FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Club for people who don’t network (socially)

Author Topic: Club for people who don’t network (socially)
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Here in this club we get together in big groups to be apart from one another. If you’re lonely and you like it, join the club!

If you aren’t good at networking, if you don’t want to network, or both, this is the club for you. Here we spend most of our time engaged in such activities as:

1. Not talking to one another
  2. Being by ourselves
  3. Playing Game Boys we’ve brought from home
  4. Getting jealous of those who own Game Boys but not saying anything about it
  5. Lunch
If you think this is the club for you, then come on in! Even though no one will welcome you at least you’ll finally get to go to a party where not only do you not want to talk or interact with anyone, they don’t want to speak to you either!

So if you’ve ever felt invaded by pleasant conversation, or if you feel that sometimes it’s OK to be alone at parties, we have the shin-dig for you!

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Is this like the Diogynis Club that Mycroft Holme's belongs to?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a cool party
*reads Elfquest while listening to a discman*

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
[lurk on]

Psst. Are their snacks?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
*Looks uncomfortable after Dan’s faux-pas, but doesn’t want to make a scene or draw any attention*

Yah, they’re over there.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
As long as it involves no further posting in this topic... club +1 [Big Grin]
Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
*Wanders in and sits down with laptop*
*Wonders if there's a wireless network*
*Doesn't ask*
*Plays solitare on the laptop instead*

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
*pokes head into thread*

*stays only for the amount of time required to be considered as having attended*

*leaves*

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
*wanders in, takes a beanbag-chair and sits down with a book*
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Mr.Gumby   Email Mr.Gumby         Edit/Delete Post 
*sits down*

*plays gameboy*

Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
*ignores humans in the room*
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Mr.Gumby   Email Mr.Gumby         Edit/Delete Post 
*jumps up and down and does happy dance after beating metroid*
Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meruhesae
Member # 6698

- posted      Profile for Meruhesae   Email Meruhesae         Edit/Delete Post 
*watches everybody*
*whips out Harry Potter 5*
*ignores everything*

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
A club for people who don't socialize is like an orgy for Ona...whoops. Stop right there. We don't want Papamoose to be upset if we use the O word.

Return to lurk mode.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
*sniffs*

Geeks.

*idly bounces a superball off the wall*

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
<one by one walks up to everyone in the room, tries to start a conversation, fails utterly, and leaves, hated by everybody>
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
*pokes head into the room*
*plugs self into discman*
*quietly meanders to an empty corner*
*sits and watches the people in the room, drinking up the music from the discman*

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
::walks in::

::sits down in the spot furthest from anyone else::

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that I've got you all here, it's time for your de-programming.

First, we'll be playing some get-to-know-you games and introducing one another. Then, we'll be going on a group outing. Everyone pick a buddy!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

OK, CT - you're with Tick. Everyone else line up according to height.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
::looks at CT::

Uh, Hi.

::awkward silence::

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
It's better than the poison ivy thing. [Angst] [Eek!]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

(and I thought the head-bashing to escape my father was bad. o_O)

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, I'm officially scared of you.

*runs away*

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
YOU'RE scared? I'm sharing a room with her! [Angst]
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
CT, yesterday I was told by a shrink who's been working with my kids that, "Social skills are clearly not a <insert my last name here> skill."

I would have argued, but she's right. [Dont Know] (I was thinking, "And tact is clearly not a <insert her last name here> skill.")

*joins party*

*pulls out Palm, starts to read fanfic*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

As a state FFA vice president, I had to attend all kinds of leadership training workshops. I know every icebreaker activity ever invented.

Alright, now we go around the circle. Everyone tell us your name and something you like that begins with the same letter. The next person has to repeat the ones before and add his own, so the last person in the circle will have to remember everyone else's name and item.

Hi, I'm Annie and I like Ambergris.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, don't forget the one where everyone takes a at least one, but no limit on how many pieces of toilet paper, then has to tell that many things about themselves. Oooh you guys should do that one at KamaCon
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*without looking up from fanfic, administers Vulcan neck pinch to Annie*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
While I enjoy a good icebreaker, CORPORATE icebreakers are stultifyingly icky. Me, I'm a bit more in-your-face about icebreaking -- so, like ripping off a bandaid, it hurts more but doesn't take as long. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
We did hundreds of Icebreakers in the Americorps. So many we fell in.

*chats online in between reading this enthralling book*

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, you made me choke!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Oh. You should try not to do that, mack.

Someone might have to rescue you.

mackillian
Member # 586

--I--
Meruhesae
Member # 6698

- posted      Profile for Meruhesae   Email Meruhesae         Edit/Delete Post 
*wonders what she got herself into*
*backs slowly away from ice-breaking activities*

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Someone might have to rescue you.
*dies laughing*
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

[Mad]
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh...Claudia...you're married, right? I seem to have gathered that tidbit somewhere? I think you've set the new standard for "I don't wanna and you can't make me" excuse. [Eek!]

Granted, I have no social skills, but I am trying. Really. Honestly.

As for the cinderblock thing - make sure you turn with your hips to get maximum momentum from the swing. You may break your forearm, but you will know how to throw a good elbow. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Snicker - I'm well beyond hope at the moment.

I was simply calling into question your statement of an absolute lack of said-same.

[Big Grin]

And you still have the reigning standard for "I don't wanna" - at least, of anyone willing to admit it in a readily reportable format. [Taunt]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Dagonee gets a bajillion cool points for that Sherlock reference
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.