FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Farscape miniseries

Author Topic: Farscape miniseries
Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

- posted      Profile for Wonko The Sane   Email Wonko The Sane         Edit/Delete Post 
read here
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd heard they were bring back Farscape in a mini-series format.

A shame I don't get the sci-fi channel, but still it's good to know.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Ohmigod I need to find someone to tape it for me... Either that or get cable for a month. That seems a little silly.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Or what until they sell the miniseries on tape/dvd. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Yeah, well. That's a long time. And it's already been a long time since the last episode, and I want to know what happens.

No, um, I don't have a problem with patience, why do you ask?

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I'm just supposed to forgive and forget, eh nasty Sci-Fi channel??? Ha! I can outlast you. I can wait.

Ugh...I can't wait! When is this going to air? I no longer get Sci-Fi channel either. I'm going to have to tape it somewhere. Must.get.friends...

[Big Grin]

[Party]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
Should be October some time; I thought folks here knew about it already. This one's directed by Brian Henson himself (though I suppose I should note that he only directed one ep of the series, and it wasn't all that great -- I blame the fact that it was the third ep and leave it at that). They also reportedly ran Australia out of explosives during the filming, so it should have lots of that patented Farscape action.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Edit: Spoilery goodness!
John and Aeryn pointing guns at people
John being threatened again.
John pointing guns at people
John, Aeryn and stark, cornered as usual.
Is that who I think it is at John's back?

All in all, Looks good. [Big Grin]

Ni!

[ July 11, 2004, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: kwsni ]

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
mmm-MMM!

What is it about Ben Browder that makes him look so good while being threatened/tortured? Or maybe that's just me getting my kink on. [Evil]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. At the Convention I always go to, they were everywhere. (Farscape fans, that is) While I was badging, one came up to me and gave me a li'l Farscape keychain of a bug-lookin' thing.

I gave it to my mom.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Hot dog!
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I am only about 3/4 of the way through Season Two. Is there anything in those pics that would spoil me for the later seasons? Don't want to click if there is.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

I doubt it, X, unless you don't want to see Scarrans.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I’ve never seen Farscape, but I do get the SciFi channel.

Seems a waste.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

You really should give Farscape a go. I think Netflix has the dvds. We burned through the entire show in one summer. It had a few not-so-great eps, but was generally a lot of fun and very well thought of. Won scifi awards and stuff. But scifi cancelled it. Because network execs are idiots. *grumbles*
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Netflix does indeed have the DVDs, as that was the reason I joined Netflix. [Big Grin] Alas, i had to let my subscription lapse due to finances. [Frown]

And I've already seen the Scarrans, so I will happily click on the links to drool along with everyone else.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I voted Farscape, in my mind, as the worst ending to a series EVER -- and that includes a lot of losers I have had the opportunity to watch.

Now, lets hope that this mini-series remedies the situation. The show was/is too good to let flop.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

Farscape is probably the best recent (post-B5) sci-fi show. It's about a present-day astronaut who gets sucked through a wormhole to destinations unknown, and falls in with a group of escaped prisoners just trying to stay alive in a very hostile universe. Lots of opportunities for action and drama, as well as the best comedy I've ever seen in a sci-fi show that wasn't named Red Dwarf.

Also, it has muppets.

Go watch.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

dkw, you are a meanspirited tease.

Luckily you also owe me.

If you tape the coming Farscape miniseries for me and get each tape to me posthaste, I will forgive you the day of planting you promised me for my last birthday and never paid up on.

You still owe for the pre-midwest-gathering cleaning, and you and BpW both seem to have left MN last time without paying for your share of Daddy's birthday present.

Do we have a deal?

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I planted three peppers! And a butterfly bush!

When is this miniseries airing, anyway?

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Ya know, Claudia Black does it for me - hands down.

-Trevor

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Give Farscape a break. Yes, the ending was terrible, but that wasn't their fault. It's because there was no finale -- that was just supposed to be a season finale, with us finding out what happened in a few months. Instead, the season just.

ended.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

Actually, It was supposed to be one of thier cliff hangers WITHIN a season, and Scfi just wouldn't let them film next few episodes.

