BEEN CAST!!!!

Peter -- William Moseley, 17

Susan -- Anna Popplewell, 15

Edmund -- Skandar Keynes, 12

Lucy -- Georgie Henley, 9

Professor Kirke -- Jim Broadbent

(link)

(better link)
[The Wave]

[ July 12, 2004, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: digging_holes ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
They seem a little old... don't they to anyone else? I always imagined them all a bit closer together and Lucy about seven?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

Well, what usually happens is that child actors are a few years older than they look. The actor's ages will not necessarily be the implied ages of the characters. But they're alot closer to how I pictured them than the actors in the BBC version, so their age is not really going to bother me.

Arrgh! Why can't they FINISH it already! I wanna see it NOW! [Big Grin]

Teshi
Member # 5024

Ah. I actually noticed the links this time. They do look a lot younger than they say they are. They all like kind of the ages I imagined them at...

...nevermind...

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

More Casting Announcements:

quote:
Elizabeth Hawthorne: Mrs. Macready
Patrick Kake: Oreius, Aslan’s head Centaur
Kiran Shah: Ginarrbrik, the dwarfish sleigh driver
Shane Rangi: Gen. Otman, Minotaur leader of the White Witch's forces
Judy McIntosh: Pevensie Mother

(Sorry, I looked and looked but couldn't find any photos for most of these actors, except for the ones on the casting page at Narniaweb.com)

[ July 15, 2004, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: digging_holes ]

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
I can't wait!

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm...I think that digging_holes must be British. The British write dates like dd/mm/yyyy, Americans write it like mm/dd/yyyy.

Just a thought. [Smile]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

No. I'm Canadian.

But it's because I'm a Quebecer, really. We write it that way in french too. Actually, only Americans write it backwards. [Taunt]

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Well, I was close.
Oh, and the British drive on the wrong side of the road, too. [Roll Eyes]

Teshi
Member # 5024

It's so they can fight people with their swords.

And doesn't it make sense to write the date littler/bigger/biggest? I always thought so.

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
It makes more sense for filing to write dates with the year first.

etc....

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought this was going to be about Cecily's fly-fishing weekend.

That what got my attention.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
The white witch rides a unicorn?

WHAT?

When did that happen in the book?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
In Russia they do the date that way as well.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
ditto with Scott R...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted a link to this over on the side... there's a new fantasy anthology edited by Al Sarrantonio called Flights that just came out; besides having a new OSC story in it [Smile] it also has a fun story by Neil Gaiman called "The Problem of Susan" that's about Susan and the Narnia books... very interesting, Gaiman-esque weirdness that I liked muchly...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0451459776/qid=1091136096/sr=ka-1/ref=pd_ka_1/103-8209359-0076667

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Gaiman weirdness, but I found that story to be disgusting **SPOILER** Aslan and the Witch eat the children then do the nasty**END SPOILER** and I regret reading it.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
James McAvoy was so awesome as Leto II in the "Children of Dune" miniseries. He was brilliant, gorgeous, enchanting, mysterious, charming, perfect. I was so psyched to see him on the cast for the Narnia film!

-----as Mr. Tumnus? That seems... awkward... to me.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Yozhik, I regret even reading that spoiler!

ugh [Angst]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, Gaiman's story definitely isn't for kids (and not for some adults too)... but I do like it as a commentary on kids' books... I don't want to say more without spoiling Gaiman's story, but I liked it as a comment on/explanation of some of the annoying and sanctimonious aspects of the Narnia books

(I read the Narnia books as a kid and I loved them, though a few aspects left me unsettled -- mostly the theology of the last book. Looking at them as an adult, I can still appreciate the imagination, and a lot of the moral lessons... but there's too much, what, theological smugness? that leaves a bad taste for me.)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

Just updating to let you know that Ray Winstone has been cast as the voice of Mr. Beaver. [Smile]

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention that filming is now underway!
[The Wave]

[ August 11, 2004, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: digging_holes ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.