FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The weirdest coincidence...

Author Topic: The weirdest coincidence...
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm walking home from shopping on a calm & hot summer evening. And I'm thinking: "What if someone asked me in English for directions ?! I never pay attention to street names and such, I'd have no idea what to say. But at least I speak English [Razz] "

("someone" = "cute English girl" [Wink] )

50 meters later, a car stopps and a guy comes out and waves at me. As I approach him, he starts asking me in English how to get from Lyon to Valence. [Confused] No idea... But what I can tell him is how to the get to the train station in Lyon (I'm actually in Villeurbanne, not Lyon, but close), and that he could ask there for further information.

Granted, it was a guy, not a girl. And his English was worse than mine. (since when is "autobahn" an English word ?! [Big Grin] ) But still, it's a sign that someone up there is trying to give me what I want. He/she/it just needs to work on the details...

Now what will I wish for next ?!

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Peace on earth, so that we get to go to war in space.

(I'm reading Lathe of Heaven right now.)

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Get by with a little help from your friends?
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, "autobahn" makes a heck of a lot more sense than the actual English term... "freeway"? What the heck is a free-way? And how come freeways are often elevated and cost money, while "highways" are never high nor costly?

[Razz]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a move based on Lathe of Heaven... didn't understand it at all...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that there was a movie based on it. I'm not surprised that it didn't make sense.

I am really enjoying the book, though.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
ARGH...the movie was so terrible. I tuned out halfway through it and barely remember what happened that led up to the ending. That's how memorable it was.

But the premise was very good, and I'd like to read the book if they ever get one at Bookman's.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

mph, peace on Earth ? I don't think I'm ready to take the blame for he/she/it understanding the sounds, but not the writing... (p*ss...) Other suggestions ?!
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, "Freeways" are always free. If you pay to use a road it is a "Toll-road" or "Turnpike". I'm pretty sure the term "freeway" came about to describe roads that weren't toll-roads or turnpikes since most actively maintained roads in the past were on private property and the owners charged a toll.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
yup
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Corwin, I have no idea what you just said. [Dont Know]
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Really? People around here (central NY) are always referring to I-90 (all toll) as "The Freeway". It's really the only thing in this entire state I would really refer to as a freeway, coming from CA... even the highways here are crummy little two-lane nightmares.
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

He means the Powers That Be might misunderstand him and we'd find ourselves drenched in something nasty.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Karl Ed, right on !
KarlEd
Member # 571

[edit - this is in response to z's comment above] Common usage aside, the word does not apply to toll-roads. You probably won't find I-90 listed as the "Such-and-Such Freeway" on any map. Unfortunately many people get lazy in their choice of words and don't really thing about what a term really means.

Additionally, interstate (and many state) roads are more "routes" than "roads". So, for example, I-95 can include sections that are toll-roads. State highways are good examples of this as many go right through the center of towns making zig-zags through the populated areas using ordinary city streets.

[ July 23, 2004, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: KarlEd ]

Zeugma
Member # 6636

Good to know, Karl!

I've found that the NE seems a lot more persnickety about the proper names for things than the area where I grew up. In CA, it seemed like you could name a community whatever you thought sounded good... the City of Chico, the Town of Paradise.... but here in NY, "city", "town", "village", and "hamlet" all have very specific meanings. Thus you end up with the Village of Dryden and the Town of Dryden, and they're apparently completely different communities. Very strange. [Razz]

closeyourmind
Member # 5916

- posted      Profile for closeyourmind   Email closeyourmind         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, a freeway is a limited access road without any traffic impeding devices (i.e. traffic lights). The lack of such devices is what makes it free. Refer to the freeway definition from free-definition.com. Apparently the non tollroad definition is a common misconception.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Hmmm, I stand corrected. [Blushing]

But wouldn't this also remove Toll-road from the "Freeway" category since a toll booth is most definitely an obstruction?

[ July 26, 2004, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: KarlEd ]

HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's really the only thing in this entire state I would really refer to as a freeway, coming from CA... even the highways here are crummy little two-lane nightmares.
Atlanta: 12 lanes in each direction.
Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
2 lanes in each direction!? There are only two of those in my entire state. Three lanes and more are for flatlanders and big city folk. Real motorists drive the windy pothole-ridden one-lane highways of Vermont's backcountry at interstate speeds. I know I do. [Big Grin]

[ July 26, 2004, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: WheatPuppet ]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Such coincidences are actually proof that we are all part (on some level) of the non-local organizing intelligence.

Coincidences on a larger scale can also include the rather common occurrence of separate people coming up with the same idea or process at the same time, while having no knowledge of the other's work or intentions.

Or, say you think about an old friend you haven't seen for years, and they call you that same day.

I think when we move closer to discovering and following the purpose of our lives, coincidences like that become more common (or so it seems to me).

*blush* Why, yes. I have been reading Deepak Chopra. [Big Grin] [Wink] *snicker*

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Corwin -- you said this guy spoke worse English than you, which to me means he is not a native-English speaker.

So why did he choose to use English to communicate with you? What do you think was his native language?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I tell a weirdest coincidence story?

When I lived in the dorms, I woke up one morning and was trying to remember the French word for rabbit. I knew I knew the word, but for the life of me couldn't remember it. As I left my room and turned the corner, I saw a girl putting up a poster for a play (which I hadn't heard of until this point) called Picasso at the Lapin Agile. Aha! That's it! Lapin!

Now what are the chances of that?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Farmgirl, from his use of the word 'autobahn', as well as from his accent, I'd say probably German. As to why he was talking to me in English: he was just passing by France, he had a loooooong list of cities he had to pass through. I didn't look for departure or destination though. So my guess is that he just didn't know any French, and enough English not to be embarrassed about it [Big Grin]

Annie, wow, that's one strange coincidence, and it's even stranger that it ressembles mine, involving something in a foreign language with respect to the country it has happened in. I'm glad you wrote it here, makes me feel less lonely in my weirdeness [Big Grin]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.