FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » the 4400 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: the 4400
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else watch the premiere on USA?

I have to admit, I'm intrigued.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
whahuh?

I don't even know what you're talking about.

Then again, I don't watch TV shows...

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I watched it....

it seemed rather predictable, but darn it if I didn't get somewhat attached to a couple of the characters. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Told you.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed it for the most part but am taking a wait and see approach to its long term potential.
Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds weird, but might be a good kind of weird....

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Could you tell what this show is [Smile] ?
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed it.

Anna...what?

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought you were talking about a TV show. What is it if it's not the case ?
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think it would premier until next week. Are they going to repeat it since its on a cable channel?

For those that have asked, its supposed to be a mini-series. Don't think it will actually become a series. Its about 4400 people who go missing (alien abductions I assume, although how they got lost might be part of the mystery) who all of a sudden return. Everyone wants to know where they have been and what happened to them, and most likely they don't even know themselves. The kicker is that they are all the same age they were when they went missing. It doesn't matter if they were 2 or 82, or if it was in 1930 or 2004.

[ July 12, 2004, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Occasional ]

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I avoided it because of its premise.

I mean, what if I turn on this show about all these missing people who have mysteriously returned and I recognize one of them as me. That would be just too freaky for my orderly mind, so to be safe, I'm avoiding it.

That and its playing when I am trying to put my son to sleep.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan,

I saw it. One of them was you. Now I don't know what to think. [Wink]

Diane and I watched it. We found we really had to put our critical thinking on hold to enjoy it - beyond the traditional "willing suspension of disbelief."

They had them for 6 weeks and didn't find any evidence of telepathy, precog, or telekinesis in all that time??? Heck, we could tell from the video tape of the little girl that she was definitely weirder now than when she left.

I couldn't help getting bugged by the lack of attention to the fact that smoking was widespread in the population in the 1940s, 50s, and 1960s. And right up through the mid-sixties you could smoke almost anywhere. I'd have expected a cluster of chain-smoking folks from those eras being kept in an environmentally-sealed area - or complaing loudly because they couldn't smoke.

But we're hooked. We'll keep watching.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have cable. But this:
quote:
That and its playing when I am trying to put my son to sleep.
just made me do this [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
It just showed over here in two parts. Tony and I watched, and really enjoyed... except the ending.

Does anyone know if there are more episodes planned? If not, way too much was left hanging.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh great, sndrake, ya spoiled the surprise plot point:
they were all chain smokers who answered small "quit smoking" ads found in the back of magazines.

[ October 22, 2004, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you remember the black ex-army guy tring to smoke in the restaurant?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently the new season begins Sunday. Luckily it's being advertised in a lot of places, or I might have missed it. I was gonna ask Dave (Taalcon), since he's the TV guru, but in case anyone else follows this stuff -- are any other off-season shows starting up again? I can't even remember what all of them were. Rescue Me is definitely one I'm looking forward to. The Days was cool enough -- liked the people in it. And definitely BSG and Monk if they're off-season.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
The Dead Zone should be restarting too. I saw a commercial last week for it.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Monk still has new episodes on now I think, it's in the middle of a season. I didn't even know Dead Zone was still on. I liked the first season but the plot started really goin out there after awhile.

I will definetely watch the 4400 though.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
4400 was pretty good last year. I'm interested to see where they take it.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
The Dead Zone starts June 12th.

Monk starts July 8th.

Rescue Me starts June 21st.

Stargate SG-1 starts July 15th.

Stargate Atlantis starts July 15th.

(I don't think The Days is on anymore.)

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Kayla rocks, as usual.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt that I'd watch it if I had cable because those noisy ads really got on my nerves.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone watch Season 2 premiere?

***SPOILERS***

Lily is dead?! She was my favorite! Her grown up daughter is weird and I don't trust her. I think she knows more than she's telling. I'm not buying that innocent act.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I wonder if she'll be back. But not for awhile, it sounds like she has a leading role in another series coming up.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Spoilers***

It's the Season 3 premiere Val.

I saw it. I trust Isabelle sort of, you have to remember that she was a baby just before the start of the episode. She has apparently the mind of a genius but she's just learning about everything that makes us human, like the basic difference between right and wrong.

I like the direction Sean has taken, though I worry for his safety. But I'm also worried that Tom is getting too caught up in his wife's illusion abilities.

All in all I thought it was a great season opener, and a fantastic way to hook people into a new season. I wasn't really bothered by Lily's death, but I am VERY interested to see what happens with Jordan, and what his ability is. But I am not at all surprised that the jerk that nominally took over is pulling strings behind the scenes and is planning to try and off Jordan again. There's something going on behind this whole that that has yet to be discussed. Why did the creators of the 4400 program Kyle to kill Jordan, if they wanted him to create the 4400 center AND gave him the ability to come back from the dead? Something's missing.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Valentine014:
Did anyone watch Season 2 premiere?

***SPOILERS***

Lily is dead?! She was my favorite! Her grown up daughter is weird and I don't trust her. I think she knows more than she's telling. I'm not buying that innocent act.

Was that actually the same actress in age makeup, or did they get someone else? I'm also bummed to see her go.

