FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » From Space to Earth

Author Topic: From Space to Earth
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes, as we eye the vast reaches of outer space and search for extraterestial life within our own system and elsewhere, we tend to forget how foreign parts of our own planet are as well. Even life we've never seen before. And thus, to help us in our next step towards moving into space we have to look back home.

Satyagraha

[ July 11, 2004, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Insanity Plea ]

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
something to put young extremophiles to sleep

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=10390356

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepherdess
Member # 6115

- posted      Profile for Shepherdess   Email Shepherdess         Edit/Delete Post 
No one wants on their tombstone: 'I polluted Lake Vostok.' "
How true! One of science's biggest challenges is truly understanding something without completely destroying it in the process.

fallow,
Actually I found that abstract to be very interesting. (Yes, I am a nerd). I just have one question after reading it--Isn't the current model that the earliest forms of life were extreme thermophiles? So, then why would there be loop deletions in mesophilic proteins to allow them to become more thermotolerant? That would seem to be evolving in the wrong direction! [Confused]

Posts: 107 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

[Smile]

Excellent question. The abstract was probably written from a meso-centric viewpoint as no psycrophiles had been sequenced at that point and only a handful of extremophiles.

also, all organisms that currently exist (whose sequences are in our databases) are the product of evolution from some (unknown) ancestory. It's a bit tricky trying to figure out which way adaptations may have occurred.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet baby jesus. He typed in standard English in such a way that I didn't want to gouge my eyes out while I was reading it. Hooray!
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

*squirms in discomfiture*

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.