Ni!

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Dude -- that's even worse!
kwsni
Member # 1831

Dude, Claudia black does it for ME. But I'm more of a Ben Browder girl.

Ni!

Olivetta
Member # 6456

What she said. 0_0
Bekenn
Member # 6602

Erm, kwsni... incorrect. It was indeed to be the fourth season finale, which it was. It wasn't supposed to be the series finale, though I actually think it works well as such if you cut out the last minute or so. Thankfully, with this miniseries, we don't have to cut out the last minute.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
ElJay...I hate to get in the middle of your petty family dispute here, but Dana claims to love me. It seems that proof of love might include prompt delivery of FARSCAPE miniseries tapes, regardless of whether some sibling or other wants them too.

Let's not get into a big thing over this. You lose. 'kay?

[Razz]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

The Farscape 'seasons' were very confusing. They had a 'mid-season' cliffhanger and an 'end-of-season' cliffhanger. I think it had something to do with how the US tv season runs and how the Aussie tv season runs, but I could be wrong. [Smile]
ElJay
Member # 6358

Bob, you've got to understand, she loves you, but she owes me. I mean, it's almost my birthday again, and she's completely reniged on last year's gift. So I rank. But if she tapes them and gives them to me, and do I need to add that I'm much, much, closer than you, I will happily put them on DVD and share, and then everybody's happy. Besides, if you don't fight this one, things will go so much better for you in blending in to the family, if you know what I mean. [Smile]
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

My God you people don't fight fair at all!!!

[Razz]

Okay, as I understand it...

1) Dana loves me.
2) You get the videos first
3) You convert them to DVD
4) I get them
5) And I get Williams family brownie points

Hmmmm.....

Sheesh...I'm such a pushover.

By the way, the position of favorite sister-in-law is going to be up for grabs beginning next April. You might want to start planning now...

[Big Grin]

ElJay
Member # 6358

Wise choice, Bob. You're already my favorite brother-in-law-to-be. *nodnod*

Last I checked, however, I'm gonna be your only sister-in-law, on this side of the family at least. So I think I automatically get least favorite, as well as most favorite, status. I plan on deserving both of them. [Big Grin]

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Bob, I think they have you trapped.

I do see one way out though..

You could offer to buy dkw the DVD's of the series, and promise to watch them with her, if she gives you the tape first.... [Taunt]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

There's what, 4 seasons, at 100 bucks a pop. Go ahead and do that, Bob. By the time you two are done watching all four seasons, I'm sure I'll be through with the miniseries.
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
rawr! Thanks for the pictures Ni!

Anyways, I'm sure we could uhm... get a copy,.... and bit torrent it.... :-D

I'll be on the look out for such things, if I don't record it myself.

So keep in touch with me, I'll probably setup my own tracker and such for BT.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

$100 a season???!!! Sheesh, suddenly I'm glad the cancelled the damn thing.

[Razz]

j/k

Anyway, I think I've got favorite bother-in-law all sewn up.

[Big Grin]

ElJay
Member # 6358

A season is, like, 5 or 6 DVDs, each with 3 hour-long episodes. So that's not as ridiculous as it sounds.

I still haven't bought 'em, though.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Yeah, not so bad. But it's such an indulgence to purchase something like that for oneself, no? Better to count on them as, say, birthday or Christmas presents...

Or bribes...

Bekenn
Member # 6602

Well, keep in mind this is Farscape we're talking about here. More to the point, it's ADV Films, at least in the US. ADV primarily deals in anime, where people are evidently a bit more willing to get screwed over financially. The result is that ADV releases Farscape in two ways:

1) Piecemeal, single-disc (or double-disc) releases, usually about $20 for each disc.
2) In a box, which consists of all the piecemeal releases for a given season packaged together.

Moreover, each disc has only two (or in rare cases three) eps on it.

Now, the quality of the discs isn't bad; it's the quantity (and price) that I find reason to complain about here. Season 1 was released entirely in the two-disc-per-ep format, with the box set coming out maybe a year after the season had already been released in full piecemeal. The box set was substantially cheaper than getting them piecemeal, even though it contained all of the same packaging as the piecemeal releases, plus a larger cardboard box to hold it all together.