I never trusted that Matthew character. He always gave me a "bad guy" vibe. But it seemed obvious to me that he told Isabelle that she was destined to be evil (and from the way he was upset at her attempted suicide, he wants her to be evil). And I wonder whether her spilling out that white stuff in the syringe was her way of choosing to be bad, or just choosing to live.

I wondered if they were going to have Alana (I actually typed Marina first... I can't help seeing her as Marina from The L Word) use her fantasy powers again. I think Tom is going to get quite addicted, and not in any good way.

I love this show. I'm not sure how I felt about the season opener, but it is far and away my favorite. To the point where, if I had to choose between The 4400 and Lost, I'd pick The 4400. And I'm rabid about Lost.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Spoilers***

It's the Season 3 premiere Val.

I saw it. I trust Isabelle sort of, you have to remember that she was a baby just before the start of the episode. She has apparently the mind of a genius but she's just learning about everything that makes us human, like the basic difference between right and wrong.

I like the direction Sean has taken, though I worry for his safety. But I'm also worried that Tom is getting too caught up in his wife's illusion abilities.

All in all I thought it was a great season opener, and a fantastic way to hook people into a new season. I wasn't really bothered by Lily's death, but I am VERY interested to see what happens with Jordan, and what his ability is. But I am not at all surprised that the jerk that nominally took over is pulling strings behind the scenes and is planning to try and off Jordan again. There's something going on behind this whole that that has yet to be discussed. Why did the creators of the 4400 program Kyle to kill Jordan, if they wanted him to create the 4400 center AND gave him the ability to come back from the dead? Something's missing.

I think they wanted to have a martyr. Charismatic leader with the initials JC (Jordan Collier, you must have noticed that), killed by his enemies, body disappears... you know the story, right? Having Jordan show up again could...

Hmm... maybe there are different factions amongst the future folk. Maybe Jordan was supposed to be killed, his body disappear, and then reappear. Maybe that was the plan. And maybe Matthew is the serpent in the mix. He doesn't want Jordan to show up again. He certainly seemed to be playing the part of temptor with Isabelle.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

THAT is an interesting idea. I hadn't considered that the future folk would have different factions. I made the assumption that they were all of a single mind about the whole thing.

I kinda figured that Jordan was purposefully being made into a martyr, and the JC thing did pop into my mind. I'm wondering what role Matthew might have played in that, and what role he thinks Isabelle has to play. I like the fact that there are so many questions already, but it's not LOST style questioned where everything is cryptic as all hell.

Good thoughts Lisa.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I made the assumption that they were all of a single mind about the whole thing.

I always kinda thought it was more an underground thing.

Although I don't know why I thought that, having read Pastwatch.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed seasons 1 and 2, and I missed the premier, but I'll watch it when I have more time.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, Isabelle.

Anyone else wonder why she became such a wimp? She killed 3 people, ruptured a girl's spleen, destroyed a convinience store, and almost gave her father a heart attack for merely suggesting that she might be something more than human. Then this Ross fellow comes in and slaps her around, and she just takes it?

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I think she's a little off-kilter from the whole growing up in a split second thing.
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think she's a little off-kilter from the whole growing up in a split second thing.
I've had mixed impressions of the 4400. I liked a lot of what I saw last season (catching the occasional episode). The season opener this year was okay, I thought, but I absolutely hate the instant-adult thing they have going on.

Isabelle apparently became a fully grown adult in a split second. Somehow in this second she learned:
To talk, with an extensive vocabulary.
To walk.
To eat solid food.
To wipe her bottom and perform other personal hygiene activities.
To read.
To perform the other hundreds and thousands of daily activities that have to be learned, and are taken for granted. Things like opening doors, tying your shoes, operating a computer (keyboard, mouse, windows, etc), drinking water, using a knife and fork, smiling, laughing, holding things in your hands, walking on two legs, the list goes on and on and on.
What was even stranger was that she aged in a way that gave her immaculate grooming, with well styled and treated hair, make-up, and even was wearing lip-gloss.
You can say that she observed a lot of this activity as a baby, but that doesn't explain it. An activity like walking or standing takes extensive muscle memory, learned over time. Same with talking. Your brain needs to be taught to first form sounds, then chain them together to form words.

Its just too much to accept, and it kept me shaking my head.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

My guess is that she was imprinted with a personality. It might even turn out that she'll develop memories of the person her personality came from.
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see where Xavier is coming from. Yet, those thoughts never crossed my mind. I guess my imagination filled in the blanks and I thought similar to StarLisa's conjecture. Her "real" personality came out as soon as she became an adult version. After all, her toddler self was very adult perceptive.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

I guess my main thing is that they killed Lily so quickly (one episode) with no warning and in such an unglamourous way. If they had to do it because the actress was leaving the show, couldn't they have given her a little dignity?
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Just out of curiosity, who was that playing Lily? I didn't see her in the credits.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else think it was insanely stupid of the government to coerce a telepath into helping them? I mean honestly, who couldn't see that ending badly?

