FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dog meat.

Author Topic: Dog meat.
michaele8
Member # 6608

- posted      Profile for michaele8   Email michaele8         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering where western ideas on food come from? I mean, when I was in China you could order dog on the menu at nice eating establishments. I wasn't terribly fond of it (kinda tastes like putting roast beef and ham on the same fork) but several people I was with thought it was great and ordered it the next night as well. Found this site talking about this sort of thing:

http://marmot.blog-city.com/read/129237.htm

I know that Lewis and Clark thought salmon was disgusting while they were in the Pacific Northwest so they bartered with Indians for meat -- and dogs were, I believe, the main meat source.

Now my question is, where did the societal idea about what foods to eat are acceptable in the west come about? Can't all be Biblical (Old Testament) since John the Baptist ate locusts and they are listed as a "clean" food -- I tried one in a Chinese food exhibition and while it's an excellent source of protien I found it less than desirable.

It can't all be due to the pet thing because I know people who own miniture pigs but they eat pork chops, people with birds who eat chicken, etc.. Any ideas?

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny you posted this - I was just talking about dog meat with my kids the other day. Does anyone anywhere eat cats? *pets her doggie protectively*

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michaele8
Member # 6608

In China they do. A couple of my friends were at a local animal market (no, not for pets) but I didn't get a chance to visit while in this rural Chinese community. They said that they saw people go to the market with empty cages and then put a couple of cats in them along with vegetables, etc. in a shopping bag.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
So do people in countries that eat dogs/cats keep them as pets? This was a question of my son's the other night.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michaele8
Member # 6608

Yes, at least from what I saw in China.
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I eat ******** every chance I get.

Ok, you walked into that one.

Seriously - I don't think so. At least none that I'm aware of. Cats tend not to have a lot of meat, so it's a fairly pragmatic reason - that and they catch rats which is another pragmatic reason.

Killing cats during the Bubonic Plague was...well..not a good idea.

As to where society developed it's tastes - I think it's more of a cultural mess of what is and isn't acceptable.

The idea of pets tends only to be true in stable, economically prosperous areas where the extra resources can be committed to luxury items. That being the case, once a cultural theme or stable moray has been established, outsiders tend to learn to conform to the group dynamic or be rejected.

Certain parts of the Philipines also eat dogs, as do areas of Viet Nam. After a certain point, food choices become a matter of culture as well as necessity - Japanese and whales, for example.

-Trevor

Edit: I stand corrected about the cat thing. As to the other, its not unheard of to have pet cows, pigs and chickens. It's never stopped me from enjoying a good steak, slice of bacon or chicken fingers.

[ July 10, 2004, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife had pet rabbits that were kept in a rabbit pen outside.

One day then went outside and couldn't find ant rabbits.

The Vietnamese people down the street had stolen them and ate them, not realizing they were pets.

Kwea

[ July 10, 2004, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
In Equador people raise guinea pigs (usually in pens in or near the kitchen). It is considered a treat to eat them deep fried, and the most tender part, which is considered a delicacy, is the brain! (I even asked a Spanish professor once... he was raised in Equador....and he said yes it was one of the best things to have at a family gathering and it was something he missed since he moved back to the States)
Other cultures eat things that we consider strange or gross, but when it comes down to it, you have to eat to live, and whatever u can get to eat is what u can get, sometimes you just can't be picky. (trying not to lose lunch thinking about this thread)

Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michaele8
Member # 6608

Actually, rabbit meat is really good, but people should not steal people's pets.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...interesting questions!

I suspect that much of it's just what people are used to eating. Many foods are an acquired taste, so if you don't grow up eating them all the time, you might find them distasteful later on. Also, I think that in developed countries, most people don't see the animals they eat on a daily basis, which is why they prefer unrecognizeable cuts of meat. I don't mind eating pork, but I was a little disgusted by the idea of eating pieces from a pig's head.

Also, some aversions might be to food that's dangerous. For example, I expect that if BSE becomes common, more people will find brains disgusting. Disgust can be a survival trait because it keeps us away from things that make us sick.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that stealing food is as bad as stealing a pet.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I've eaten horse.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Bread anything and deep fry it, and I will eat it.

There used to be these Mexican Hookers (and I capitalize that title, because that was their title) who rode around in this suped-up Chevy Nova, and ate other peoples' dogs. They also ate their own dogs.

The closest I have come to strange meats are beefalo burgers, though.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
The weirdest thing I've had is caribou jerkey, probably. It was good. Mine was a bit oversalted, but that was my uncle's fault - not the meat's.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I am sorry, but any culture that eats dogs as a matter of course is barbaric and should be nuked. [Mad]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
But if ya kill it, ya gotta eat it. And you end up having to eat all the dogs that got collateral-damaged.

