FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » DVD Burner help... anyone?

Author Topic: DVD Burner help... anyone?
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Just bought a Sony Double Layer DVD+RW Drive. My question is this... where can I find software that will allow me to "back-up" my DVD movies and xbox games? I was told I need to find something that will rip the encryption codes? any ideas? and also does a burnt xbox game work on the console or do you have to modify it like the PS One? just curious. Thanks.

edit - tried to link to burner page but my URL button isn't working, sorry. Model number is DRU-700A if you're interested in seeing what exactly I got.

[ July 11, 2004, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: beatnix19 ]

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
Dvd-cloner II seems to work well.

The cool thing about dvd-cloner is that it will actually compress 7 gig dvds onto a 4.7 dvd without any data loss. You might notice a quality difference in a super-expensive entertainment system, but I can't tell a difference on my TV.

However, your dvd burner is double layer and you won't need it compressed.

Incidentally, I had a dream last night and you were in it. Well, I don't know who "you" are, but it had a blond girl named beatnix19 from hatrack in it. Strange strange. My first hatrack dream.

EDIT

The only problem with DVD cloner is every once in a while it can't read the DVD. I am not sure if it is because it can not break the code or if there is a scratch on my DVD. IE.: Last Samurai special feature disc was just fine, but the actual movie could not be read. I only had that problem with 3 other movies and most of my DVDs are scratched.

[ July 11, 2004, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Alexa ]

Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

That is really weird seeing as I'm a brown haired boy named beatnix19. [Razz]
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

A decrypter and DVD shrink did the job. Awesomeness! First attempt was a complete success! i now own two copies of Lilo and Stitch. The kids should be very happy!
Alexa
Member # 6285

not only were you a blond girl in her early 20s, you were also naked and flying back and forth between 22 houses with what looked like an invisible trump the angel Moroni might beholding.

Sometimes my dreams are really disturbed.

so, what is a a "decrypter and DVD shrink?" And where did you get them?

Also, does anyone know if/how you can back up PS2 games?

Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
so, what is a a "decrypter and DVD shrink?" And where did you get them?

Also, does anyone know if/how you can back up PS2 games?

dvd shrink
dvd decrypter

They're both programs that can be used to making copies of DVD's.

Personally, I've got DVD Shrink and Nero 6 installed, so that DVD Shrink will automatically burn the disks that I'm making copies of.

DVD Shrink is a really nice program that will (in most cases) let you keep the extra fluff on the DVD and will do a good job of compressing it. On the plus side, it's also free.

I can't remember if you can burn with DVD Decrypter, but if so, you have to launch the program seperately to burn a disk (I'm just lazy like that).

As far as the PS/2 game backups go, you have to use a modchip to be able to play backed up games (in addition to copying the games itself). I've got a Gamecube, so I haven't bothered to look too far into copying games like that.

Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
What is Nero6, and how much did it cost?

How easy was this to use?

How is the quality of the recording? I saw a movie that was ripped, and the quality was not very good, but the guy who did it said he has new software that does it better now...that movie was one of the first he ripped.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

nero site

Nero is used to burn CD's and DVD's. It works pretty well for the most part, but the downside is that you can't make an image on your hard drive and then load it to a virtual drive.

When I watch the copies of the disks that I've made, I've been unable to see the difference in quality on either my TV or computers.

Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jer1m1ah
Member # 2575

- posted      Profile for jer1m1ah   Email jer1m1ah         Edit/Delete Post 
does anyone know of a good site for dvd burning on info for mac's
Posts: 49 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want a movie DVD:

http://www.apple.com/ilife/idvd/

For a data DVD:

insert, drag files, burn.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jer1m1ah
Member # 2575

sorry i should have been more clear. i want to be able to back up my movies. but my mac won't let me download my dvd movies. i need a program for a mac that will let me do that.
Posts: 49 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jer1m1ah
Member # 2575

just hopping for a reply
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck finding Dual-Layer media. I saw a two pack somewhere for 40 bucks a couple of days ago. I just hope the supply goes up so the price goes down.

[ July 13, 2004, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: Primal Curve ]

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Jeremiah: There are three or four programs out there that do that just fine for the mac (more if you don't mind the CLI). Do a little googling.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Verbatim is the only name brand dual layer media I've found...Sony and Lacie came out with the drives but won't have dual layer media until September. ::sigh:: Making my work difficult.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

ok, I'm getting ticked off. I have burned three dvd's successfully and had four crap out on me. Any ideas why? I'm thinking it may be my memory or my burner or maybe the way I hooked everything up or just my horrible bad luck with new toys. I hooked the burner up correctly as a slave to my cd burner drive. It works so I can't imagine that is the problem. It could be that I don't have enough memory and should buy some more, but my buffer level never really got much higher than 22 percent so I'm not sure. hte burner is brand new and it's really starting to tick me off. I'm not a huge fan of waisting blank DVD's.
fugu13
Member # 2859

You having it as a slave will descrease data rate right there, ditto if you're low on memory. How much of a cache does it have?

I'd make it the master instead of the slave and increase your RAM.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
with what looked like an invisible trump
Alexa - how can it "look like" something that is invisible? [Confused] That is one WEIRD dream!

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jer1m1ah
Member # 2575

i have been searching the internet. the problem is i do not know if the stuff i am finding is good or bad software. it was mentioned that there are 3 or 4 programs out there that will back up dvd's for a mac. could you tell me what they are called so when i find them i will know. i have an e-mac with the superdrive so i already burning software. but i don't have the ability to download my movies so that they can then be burned. another qestion can this be done with one program or will i have to have sevral.
Alexa
Member # 6285

quote:
how can it "look like" something that is invisible?
It is a combination of body language and the fact that in dreams we sometimes have understanding that does not make sense once we wake up.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

If you have a DVD burner, you don't need a CD burner. Your DVD burner burns CDs as well.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

ok, I disconnected my cd burner and only have my DVD burner hooked up as the master. I'm working on getting some more memory but am broke right now so that will have to wait (currentlty have 256 of RAM and will probably add around at least 128 more). Hopefully running only the burner will help a little. I have had one successful burn so far so we'll see...

Thanks foe the advice

beatnix19
Member # 5836

just added 512MB of RAM. That should make things run a bit smoother. puts me at 768MB total.
Kwea
Member # 2199

I only have 512 total. Will that screw me up? I have a DVD+RW/CD-RW drive that came with my computer (HP 3.00E pentium4 with HT)....

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

No, you're fine. Don't sweat it.
Kwea
Member # 2199

I've never burned DVD's before because this is the first decent computer I have ever owned. I had one before that was a hand-me-down and it really sucked, so I threw it in a dumpster. That was 4 or 5 years ago.

Are the programs mentioned here decent ones for ripping DVD's or are there better ones. I would prefer free programs of course, but would be willing to pay a small amount to buy one in a store if really necessary.

What do I have to do first? Load the DVD into my hard drive, or can I rip straight from one DVD to another?

slacker
Member # 2559

Kwea, see my earlier posts about using DVDShrink and Nero to make copies of movies. If you're just looking to write data onto a DVD, you can use a multitude of programs (Nero being included).

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.