FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fair and Balanced Books...or since that doesn't exist....

Author Topic: Fair and Balanced Books...or since that doesn't exist....
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy!

A friend of mine, a good conservative, asked me to recommend some books from a liberal perspective that I thought would be worth reading. Having not read a lot of politcal themed books, I picked out a few that had garnered good reviews and, if disputed for their content, were at least well written and short on rage. I suggested "House of Bush, House of Saud," "Bushwacked" by Molly Ivins (who doesn't like Bush policies but actually takes time to explain why and not just holler at him) and Richard Clarke's book. True, two aren't sold as "liberal" but they have been accepted as liberal canon for being critical of the Bush administration.

So I asked him to give me suggestions for books about the right that I should read as a devout liberal. What I didn't want were the "Liberals are out to screw America!" books that riddle the store shelves. That means no O'Reilly, no Coulter, no Limbaugh (either one), and so on. I also didn't want apologists like former Bush employees gushing about their former boss.

I was wondering if people had suggestions about books that are positive or at least objective about conservative works in the last 4 years, the war, economy, etc. I hear Bob Woodward's two books were pretty objective (doubting it, but heard this) but not much more than that.

Any ideas or recommendations? It would be greatly appreciated. Have a lot of reading to catch up on in the next few months.

Ciao,

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.