FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » ABBA: The Music

Author Topic: ABBA: The Music
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I know many of the music elitist will scoff at me, but I love ABBA. I grew up with their music and I lusted after Anna-Frida and Agnetha as a teenager.

There is a group that does an ABBA show, sort of like those Beetle tribute groups. For my birthday my parents got me tickets to the show tonight. The weather promised to be in the low 70's, low humidity and a slight breeze. Looks like it will be a great night.

The only problem will be that my wife will try and keep me from singing along.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE ABBA!

If you change your mind! I'm the first in line! Honey I'm still free! Take a change on me!

I do I do I do I do I do!

The winner takes it all! The looser has to fall! The gods will throw the dice...their minds as cold as ice! And someone way down here! Loses someone dear!

I've been so lucky, I am the Girl with Golden Hair! I wanna sing it out to everybody! What a life, what a joy, what a chance! Thank you for the music! The songs I'm singing!

[Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
*flees*
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I love listening to Abba.

I listen to Abba Oro (Spanish version of Abba Gold) a lot.

*goes off to listen*

[ July 23, 2004, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] *laughs and scoffs at msquared and Telperion*

and mph, who posted while this was being written. [Taunt]

[ July 23, 2004, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're an ABBA fan, you should come to Vegas and see the musical Mamma Mia!

I haven't seen it, but then I'm not a big ABBA fan. It's pretty successful here, though.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Super trooper beams are gonna blind me, shining like the sun! Smiling havin' fun... Feeling like a number one! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh hell.

I guess I have to borrow a buddy's ABBA cd and see what the fuss is about.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Give in!

*wonders why mph wasn't scorned as well [Frown] *

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Don't touch it, Trevor!

It's EVIL! [Angst]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
MPH,

the error, such as it was, has been corrected. [Wink]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Erik

Why is it evil? They had some of the best pop hooks ever put to music. It is music you can dance to and sing to.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I love ABBA ! And I'm not ashamed to say it !
All ABBA fans, let's party:
[Party]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

[Party] [The Wave]

We need a singing Graemlin.

msquared

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Eeevil! For those very reasons.

*puts on Marquee Moon by Television to ward off remembering Knowing Me Knowing You*

Ah-Haaah...

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

ABBA Swedish party!!

[Party]

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] ABBA fan. Right here. I love it.

And I love that song Telp (Super Trouper). My other favorite song "The Piper" is on that album as well as "Me and I" and some other real gems.

I was raised on ABBA LPs blasting from my dad's nifty turntable with stereo speakers that folded out. The height of coolness. [Big Grin]

If you want proof that the members of ABBA are/were good musicians, just check out the musical "Chess." It was written by two members of the band I believe, and as far as recent musicals go (most of which I'm not a fan) the music in this one is really really nice.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Two words: Muriel's Wedding
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Two words:

Porpoise Spit!

Does that make me australophillic or do I just fancy dolphins?

fallow

PS. Or do I fancy a rack of porpoise on the spit? *nyuck nyuck*

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the musical "Chess" -- didn't they do the music for that?
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
plaid,

do dolphins play chess? please tell me they don't. they wouldn't.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]

Mama Mia. I always loved that song [Smile] . How many of us grew to love them from our parents playing the tunes? Mine used to play them during vacations in the early eighties [Smile] .

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still sad that I didn't manage to see Mamma Mia when it was playing in L.A. But I just don't make it to shows, even ones I really want to see.

*wanders off singing* Dancing queen, young and sweet, only seventeen . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
My personal favorite is "Take a Chance on Me."

I lived with a good friend of mine a couple of summers ago, and she christened it the "Summer Of ABBA." She'd write ABBA lyrics on our diner-style reader board that we had hung in the window and change them weekly.

She had to write a sonnet for a class of hers that summer, and made it all about her favorite Swedish band. Bet you can't guess what the rhyme scheme was. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.