FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I Love the '90s

Author Topic: I Love the '90s
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm creeped out.

Since the first "I Love the '80s" show on VH1 aired for the first time, I've been hooked on these shows. Pretending to reminisce, and quizzing my 40-year-old dad, about the '70s and '80s has been awesome.

But this week VH1 has been airing the newest installment, "I Love the '90s". I watched it, not fully realizing what I was watching until their first segment.

"Why are they talking about Power Rangers, Free Willy, the start of X-files, and Dumb & Dumber like it happened a decade ago?"

And then I realized it did happen a decade ago.

Holy crap, I'm 17! I'm not supposed to be old enough to reminisce about something that I can remember!

But I do. I remember watching Ren & Stimpy for the first time, or seeing every parent in the world flip out every time they heard the words "Mortal Kombat", "Power Rangers", or "Modonna". I just don't remember it happening ten years ago.

So, yeah, I'm creeped out. I am somewhat comforted by the fact that everybody in their mid-twenties or over already had to go through this with all three shows, but it still gives me the heebies.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna have to watch this show. I have a 2-year gap in my pop-culture knowledge during the middle of the '90s. Time to fill it in with VH1.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
It gets worse.

Wait until you become the major demographic.

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah

These kids today, only haveing one decade to remember.

I remember when I only had a decade or two behind me. I was still wet behind the ears.

Now I have to becarefull about oggling the young ladies, becuase they very well might be the kids of people I went to school with.

Talk about depressing.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen both the 1990 and the 1991 episode (the ones they've aired so far), and I'm enjoying it as much as I did the 80's. Since I actually only remembered the late 80's well, I have a feeling that the 90's series will be much more enjoyable for me.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quizzing my 40 year old dad
[Cry] AAaahhhhh

Now I feel like an old fogey. [Grumble]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
One of the things that hit me the other day when walking into a friend's house. They were watching some talk show on CNN, that used Marquee Moon as their theme music.

Television on teevee? Now I know we're really getting messed up!

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

They aired 92 and 93 last night.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Doh! And I missed it! (Tornadoes in our area = spent the evening doing things that didn't require electricity...like German homework.)
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
ooo I remember the 90s. That was back when I had no life...

wait...
[Wink]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, if you're only 17 you don't really remember the 90s. Heck, you were only 3 when they started.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Precisely, Bob. That's why, while I loved watching I love the 80's, it didn't have the same effect on me that the 90's series will. I don't know about anyone else, but I wasn't really too much aware of pop culture and trends until I got to middle school/high school (which was the early 90's).
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

Don't worry, Dan, I was estimating. He's actually 42 next month. [Wink]

Bob, that's what I'm saying. I shouldn't remember these things as vividly as I do, being 17. I started watching the show thinking I wouldn't remember squat 'til they reached '97.

Nick
Member # 4311

well, I remember quite a bit, but I got 2 years on you Goat. It was a rather... boring decade. Nothing really happened... I mean, Desert Storm and all of that, but I was too young to understand what war really meant. Everybody my age was.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, excuse me, CyberDan, I was four.

Is this the season to reminisce, or what? I was just going over the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers (as opposed to every subsequent clone, all of which sucked ASS) with a new friend of mine, both of us giggling like lunatics over the games we used to play. I even downloaded a couple episodes of the series -- you know you're cool if you remember "Food Fight." Remember? With the pig? In the helmet? And he ate everything? Including the Rangers' weapons? And Trini and Billy, the coolest two Rangers, came up with a plan to defeat him by FEEDING HIM CHILI PEPPERS, which would make him barf everything back up? Eh? Remember?

Course you do.

I'm so glad I grew up with that.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"AAaahhhhh

Now I feel like an old fogey. "

Tell me about it.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
when they start using the heavy metal Deviltry song of your youth to sell SUVs that cost more than some houses (Ozzy's Crazy Train on the Mistubishi commercials) and you hear songs from your college years on the "Classic Rock" stations, then you are really in for it...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that some of my high school friends are married with children is scary enough.

And the green ranger was the coolest. Hands. Down.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
If you'd been older when it came out, you'd have been a pink ranger fan. [Wink]

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

I LOATHED power rangers.
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
<= agrees with Dag
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

You know you're old when you prefer Yogi Bear to any $@$@# picinic basket stealing ranger of any color.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
You know you are older when the Ranger you loved was accompanied by a guy named Tonto.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azile
Member # 2312

- posted      Profile for Azile   Email Azile         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the VH1's 90's and 80's also. I'm seventeen like you, Da_goat and obviously I didn't remember much on the 80's.

