FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I just came from Police Station

Author Topic: I just came from Police Station
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup...that's it. Do you want to know why I came from the Police Station and why do I have this swollen right eye? Because I'm stupid! Because I messed up and will probably end up loosing my job. Sorry if I feel angry. I have to vent a little.
So, in one of my classes (I teach in some "favelas" here in Rio) there is a young girl (17 years) called "Jo"(not her real name). She is nice, bright and likes to study. Some times, I noticed, she does not come to class, and sometimes, when she comes, she's awfully hurt. Two days ago she had a broken arm. Finally, I got the nerve to talk to her and ask what was happening. She told me it wasn't a big deal. It was because her father sometimes got a little violent when he smoked or used cocaine.
Well...I got another teacher and, together, we told her it WAS a big deal. After that, she cried and told us she have nowere else to go.
After that, I was VERY dumb. Me and the other teacher invited her to sleep one night in my house, one night in the other teacher's house. Before that, we went to the police station (we needed to file a complaint and ask the police if our arrangement was allright, since she's a minor, you know). They said that it would not have a problem if it would be only for a couple of days (enough for them to find another solution).
I kept working as normal, but tonight her father showed up, entered my class, pointed me a gun, punched me twice, ordered the girl to go home (she went) and told me he would talk with the local drug dealers.

I guess I'm a real bastard, because I should be worried about "Jo", but I'm mostly worried about my own security for now on.

I know nobody here can do anything but, as I said, I had to vent. [Mad]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, no! That's terrible!

Grrrrr, I hate punks like that. And poor Jo! [Frown] What will she do now?

I'm so sorry Eduardo! This is awful!

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
Not knowing the laws in Brazil, I'm only guessing by trying to give you hope. Still, this incident may not cost you your job, and may actually have made the case for the police to intervene a little stronger. Good for you for being a good person trying to do the right thing. Whatever happens, your deed has given me inspiration to not turn away from those in need.
Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
:: hugs and offers icepack ::
You tried to do the right thing, if anything else, it showed Jo that there are good people out there willing to try to help.
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Eduardo, you are my hero, man. You did the right thing.

Only a fool wouldn't be worried about his security in a situation like yours.

Why do you think you will be losing your job?

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to hear that. Sometimes, there just doesn't seem to be any solution. [Frown]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would you loose your job? You didn't do anything that is wrong.

Unless the drug dealers have a hold on your bosses or something...

I'm not being sarcastic, wither. Just be careful, adn keep out of harms way if you can. Only a fool wouldn't be worried about their saftey.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got some serious respect for you, guy.

Worry about the drug dealers. There are a lot of crack addicts or lowlifes who're willing to kill for money or drugs -- I'd assume that's all the more true in Brazil. Get some kind of weapon, if you can, and learn how to use it. Even a knife, if you can't carry a gun -- intelligent use of it can make all the difference in a fight.

I wouldn't worry about your job at all. You should be commended by your superiors.

As far as Jo goes, are there no social services you can appeal to? Jesus christ.

If you want to help her get out of the country, I can help. When she becomes legal, she can apply for citizenship -- if that fails, she can, in a purely legal sense, marry me for a green card and divorce me a year or two later. I'll have to look up the possible penalties of what I'm fairly certain is a crime on some level or another, but if it's at all doable, I've got no problem helping her escape that life.

Good luck, dude. Let us know how it turns out.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok...I was seriously angry, tired and beaten-up when I wrote my last message. So, it needs some clarification.

See...I'm not worried about loosing my job because my superiors would think what I did was wrong. It wasn't. The problem is: if Jo's father talked to the drug dealers and they decide that I'm not to enter the "favela" anymore, well...it's sad, but their word is law, over there. We call it "poder paralelo" (paralell power) over here. My superiors would rather fire me than put my life in risk.

Oh, yes: my life is not in risk. Nobody should worry about that. I'm not worried. Jo's father is probably arrested or on the run, right now. As the police officer told us, he went a little too far when he threatened (and punched) me.
As for Jo, the relief association's president (in which building I teach, over there) told us that he would try to find her a place to live and work in another favela (where I also teach) where another drug gang hold sway (so, even if her father has some clout with local dealers, he won't be able to get her back). I'll only know how it worked out next monday.

I'd like to thanks Hatrack forum for just being there for me. I know I have not written much, and that I should post more comments on other people's threads, and I'll really try to do that more often, ok?

