FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Another Computer Advice Thread

Author Topic: Another Computer Advice Thread
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I already posted this over at GreNME, and it's not like me to cross-post, but I've only got a few hours to make the decision.

So I'm thinking about buying a new computer. It's probably not a good financial decision right now, so I probably won't.

Anyway, here are the specs:

2.8 GHz P4, 533 MHz FSB
WinXP Home
512 MB DDR RAM @ 333 MHz
80 GB HD
128 MB USB Memory Key
16x DVD-ROM
48x CD-RW
19-in CRT
128 MB ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
56k Modem

Total: $1076.

I figure I can scavenge the sound card and speakers from my current computer, or just deal with the integrated sound.

So is this a good deal? Could I do a lot better elsewhere? Am I shooting myself in the foot in the long(ish)-term by getting a less powerful machine that will become obsolete more quickly?

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
What are you going to do with it? It seems like a decent buy to me, but then I haven't looked at computer prices in a while. I might try to XP pro, but if you can't, you can't.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
Not worth it. Unless there are a lot of applications with it, you can get it for a lot cheaper.
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
All of this really depends a great deal on what you plan to use it for. Myself, I use my machine to write code and play games (not necessarily in that order), so I personally would not purchase that machine (which, it just so happens, is about equivalent to my current machine, which reached this state maybe a year and a half ago, maybe a little longer; can't remember).
Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julian Delphinki
Member # 6686

- posted      Profile for Julian Delphinki   Email Julian Delphinki         Edit/Delete Post 
For the technology out today that is a pretty sucky buy. I would recomend you look at dell and the company ibuypower for computers. I highly recomend these two companies as i own both. Shop around for a better deal man because that one is not that good.
Posts: 20 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I highly recomend these two companies as i own both.
*chuckle* You own Dell?
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Er, that is a Dell. That system is what I configured via an email ad that my father-in-law sent me. It's about $100 or so cheaper than what you'd get going in through their front page for exactly the same system.

I use my current computer for working on website stuff and small programs, and it does OK for that, although it's irritating how slow it loads. Given that my current machine is a 450 MHz P3, I'm sure this one would meet my programming needs. I would also like to play games on it, and from the small bit of poking around, this system seems to have somewhat more power than current games require.

So, Bernard, where can I get a computer for a lot cheaper?

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you willing to build it yourself?

Also, the new-college-students-uber-buy is about to start up. I'd wait a little while.
Satyagraha

[ July 14, 2004, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: Insanity Plea ]

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

That depends. Are you just going to point me at pricewatch?

Seriously, though, I have built computers before, and I'm sure I could do it again, but it's a lot of work, and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about ordering stuff piecemeal from a whole bunch of distributors that I've never heard of.

Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

Actually, no.
Fry's Electronics always has good mobo/cpu combo deals, or even barebones systems that you can build up. Of course there's Newegg as well. Of course those are as normal as pricewatch. However, one place that very few people tend to check is the: Fatwallet Hot Deals Forum, especially with the college student season coming up, I suggest keeping an eye out there for deals and rebates that people are able to put together for really cheap deals.
Satyagraha

Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

Note: remember the key to getting anything on the cheap is to wait. In this case, get your parts seperatly, wait for a $30 120g HD at Office Depot one week, a $100 cpu/mobo combo two weeks later, a $60 512mb stick of RAM sometime in between, etc. In doing that, I was actually able to upgrade my computer with another 512mb of ram and a second 120g harddrive for about $50 net, along with 30 TDK (Tayo Yuden) and 50 Ritek CD-Rs, 100 jewel cases, a phone, and goodness I don't remember what else. Seemingly it sounds like you're not overly urgent, so I'd suggest going along that route, in adverse to buying a full system for $1k.
Satyagraha

saxon75
Member # 4589

No, I'm not overly urgent. Actually, my master plan was to continue using my current POS until it either exploded or I struck gold and was able to afford whatever monstrosity Alienware had concocted at that time.
saxon75
Member # 4589

Of course, on the other hand, I'm not really sure I have the time or will to constantly shop around for deals.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
About once a month I go to Alienware and build an outrageously expensive system. A $6,000 laptop is something to behold.

Then I remind myself that I have no income for at least 12 months, and that I haven't had any for 12 months prior to now, so I delete it. [Frown]

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

Do what I do, every friday, take a few minutes out of your "constantly refresh hatrack" time and go to the forum and do a search for "ghz" or "gb" or "RAM" or whatever you need, usually stores like Office Depot/Max/Joebob put up their ads for the following week on Friday. Or during the week whenever you think about it. If you're using mozilla/firefox and have smart bookmarks, hit ctrl+t and fw searchstring and let it load in the background, it takes a few minutes at most.
Satyagraha

Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
That's not a bad deal if the CRT and support plan are decent.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.