FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is a person's private sex life a valid political criterion? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is a person's private sex life a valid political criterion?
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think sex clubbing is just as good reason not to vote for someone as being fat, bald, or dressed funny. When's the last time we nominated one of those?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Pooka, have you taken a good look at some of the politicians we have had in office? O_O
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, any reason is a good enough reason not to vote for someone.

Seriously.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
This is strange... how did the media talking about this make his campain collapse? Why didn't he stick with it?
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

touche, Telperion... good call.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
He was brought enough to know when to cut his losses.

-Trevor

Edit: Moron. Me, that is. It was supposed to be "bright" enough. Faugh.

[ July 24, 2004, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

What gets me is that this board has a large collection of what would be considered 'perverts' by a lot of the rest of the nation, or does everyone here think that LDS are the norm throughout the country? Essentially, the argument for voting on someone's personal predilictions is that you want someone like you because, therefore, that person is 'trustworthy'. If this is the case, most Mormons on the board may as well not even attempt to run for office. Likewise, you roll players are right out. And how about you book readers? You ain't representative of very many people, you know.

Jim-Me is absolutely right. If everything is relevant, nothing is relevant.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I wasn't being sarcastic, Stormy, I meant it.

It's like getting married. If you don't want to marry someone, you don't need a reason. Same with voting, if you don't want to vote for someone, don't.

Either way, though, you have to be prepared for the results.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I know you meant it. I wasn't being sarcastic either.

My point in this thread isn't to say that a person can't vote on a candidate's 'character'. Obviously, in our glorious atomic age with the electronic media ever present, it's almost impossible for people not to know everything about you. If it doesn't get outright recorded while you are doing it, people will get it second-hand from your friends, relatives, wives, former lovers, etc. So, with this knowledge, some people are going to use it as a factor in their decisions.

My question is should they. My answer is, they should not. Just because a technology exists and we can find out whatever we want about our neighbors, friends, enemies and politicians, doesn't mean it should be used without discretion or that people should pay attention to it when it is.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.