FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Never Downsize

Author Topic: Never Downsize
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Our beautiful house is sold and my bank account is greatly enriched because of it. Now I have to wait another 2 to 3 months for our new house to be built when our bank account will return to it's typical low.

We are now living in a 2 bedroom/1 bath apartment. Our kitchen is so small that we can literally not both be in it at the same time. I would rope off an area for Ryan to play in, but it would be cruel because it would be so small he couldn't even lie down. We put most of our stuff in a storage unit that is packed to the ceiling. It's amazing the way movers can stack furniture in ways you'd never think of.

In my distant past, I seem to remember living in places even smaller with roommates and not having any problems.

Downsizing sucks! [Grumble]

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister and her husband are in the process of doing this: selling their current house in the hopes of building another one -- and in the mid-term between the two, they are going to be renting a ONE bedroom apartment (they have a 3 year old son) and cram their stuff in storage.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

They're insane. We are too, but we're not that far gone.

At least I won't be mowing any yards this summer.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I've finally got room to move around here in my house. I don't know why one person should need 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms but it must be all the books, or something. Every time I've moved, I've gotten a bigger place. Except for the time I moved from a spacious 2 bedroom apartment with large closets to a cramped 3 bedroom house with tiny closets. Then I never did find a place to put most of my stuff. It sucked.

But this is the last time I'm moving ever. I'm staying here from now on. So I guess I'll have to keep building new bookshelves or something, as the existing ones fill up. Or worse yet, get rid of some books. But that hurts just to think about. [Smile]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
When I moved to Maui, I sold, gave away or threw away nearly everything I owned. I moved from a 6 bedroom, 2800+ sqft house to my current 2 bedroom <1000 sqft cottage in the jungle. Admittedly, 4 of my six children no longer live with me, but I love the simpler life that I'm living now, and I do not miss ANY of the stuff that I got rid of.

Downsizing is sometimes very therapeutic.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was going to be a thread about waistlines.

Just remember, we don't own our possessions, our possessions own us.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Two years ago: Large three-bedroom, three-bath townhouse to an apartment with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, but half the square footage. (Admittedly, ex-spouse (and more important to space considerations, all of his STUFF) did not move here.) A lot went to Goodwill, the rest we somehow managed to cram in here. A squeeze; but nothing went in storage, and it's easier to clean, and get from one end of the place to the other.

Next month, moving into my parents' place for a year. Much bigger place -- but they already have furniture. So some of our stuff is making the move (beds, mostly), and the rest is heading into storage. Including most of my books (I'll miss them!), and whatever else I think I can possibly manage without for a year.

The rest I need to get a thrift shop to cart off.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

quote:
Including most of my books
I had to leave about 95% of my books in storage. It has made me sad. Ryan is sad too. He liked to pull the books off the shelves.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe how much stuff I have - for one person! - but if you take out the books, the electronics, and the art supplies, there's not much at all. [Razz]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.