*Casting spoilers for later in the season*

The actor who plays Jordan Collier is on some kind of sail boat trip around the world, and thus we won't be seeing him for several more episodes.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I did not like this week's episode. They're really reaching, and I just don't think they pulled it off.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I felt differently, KQ. I wish I hadn't watched it alone. I cried during the first Alana ep last year, but this one had me inching up on the back of the couch trying to get away. It was like a nightmare. If I'd had any idea what they were going to be doing, I would have waited and watched it together with next week's, so that I could have a resolution. I was afraid to go to sleep Sunday night.
Valentine014
Member # 5981

So, would you take the shot?
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Not with 50-50 odds.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Not a chance. Especially since the 4400 abilities seem to be about 50/50 as to wether they suck or not. There's no way I'm going to risk dying so that I can be like Maia, or have deadly diseases come out of my hands.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I haven't watched the show in weeks. What's going on? Last time I watched, they broke Gallant from ER out, and Tom was still deciding whether or not to kill Isabelle.

What's going on now?

Lisa
Member # 8384

I don't know if I would. It would be extremely tempting, though.

Lyrhawn, last night was the season finale. Do you want spoilers? We should probably ask Jamie to add a spoiler warning to the name of the topic, if so.

OSTY
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for OSTY   Email OSTY         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Valentine014:
So, would you take the shot?

It would be a really tough decision, I guess it would all depend on what inside infromation I had. If I knew of the upcoming "war" I probably would take it for my own protection because with out it I would probably be dead anyway. But the 50/50 odds would probably scare me off if I did not know about the war. But how cool would it be to have a chance to be a 4400?
Posts: 224 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Lisa -

Heh, this thread is already littered with so many spoilers, it really should already have a spoiler warning in the thread title.

But yeah, go ahead and spoil away, I haven't been keeping up for the last, maybe 4 weeks or so and I probably will only catch the reruns sporadically here and there, so I don't really care about order or spoiling, I just want an update so I can watch it next season. Thanks.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, Lisa, I finally watched season 2. Don't know if you remember or not, but I was decidedly not a fan of season 1, and I only started in on the first disc of season 2 because Netflix shipped me the wrong DVD/I screwed up and somehow bumped the disc to the top of my queue (could have been either one, I think). Anyway, I was impressed by the second season; it was world better than the first, and everything that I'd originally hoped the first would be.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

So anyway, here's a brief recap of where things stand. Jordan Collier came back from the dead, but he's been wandering the Earth for millenia, and was kind of befuddled. He'd been preaching to the homeless and getting painted on walls. Alana used her power to bring him back, at which point he took the 4400 center back from Shawn, and kicked Isabelle the hell out. Yay! As creepy as Jordan has ever been, Isabelle is way creepier.

He also gets Kyle released from prison, and tells Kyle he's incredibly important, which results in Kyle running away from home to join the 4400s.

Collier (I'm just going to call him JC) stole all the promicin that Ryland had been stockpiling, and has decided to make it freely available to everyone who wants, so they can all have 4400 powers. Devon, the non-4400 who has had a thing for Jordan from the get-go, is the first guinea pig, and dies a horrible death that even Shawn can't prevent. Turns out that you have a 50-50 chance here. You get powers, or you die. JC insists on going ahead with the distribution, but says that everyone has to be apprised of the risks.

Isabelle rips Shawn's mind apart for Ryland to find out where JC has the promicin. She leads them there and puts JC into a world of pain. But it turns out that it isn't JC, but a 4400 kid named Boyd who can shapeshift. At which point the entire warehouse, fake promicin, Isabelle, Boyd, and Ryland's men, goes blooey, killing everyone. Except Isabelle, who is tres pissed.

Now even Ryland is afraid of her, so he tells Tom and Diana that Isabelle is going to the 4400 center to shake JC out of the woodwork by killing people. She goes to Maya's classroom, and is about to kill Maya, when NTAC shows up. Tom has taken his precious (and seemingly unbreakable) syringe full of white, Isabelle-killing stuff with him, because he's just totally done with her now. He tries to jab her, but she's super-Isabelle, and it doesn't work well. While she's trying to murder Tom (which takes a lot longer than it usually does, because he's a regular), her father uses his TK to pick the syringe up and shoot it into her neck, and push the plunger in.

Isabelle goes through her death agonies. Yay!

Except no. Turns out the future folk aren't as interested in killing Isabelle as they are simply in defanging her. Stupid, stupid, stupid, and I'm sure everyone will regret this eventually, but all it does is strip her of her powers. And Tom shoots her to make sure. Only in the shoulder, which, again: damn...

Diana quits or takes a leave of absence and runs away with her sort-of-fiance and Maia (who, by the way, had done this great I'm-a-teenager-almost-and-I-hate-you-and-you're-ruining-my-life thing earlier in the finale), and Diana's sister, from whom she'd sort-of-stolen said sort-of-fiance, opts to take a syringe of promicin from her neighborhood alleyway distribution center. Kyle takes one, too.

I suspect that if Isabelle gets her hands on one of those shots, her odds are going to be somewhat higher than 50-50. You heard it here first.

Last we see of Shawn and Isabelle, they're in hospital rooms, Isabelle recouperating from the shoulder wound, and Shawn... well, who knows the extent of the damage Isabelle did to him.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.