A lot of the things I saw felt just like it happened not long ago. Like the last episode of Save By the Bell, I remember watching the last episode just like it was yesterday and I was extrememly surprise when I heard what year the show ended (1992?).

I was a poser elitist when I was kid. I scorned the Power Rangers, but secretly like it. The same goes for Barney. I made fun of my cousin whenever she watched Barney but made sure to sit and watch it with her, whenever she turned on a tape.

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

You two are so full of it.

Billy was, hands down, the best Power Ranger. Best weapons, best uniform, best zord, best personality, best everything.

Though looking back, I see Zack was a playa. No wonder Kimberly always had a smile on her face.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta agree about the blue ranger. He was supposed to be a nerd, but he really got the best everything. Heck, he was probably the best looking dude, too.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

*snort* Exactly. Best looking DUDE.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
And why, exactly, would I be interested in anything else? Why should I care how attractive a four-foot-five chinese dude looks wearing a skirt that covers his junk? Cause you KNOW that's what's under the costume, guys.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe could whomp up on your sissy Power Rangers any day of the week.
Anti-Christ
Member # 5714

- posted      Profile for Anti-Christ           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa. Megan, you are my hero for doing German homework in a tornadoeish time. Lalo, you said zord, hero. Dan, you are my hero for putting 'picinic'. That is all...

The D.

Posts: 125 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

PSI, dude is fine for you. Makes me wonder about Lalo, though.
Lalo
Member # 3772

Heh.

I think I might've been the only kid in North America with a crush on Trini over Kimberly. She was hot! I'm not sure if I extended my crush on her to the few Asian chicks at my elementary schools, or if it was the other way around, but I'm pretty sure Trini had me loving for long time the Asian race.

Then I discovered puberty and Latinas and, alas, Korea held no more appeal.

But for some time, whoo damn. Even if she did have the most worthless weapons ever. Seriously, even Kimberly could shoot something or whack enemies with a respectable distance. Daggers? Just sad.

D, have I shown you that Power Rangers entry in my journal? The one where I prove, beyond all doubt, that Saban was racist? Heh, believe it or not, I actually got fans from it. Call me the voice of the people, call me the real white meat messenger of God, call me hunka hunka man meat with voice of angel and spirit of tiger crouching, call me what you will, but c'mon. Zack? Is it really coincidence he got that zord? With that nose? C'mon.

IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I just love the fact that VH1 has become sort of a chronicler of pop culture. It's "I Love the *'s" series, Best Week Ever, Top * of *, etc.

I find it all very fun.

Plus, though I remember the 80's the 90's began when I was 16 and, of course, that is when you are most in tune with pop-culture. So it reminds me of high school and all the good memories of moving out on my own, etc.

Ian

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Christ
Member # 5714

- posted      Profile for Anti-Christ           Edit/Delete Post 
HAH, you'll have to link me to that sometime. In the meantime, why don't you go leave some comments, he-who-complained-that-he-couldnt? *stern look*

The D

Posts: 125 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

quote:
You know, I just love the fact that VH1 has become sort of a chronicler of pop culture. It's "I Love the *'s" series, Best Week Ever, Top * of *, etc.
I have mixed feelings about it. I enjoy those shows, but they also seem to be pulling all the music out of VH1. It's not as bad as MTV yet, of course, but that could only be a matter of time.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
If you remember the 90's, you weren't really there.

Wait, something's coming back. Something about a TV talk show. Yeah.

[ July 14, 2004, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azile
Member # 2312

- posted      Profile for Azile   Email Azile         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I only found out just recently that the who actor played Trini died in a car accident sometime around September 11th.
Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Tommy was by far the coolest power ranger. He had long HAIR, and studied martial arts in real life. Tommy was a dreamboat!
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

Whoa...

http://www.tabletsofdestiny.com/trini.html

Julian Delphinki
Member # 6686

- posted      Profile for Julian Delphinki   Email Julian Delphinki         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Power Rangers can die? They always seemed like they couldn't? [Wall Bash]
Posts: 20 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I was always jealous that Tommy had better hair than me, and could pull off the half-up-in-a-braid look better than me too. [Cry]

We talked about this in hat chat one night. There are always five power rangers: Pretty Boy, Nerd, Token Black Guy, Token Asian Chick, and Prissbag. All of the subsequent Power Rangers episodes have this formula.

---

I absolutely love the I love the decades shows. 80s was my favorite, because I remember my dad having a member's only jacket, and my brother having a teddy ruskspin.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little too creeped out to watch the '90s version. That's just wierd. Too recent in my memeory.
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.