FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Monthly Book Club

Author Topic: Hatrack Monthly Book Club
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
I love old-fashioned book clubs. You know, the kind where a bunch of nerds with nothing else better to do decide to all read the same book during the space of one month then get together to discuss inane details such as, "Did you notice how often the writer uses the phrase 'thus it was?'"

So, since the title of this forum begins with BOOKS, I thought this would be an appropriate place for such a club to form. I am a bit new to this community, so I don't know if this has been done in the past, but here is how I propose we start such a club.

I know that one cause of the demise of book clubs is that there are disagreements over what book should be picked next. Here is my proposed solution. The first person to respond to this post will be designated August's book-picker.(You can pick your books and you can pick your nose, but . . . ) The second person to respond would be designated Septembers's, etc. Then all members of the club will email the book-picker their ideas for next month's book. The book-picker will then post his or her selection around the 1st of the month. Discussion of the book will begin on the 25th, with lots of SPOILER warnings.

Any book, be it history or westen, classic or post-modern, biography or technical manual, is open to selection. There is only one rule for suggestions: Any book chosen must be available at the local library. I don't have the money to purchase textbooks, much less monthly leisure-reading books, so I depend on libraries.

Any takers? Suggestions for improvement?

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
Been tried multiple times never really gets off the ground.
Satyagraha

[ July 22, 2004, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: Insanity Plea ]

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
However, had I to choose a book, I'd say...for a random choice (and it's really random) Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake.
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, according to the "rules," you are\ the book-picker for August. Therefore, Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake is hereby chosen as the book to discuss, beginning this August 25th (which is 3 days before my birthday.) Anyone who wishes to read Gormenghast during the next month (or who has already familiar with it) can join in the discussion, beginning the 25th.

As to past failures of book club ventures, you know what they say: If at first you don't succeed . . .

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough I just read that for the first time a few months back....very weird, but interesting.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

Excellent. So now we have at least 3 people who can discuss it on the 25th [Smile] .
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I am, ashamedly, one of the people that has attempted this in the past. My summer reading group was a failure due to my own slacking. [Embarrassed] There was a lot of interest, some participation, and then the thread died a slow, peaceful death.

Anyway, I'd love to participate. I have learned enough not to promise anything. Things come up, and time flies by, but if I can I'll try and keep up and be a part of this one. [Smile] I still think it's an excellent idea.

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

Consider me IN.
Satyagraha

Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

So far, there are 4 club members: Me, Insanity Plea, Kwea, and hasenj. Insanity Plea has already chosen August's book, Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake (Do you, Mervyn, the Sherriff of Rottingham . . . Mervyn? Your name's Mervyn?")

Kwea will choose September's book, hasenj will choose October's book, and the next person to reply to this who hasn't already replied will choose November's book. Everyone has a little over a month to read the book, and we'll discuss it on August 25th with a separate thread. Happy reading, y'all!

p.s. The discussion is open to anyone (of course,) but in order to be a book-picker you have to reply to this thread. It makes things a lot easier.

[edit: this is my 100th post! yay!]

[ July 23, 2004, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Brian J. Hill ]

MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going on vacation, but count me in, too. I'll probably steal it from Bernard when I go up to visit him for Kamacon.

[Big Grin] Yay! A book club!

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.