[ July 10, 2004, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
We Southerners eat a variety of odd things--I have had possum, raccoon, and snapping turtle, for instance. All were quite tasty, though possum is rather greasy.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

This is assuming there would be anything left of the dogs by the time salvage teams could be dispatched to the area.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I'm rather fond of ostrich. Has anyone else tried it? They've billed it as "the other red meat."

And as a sidenote, when you see the state of the dogs who live in the streets in China and the Phillipines, you come to realize that killing them for food is pretty merciful. The poor things are not happy animals.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I've eaten elk, buffalo and - about a week ago - alligator. One vendor at the "Taste of Chicago" had "alligator on a stick."

That's exotic in Chicago. I know it's no big deal in Florida. When folks in Florida have an attack of alligator munchies, they just go out in the back yard and shoot one. [Wink] [Big Grin]

Edit to add: I've been known to accept offers of venison on occasion too. One of those steaks could have come from Bambi. [Razz]

[ July 10, 2004, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rubble
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for rubble           Edit/Delete Post 
I think ostrich is quite tasty. I've had emu at the same restaurant that served ostrich. I found them similar.

For me, similar to Alucard but phrased slightly differently: Anything prepared with the right sauce...

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Ostrich is EXCELLENT.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

They sell ostrich steaks and ground meat at my little grocery store in Bozeman, and it's usually cheaper than beef. I'm a financial ostrich eater, now, kinda like I was a financial vegetarian for awhile.
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a store here that sells ostrich meat - it's the same place I got buffalo steaks one year. Thing is, they're expensive and I'm worried I'll ruin them since I don't know what I'm doing. Don't mind the splurge if I had a clue how to cook it up right.
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
Americans don't like the idea of eating pets. I have known people from other countries that don't make the same distinction. Perhaps it is because the USA is a wealthy country so we can pick and choose what we eat. This allowed us to separate some animals and think of them as companions rather than food. Once you think of something as a companion, it is rather creepy to eat it.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Most people I know don't eat veal, let alone cat, horse, dog, alligator (I'd like to try alligator) and venison (which I'd also like to try). I'll steer clear of cats and dogs- I don't know, they're just so fluffy.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fishtail
Member # 3900

- posted      Profile for Fishtail   Email Fishtail         Edit/Delete Post 
I found it difficult to distinguish an ostrich burger from a regular hamburger, and I thought alligator really *did* taste like chicken (just chewier). The best not-beef meat I've eaten was moose. I had moose jerky that was absolutely fantastic.

I used to make chili with a combination of ground beef and ground caribou sausage, but since my friends moved from Alaska, I haven't been able to get any.

At a high-end restaurant in Colorado, I had a multi-course meal with pheasant, duck and quail, and only really liked the quail, though there wasn't much of it. Since I've been in Iceland I've tried puffin and dolphin, and didn't like the latter at all. bleah.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

I think the financial reasons that some people mentioned make sense. I mean, it takes food out of people's mouths to feed pets, right? I suppose if you're going to feed an animal it makes sense to eat it later if you're in a poor country.

We have a buffalo ranch quite close to us that serves buffalo burgers. I've never tried them, since I'm a vegetarian, but it appears from this thread that if something has meat on it, somewhere people eat it.

space opera

Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had buffalo (B+), escargot (D), aligator (c), goat (C+), venison (B+), squirrel(D for meat, B for gravy), dove (C), octopus (B in small amounts, C- when ya hit that too much level), eel (C- smoked), sea urchin (B-), rabbit (B), duck (A) and ostrich (B- jerky).

Of course, I've eaten hotdogs, too, so that could encompass who knows what. Also, I've had to eat my share of crow (F-).

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Ya know, I rank dolphins just below dogs and cats as things I'd never voluntarily eat.

Otherwise yes - the less resources you have, the fewer luxury items you tend to have. And pets are an expensive luxury.

-Trevor

Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am sorry, but any culture that eats dogs as a matter of course is barbaric and should be nuked.
IMHO this depends on what breed is eaten. Shih tzus, toy poodles, and cocker spaniels are fair game.

Labrador retrievers, on the other hand, count as people, rather than dogs, and should be treated accordingly.

[Razz]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
How about chihuahuas? They were originally bred as meat animals.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

You're kidding?

It would take four of them to make a decent kebab.

-Trevor

dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not made totally clear in the blog (someone mentions it in a comment), but one of the main concerns with Koreans eating dog meat is the method used to kill the dog. I've read that many people believe that the best dog meat comes from having the dog experience a great deal of pain before death. Think flame torches.

That's my biggest concern. I'm not so happy with deliberate pain with any living thing so that I can eat it. I agree that the line between edible and inedible is somewhat arbitrary.

Oh and at least in Korea, it's a specific breed of dog that's used for eating, not just any old dog.

[ July 11, 2004, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: dabbler ]

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michaele8
Member # 6608

Anyone here ever try scorpion? It tastes like potato chips.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.