FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: Children of the night, move over

Author Topic: New column: Children of the night, move over
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Children of the night, move over

Don't come by our house when sunlight is spreading its golden glory. Don't look for us in the park, at the mall, or swimming at the Y. Don't even think about calling before midnight. Our family has become nocturnal.

Up until now it's been just our teenager that takes back the night. Every year after school let out he would start sleeping later and later until finally he was getting up just in time for dinner. From May to August he became a virtual recluse, a shadowy, shirtless figure glanced out of the corner of the eye during late night bathroom runs, a suburban myth who lives on canned ravioli and navigates via sonar and reflected television light.

By the second month his skin would be nearly translucent. The jeans he'd been wearing since graduation gradually hardened into a tough, protective shell. Over time the deposits of blankets and fast food wrappers in his bedroom would become a teenager-shaped cocoon from which he could strain nutrients while he stared at his computer monitor. He no longer needed to blink. Legends said he could only be killed by the rays of the sun.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
fabulous as usual!

AJ<---who would be nocturnal on a weird 18 hours awake 10 hours asleep schedule if it weren't for work and the 24 hour day.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
So funny! My kids and I have started doing this to, and I'm not even sure how it began. Last night we all stayed up until 2...yikes!

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
ahh, the days before we had our child, when we could stay up until the wee hours of the morning and sleep in all day.

I wanna do that!!!!!ZZZzzzzzzzzzz.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
This is so me... =)
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been very nocternal as well lately. I stay up most nights until at least 2 usually later but I usually get up before 9 with the kids. Just last night I was out shooting pool with my neigbors untill 3:00 and didn't fall asleep untill after watching episode 10 of the Sapranos, which are being played from the begining on HBO on demand (This is an awesome thing because I only just got HBO and haven't seen any of them and can watch from the start now and I'm already hooked)
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toes
Member # 4603

- posted      Profile for Toes   Email Toes         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Great article as usual. I almost fell off my chair from laughing so hard. I can totally relate. The rest of my family (mom, dad, and brother) live by the early to bed early to rise lifestyle. I, on the other hand, have always been a night owl. The school year schedule of waking up early in the morning takes so much out of me that I long desperately for the summer. Now that it is the summer I have averaged bedtime at 2 in the morning and waketime just before lunch.

I feel so much healthier with this schedule, but the rest of the family hates it. Too bad! They can't make me face the day! [Big Grin]

Posts: 84 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like me. I hate direct sunlight... But I get forced awake at 7 or something no matter how late I go to bed.
So unfair...
If I had my way, I'd only come out at night all summer or I'd turn into a fish.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a day and a night time? *giggle* I hardly notice anymore with an hour on, two hours sleep repeated throughout the day/night.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I take it that it's not abnormal for a nearly 11 year old to want to stay up and read until 9:00 p.m. then?

[Angst]

What happened to my precious quiet time?

[Cry]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't seem to jar my internal clock from the 2am-10am sleep cycle.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Shan, my 10 year old is frequently allowed to stay up late and read (not this week, she's been complaining about being tired and having trouble getting up in the mornings -- what's up with that?). In her bed, and it's HER job to remember to turn out the light at the agreed-upon time.

She gets to read, I get to have Ha-- err, quiet time.

Works for me. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. My God. Banna, I am exactly the same way! I can't ever stay on a fixed sleeping cycle! And I sleep ten hours, too! You don't know how happy it makes me to learn that I am not the only deviant that is afflicted with this problem. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always been nocturnal. Discovered reading under the covers with a flashlight by age five or six. Take after my mom that way. When I was in elementary school and my dad worked out of town a lot, my mom would stay up all night, get me off to school, and then sleep until about time for me to come home.

Now that I'm not working, I'm back on the night schedule - I rarely go to sleep before 2 a.m. I like that so much better than when I was working and going to school and having to get up at 5 or 6 a.m. every day. There seemed so little point. Even though I was theoretically awake, up and walking around, anything resembling normal brain function didn't kick in until sometime after noon.

Oddly, though, I once had a night job, didn't go in until midnight. That didn't work at all.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
lol, I loved it

I am a fan of the nocturnal life style as well. If I ever win the lotto my normal sleep schedule will be 3:00am-11:00am

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azile
Member # 2312

- posted      Profile for Azile   Email Azile         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that it's summer, I sleep at four and wake at twelve. During the school year, I would sleep as early as possible and wake up at four. I like the summer schedule better.

I never actually commented before, but I have read a number of your articles you've posted here and enjoyed every single one. [Smile]

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Being nocturnal is fun. I am lucky enough to have a job where my shift is from 6 pm to 6 am, and I love it.

If only there was more to do in Lexington on weeknights...

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.