FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » King's Dark Tower

Author Topic: King's Dark Tower
mickey_mouse
Member # 4533

- posted      Profile for mickey_mouse   Email mickey_mouse         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi ya'll

Been reading this series for the last few weeks. I'm in the middle of The Wastelands at this point and its all I can do to continue. It seems to be mediocre at best.

However I do know King's propensity to take forever and day to get a good story going. And since this is his longest story to date I just wanted to make sure that I'm not wasting my time.

So I'm not looking for anyone to tell me what happens, but I am looking for encouragement. Of course if it is completely a waste of time all the way through I would like to know that now, as opposed to 2500 pages from now.

Thank you, ladies and Gents

The Mick

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
If you weren't hooked by Drawing of the Three, then I don't know what to tell you. After that, I couldn't imagine not reading further.

Personally, I would encourage you to read them, but then again, I've never had a hard time finishing any of the books. They've all been thoroughly entertaining to me. So if you're halfway through Wastelands and still not hooked, then perhaps they're not for you.

I'd finish this one if I were you. Get a chance to meet Blaine [Evil] and if you're still not interested, then I doubt you'll like the rest of the books.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
*Hums theme from Velcro Fly*
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
The first one hooked me. The second one disappointed me more. The third one even more, so that I almost put it down. But the last few pages were incredible, and the fourth one was really good too. I haven't read the new ones yet though.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I am in love with Roland. Simple as that. I'm terrified that King's gonna kill him off in the last book.

There's something about King's writing that just catches me on the first page, and I can't stop reading.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I ove to read, but I am not a big King fan. TDOTT didn't impress me until the end, and even then I didn't like it that much.

I think I might try to reread it, and if I like it better this time I'll get the rest.

I loved the The Gunslinger, but the rest was just too far out there for me...

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny. I thought the Gunslinger was the most tedious of the bunch to work through. I didn't really get hooked until Drawing of the Three, which I found to be sheer brilliance. And then some of the plot elements in Book 3 upped my cool-factor even more. The way they handle Jake's situation is...just wowwy wow.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy the books, but they don't suck me in as much as some books do. I enjoy reading them, but if I have things to do, I can easily put them down for a week or so. With many other books I forget everything but the reading.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
Such a gianormously wonderful series!

Got my hands on SongOfSusanna (actually.. saw it at Becky's when i went to visit and told her "i'm taking this, k?"). Once i finally had time to read (working at summer camp leaves very little opportunity for reading) i killed it in about 36hrs.

Can't wait for the finale. Can't wait to see how he's gonna end this MONSTER of a book. I've actually picked up Becky's habit of wanting to throw books because of it. Thank you, Mr. Stephen King. [Hat]

Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it. More like had it shown to you.

[Kiss]

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kicking myself right now. I got fed up with King and sold my books in the Dark Tower series because I was convinced by the time he finished it I would be an old lady who talked to cats. Now I'm gonna have to buy them all again. [Grumble]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
I just started this series the other day! I am still on the first book, but towards the end. They are just encountering the slow mutants.

Space Opera-

You could use the library, its free. No buying needed. I used to buy all my books too, but now that I am no longer living with the rents, I have rediscovered my love of the library. I really wish I still had the funds to continue growing my own library.

Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Uncanny how I always seem to be in-step with some trend or another being discussed on Hatrack. I started reading this series a few weeks ago as well. Currently finished with The Wastelands.

I thought that the first one was the worst so far. I like the second because of the complications and whatnot (trying not to spoil). The end of The Wastelands has definitely left me wanting more.

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Just be glad you didn't have to wait 6 years for the sequel to Wastelands!

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
No kidding! Those six years were a time of darkness and uncertainty. We didn't even know if King was going to finish the series.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished the first one this morning. I felt the end really pulled it together.
Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
The Wizard and the Glass (the fourth one) may simply be the best book the man has ever written. Its a close tie with It though. Generally its the one that I've reread the most recently.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Some wise-acre fan sent him a picture of a teaddy bear tied up and gagged, with a not that said, "Finish the Dark Tower or the bear gets it." He wrote that he had it up on a corkboard in his study at one point. Heartless B*stard. Luckily, I didn't start reading them until after Waste lands was published. Well after. So I only waited a year or two.

But it still sucked to wait that long. [Big Grin] Funny the sense of entitlement a reader gets after a cliffhanger ending.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.