And don't worry, guys. If I loose this job, I won't be unemployed. I got another one teaching at the brazilian air force academy. It's preety nice and pays well. I'm only teaching at night in the "favelas" because I'd like to teach my classes until the end of school year (december, here in Brazil) and see them graduated. If there's some problem and I can't I'll be fine, and there would be some other teacher taking my place over there.

Thanks, people. I'm really better now, after some sleep.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry about it, Eduardo. We're here for you, no matter what. [Smile]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
That's very sad that the drug gangs are so powerful in Brazil. I hope things change soon. Though, I'm glad to hear you'll be doing o.k., I imagine that you'll be very hard to replace.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
hats off, man. you did well, and right.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I'm so glad things look a little more favorable now. I got so upset and angry about this, and was trying to think of what we ought to do. Also I worried that if something happened to you, if you just stop posting, we would never know what was going on or if you needed help or anything.

I am proud of you for what you've done. I wonder if you might not ought to keep a pistol with you in the future, in case anyone should threaten you again. I don't know what the laws about that are there. Anyway, it's something to think about. In my very rough high school we discovered that those who were known to be armed and determined to fight back were the ones who got left alone by the baddies.

Best luck and best wishes. Let us know what happens to Jo, whenever you hear. She's very lucky she had you and the other teacher to take an interest in her and to protect her.

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, if you're going to play Knight in Shining Armor, might I recommend spending some of your time exploring Brazilian Jujitsu?

Or even Capoeria, for that matter.

Doing the right thing with the best of intentions is a wonderful and heroic act. But Heaven has enough idealists - let's try to keep a couple around for a little while, neh?

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
You're not stupid. You're courageous.

And honorable - looking out for those that are weaker.

I'm glad that you have options and that you are safe and well.

Stay that way.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
To defend Jo and try to help her took a great deal of courage and strength. Don't let them take that away from you.

Eduardo, I am honored to know you, even if it is only over the Net. [Smile] Take care of yourself.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn it, you did what you did for the right reasons, because you cared.

Now don't give yourself a hard time. Take the precautions you need to, that's all.

"Oh-bla-di, oh-bla-da, life goes on" and all that,

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
You're doing great work. I wish you the best.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

I did not plan to post here until I had some news about the subject, but I think there are things worth telling:

1) Getting a Weapon: Here in Brazil it is very, very difficult to lawfully buy a weapon. We recently even aproved a new weapon legislation. It is almost impossible for a civilian to own a firearm over here. The government is even buying weapons from people who want to get rid of them. Of course, it does not prevent the drug dealers to get M16s, AK-47, AR15, Uzi and even anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapons.

2) Learning how to defend myself: don't worry, guys...I was two times Judo Champion of my State (Rio de Janeiro). Of course, it was almost 10 years ago, but I think I can still defend myself. The problem is: you don't react when some crazy guy enter your class (where there were 29 students, many of them women and elders) armed and yelling. And why not acknowledge that I was paralized with fear? So I got struck twice across my face...nice...if I tried anything, I could have been killed (or one of my students, who know)?

3) If any of you intend to come to Rio de Janeiro some day, please do. It's not a lawless city. It's preety safe over here. Of course, the "favelas" are a whole different world. As a tourist you would not want to visit them, I guess. Rio is one of the most visited cities in the world, and one of the most beautiful, too. I'm a little afraid that I'm spreading some negative images about my city. If some hatracker someday come to Rio, I'd be honored to show him/her the city.

Well...I guess that's it for the time being. Tomorrow I'll know how things proceeded.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to ask, what is a favelas?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

favelas = slums (in portuguese)
A Place where very poor people live. Here in Rio, Drug dealers dominate many of them.

[ July 25, 2004, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Eduardo_Sauron ]

resnos
Member # 6730

- posted      Profile for resnos           Edit/Delete Post 
i'm finding your job most interesting there and have some wonderings about it.

i grew up in venezuela, for 8 years at least, which i figure is relatively similar to brazil, but i didn't live in a big city or anything.

i was just wondering why you are teaching in a favela for a relief outfit or whatever. i'm doubting it is for the pay. your english is also quite good, making me wonder if you have ever gone abroad or if you learned it there.

about your story...scary stuff. you handled it most well. i salute you.

good later

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I respect Judo and believe me, I do respect it - the techniques are limited to throws and groundwork.