That's 11 discs for a single 22-episode season; Amazon's price for season 1 in a box is $130, while piecemeal it comes out to $222... before tax. Those who bought the piecemeal releases were understandably pissed when the box came out, because even though the box is so overpriced, they paid so much more.

ADV did the same thing with their season 2 release, only this time it totalled ten discs because two of those discs had three episodes on them (without any decrease in quality, by the way; they could easily fit four high-quality eps on each disc if they really wanted to). This time, though, the piecemeal releases contained two discs instead of just one -- but carried twice the price of a season 1 piecemeal disc, so it ended up costing about the same amount to get it piecemeal. The box set cost the same as for season 1.

At this time, season 3 has been completely released in the piecemeal fashion, this time offered in both one- and two-disc variants. The box set is due to come out toward the end of August.

Season 4 is also available piecemeal in its entirety; no box set has yet been announced, but I figure it'll be about a year.

Now... you can find the box sets available for much more reasonable prices (say, around $100 per season) elsewhere, but it takes some hunting. I currently have both season 1 and season 2, and I absolutely refuse to purchase the piecemeal collections; I recommend you do the same.

Edit: Amazon also has a listing for Peacekeeper Wars, which looks like their standard "put your e-mail address here to vote for this product and we'll harass the publisher into releasing it" thing.

[ July 13, 2004, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Bekenn ]

Olivetta
Member # 6456

I may know someone who knows someone whose Uncle Ned had a pet gerbil from a guy who said his best friend's parakeet kept saying "Farscape Mpeg CDR" over and over again.

But I could be wrong.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Did it say it in a pirate voice and go "arrrrr" after each repetition?

If so, then believe.

[Razz]

ElJay
Member # 6358

Dunno where you are, Bekenn, but Best Buy has the box sets for $95 here, and they have season 3 already, did a couple months ago, actually. Although the price is different in different stores... ranges from $95 to $115 in different branches, which I thought was weird.

And Bob, I had been kinda planning on pointing the season 1 set out to my siblings as a lovely joint birthday present idea this year, but at $95 plus tax it's still kinda pricey. So I probably won't.

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it bad form to buy someone used DVD's as a gift.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

zgator: Nah, so long as they're in good condition.

ElJay: Thanks for the info! Season 3's already available in box form? 'Scuse me while I head on out to my local Best Buy....

Best Buy has I think been the best place to buy Farscape (Hah! I kill me!). At least, that's where I got the other two box sets.

Edit: BestBuy.com lists it as coming out on August 24th; are you sure it's in stores?

[ July 14, 2004, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Bekenn ]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

ElJay; Yeah, that just seems like a lot of money. Especially since we all know how it ends.

Maybe it'll show up on E-bay or something...

<goes to check>

Yep, it's a lot less on E-bay. $75/season new in box; $60/season used/open box set.

[silent musing]
Of course, I'd never want that kind of thing for myself. It'd just sit on a shelf because I wouldn't have time to go through 88 episodes (or whatever it is total) of ANYTHING!!! No use even hinting that it might be a good gift to give ME! Nah...not really my cup of tea.

Ah well, maybe if ElJay collects them, the rest of us can watch them...

If only she were not so evil.

She'd probably pick a fight with everyone halfway through episode 87 and we'd all just never know...

Hmmmph.

least favorite sister-in-law indeed.

If only Ryuko's mom knew the real story...
[/silent musing]

[Monkeys]

kwsni
Member # 1831

For a while there I was watching them a season at a time, till i knew which episodes i love and which i can usually skip. Now I just get and itch for a certain episode, or something someone says triggers something in my brain, and i just go to that particular episode.

Ni!

ElJay
Member # 6358

Hmmmm. I know there were three different box sets when I went to the store, and not just Best Buy, either, I saw them at a couple of different places. But I was paying most attention to Season 1, naturally, as that is the one I would purchase first. I will check next time I'm in the area.
Bekenn
Member # 6602

You might have seen the Best of Season 1 collection, which has something like six or eight eps from Season 1.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.