FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New Laptop - which one to get (hatrack poll)

Author Topic: New Laptop - which one to get (hatrack poll)
Tzadik
Member # 5825

- posted      Profile for Tzadik   Email Tzadik         Edit/Delete Post 
I am thinking about getting a laptop this summer when in the US. The question is, which one. You have to understand that:

1) this would be my first laptop ever (I use one at work and love it)
2) need it for internet/email/basic office tools etc., don't need features that I never use! But is should have decent memory and should be fast enough [Smile]
3) am computer illiterate (can use them, but know close to nothing about them)

Here's the question, which one would you suggest? Where's a good place to look/buy? Online, Best buy?

thanks for help

Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
What are you looking for? Small size? Cheap? It doesn't sound like you're looking for something ultra-powerful, but do you want to be able to have a good experience watching movies on it? Do you want a long battery life, or are you going to have it plugged in most of the time?

If you're looking for a good piece of hardware, I'd reccomend an IBM or Apple laptop. Everything I've heard about both has been positive.

If you're looking for something cheaper, maybe a Dell, Gateway, or Compaq with a Centrino or Celeron processor. I think you can get a good machine from those companies for less than $1,000.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tzadik
Member # 5825

- posted      Profile for Tzadik   Email Tzadik         Edit/Delete Post 
Mostly have it plugged in anyhow, if battery lasts 2 hours, that's cool. Don't need to watch movies on it really (have a DVD player)

Am personally bit biased - I've been using Dell and love it.

And am looking into price range up to 1,200 - 1,300$ or so [Smile]

Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Tzadik--the ability to play DVDs on planes in nearly priceless [Smile]

Anyway, folks here will disagree, but I've had great success with my Gateways. My first Gateway I got in 98 as a desktop system and it's still kicking, even in the hands of my father. My laptop is fantastic--if heavy at eight or so pounds--yet can take one hell of a beating (as opposed to my Sony which busted on a short drop of two feet...I measured).

I've also heard good things about Averatec.

Anyway...you can get a damn good machine for under $1000 now. [Smile]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
*seconds Mack's sentiment about Gateway*

Every Gateway I've had has been a *good* machine. My current home computer is a slightly-home-upgraded Gateway I bought in 2001 and it's still going strong (I play Battlefield: Vietnam and UT2k4 on it with a lot of the graphics turned up).

My mom bought a Gateway in 1997 that she's still using. She does publishing stuff, so it's not like it's just an email computer. The computer has had no upgrades except a replacement graphics card.

Being able to watch DVDs wherever is certainly a tasty feature. It's almost a standard option on laptops these days.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
And I'm notoriously PHYSICALLY rough with computers. [Wink]

The Sony lasted six months. Gateways are kicking at six and two years respectively.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard's Laptop Comparo. This was my article on what a previous person asked a few months ago.

edit: Please note that I write with a certain bias that believes laptops should be small, and desktop replacements are one of the biggest wastes of money you can make.
Satyagraha

[ July 26, 2004, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Insanity Plea ]

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally swear by Dells. The only problems I've had with either of my two Dells (one a desktop, my current one a laptop) have definitely been user-caused. I mean really, I shouldn't have deleted those things. But as far as they go as machines, I much prefer them.

My father will swear by his Sony laptop, mostly because of response time with repairs. If they respond so quickly to repairs, it might just be because they've had a lot of practice doing so...

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.