Jujitsu deals more with joint locks and standing restraints rather than Judo's mat pins.

As for showing restraint in class, yes - I think you made the right choice.

But I also submit, had he not opted to strike you twice and instead became more hostile, you would have been hard-pressed to attempt disarming and restraining him.

Even if you never use the knowledge, it's better to have it and not need it.

And you're right, having a weapon of your own would have simply escalated matters with innocent bystanders paying the price.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

I still do not have news about Jo or Jo's father (only at night, after I come from work), but I'd like to answer some questions:

Resnos:

"was just wondering why you are teaching in a favela for a relief outfit or whatever. i'm doubting it is for the pay. your english is also quite good, making me wonder if you have ever gone abroad or if you learned it there."

Hi, Resnos. I was a college teacher until this year's beginning. Unfortunatelly, I was fired after getting my PHD (since they would have to give me a big raise, in accord to brazilian laws). I wasn't overly worried, because I was selected to teach at Brazilian Air Force Academy, but that job would only begin some months later (last month). So, I was selected to enter the city public teaching department. The only available spot was teaching in the "favelas". I needed the money, the pay wasn't bad and I thought I could benefit from the experience so...
You should realize that, unfortunatelly, there are not many teaching jobs available over here for a Portuguese Literature PHD. Since we are entitled to a better salary, most schools do not want to hire us. Fortunatelly, there are government, military and the biggest universities. I'll get by :-)
About my english: I learnt it here in Brazil. I never went abroad, unfortunatelly. I honed my second language thanks to RPG books like D&D and english-subtitled animes [Wink]

TMedina

I like brazilian jiu-jitsu a lot. I'm a big fan of Jiu-Jitsu and "Vale-Tudo" (Mixed Martial Arts) competition (one of my favorites is american UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship). Of course it's important to know how to defend yourself. That's the reason why my mother had me training judo, when I was a child. I wish I could get back training martial arts, but I'm just too busy right now. Maybe next year, who knows?

[ July 26, 2004, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Eduardo_Sauron ]

WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, for someone with a PHD in Literature, you're really, really cool. You help people out at some risk to yourself, you play (or at least read) D&D, you watch Anime. How cool is that?
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
You're a mensch, Eduardo_Sauron. I'm really sorry it turned out that way, both for you and for her. I often wonder if I'd have the cojones to do something like that, and I know many people wouldn't-even to the point of reaching out and taking an interest in Jo's life and suffering.

You're not remotely a bastard in the moral sense (I don't know your parents, though [Wink] ). If you said you weren't worried about your own safety at all, I'd think you were kidding yourself or lying.

Of course, wielding a weapon when dealing with drug dealers is as likely-perhaps moreso-to get you killed than not. They've got more guns, more knives, more willingness to use them first, and more experience using them on people than non-military honest citizens ever will. So certainly don't go THAT route-but you wouldn't anyway.

Anyway. Like I said, you're a mensch. Keep fighting the good fight, if you can-it makes the world a better place; and I say and mean that never having been south of Miami. Thank you.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Eduardo [Hail]

Take care.

Despite the fear, everything you did seems to me to be perfectly correct.

You are too important for an idiot like Jo's father to mess up.

So, take care and keep up the good work.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Eduardo [Hail]

Take care, man.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
Eduardo-

I can not voice how much respect I have for you after what you did for Jo. It often takes an extremely brave soul to do the right thing. Whichever God you believe in, he/she is most certainly smiling on you right now.

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you are great Eduardo. I'm glad I found this.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Hi, people. Just came from work and, as I promised, here are the news I got. Not everything is alright, but I guess it could be worse.

The good news are: Jo's father is on the run. Not only from the police, but also from drug dealers. It seems they (the dealers) had some greater problems with the police this weekend because of the "incident" with the teacher (me) attacked in class. I hope the police get him first, or he'll be killed.
The bad news are: after running, he beat Jo's mother, Jo and her smaller siblings. One of them, a 1 and a half year boy was badly beaten and is in the hospital. I don't know how well (or not) he is.
Jo did not come to class today, but I was told she will return as soon as things calm down. I guess it could be worse.

Well...that's it, for now.

Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Eduardo, you're one of the world's quiet heros.
It's folks like you that keep this world spinning and hopefully moving toward a better day.

Just a shame that there aren't 6 billion more just like you.

[Hat]

Edit to add: prayers for you and that family.

[ July 26, 2004, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Sopwith ]

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.