FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Coming Out Of The Closet...

Author Topic: Coming Out Of The Closet...
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
Have we had a thread here about the new news that one of the Simpson's characters will soon be outed?

The rumors allude to a same-sex marriage, so my money's on Lenny and Karl, but there's a possibility that Montgomery Burns has succumbed to Smithers' charm.

Either way, I'm glad they're gonna poke a little fun at the anti-gay crowd. [Big Grin]

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
'Cause they've never done that before, right? [Big Grin]

"The steel industry's been gay since 1985."

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but this is more of a thumb-on-the-nose-and-wiggling-fingers thing. [Razz]
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
And the episode where Homer went gay wasn't? I'm not sure I understand how this is a dig at people who are against gay marriage, so much as its a dig at gay marriage and the big fuss society is making over it.

Thats something the simpsons have always done, take digs at big current issues. That sort of thing helps make the show funnier and more relavent to the viewer.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't watched The Simpsons in years, excepting of course reruns. Is it good again?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
No, but it's watchable again. I'd say it's cruising at around Season 9 quality; better than Seasons 10-13, certainly, but far from its peak.

The endless parade of guest stars playing themselves is, however, AGONIZING. I really, really, really wish they'd have the guts to shoot that horse.

(King of the Hill is still the best cartoon on Fox, and I was dismayed when THEY started getting guest stars, too. Why do people EVER think that's a good idea?)

[ July 29, 2004, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie Mayhem
Member # 6203

- posted      Profile for Annie Mayhem   Email Annie Mayhem         Edit/Delete Post 
Speculation is, naturally, running rampant!

Smithers -- too obvious.
Lenny & Carl -- also too obvious.
Moe -- Well, he's engaging in risky behaviors with *somebody*; witness his many trips to the "V.D. Clinic."
Patty and/or Selma -- wouldn't surprise anybody.
Sideshow Bob -- It's already been established that he likes showtunes, plus he's done lots of time in prison (stereotypes ahoy!).
Plenty of other characters could be "maybe's."
Flanders -- unlikely. The resulting intense inner struggle would be an angstfest.

No, if the production schedule is tight enough, and Groening wants to return "The Simpsons" to their former glory as sociocultural satire, there is only ONE choice:

>
>
>
>
>
>*drum roll*
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Ranier Wolfcastle. Why? Groening could parody all this at once:

That whole recent "girly men" thing (maybe Wolfie could pronounce himself "proud to be a girly man, yah").

Testosterone-overloaded action movie/videogame heroes.

Governor Ahnold.

Media coverage / media bias.

The whole cultural debate over gay marriage.

The double standard applied to celebrities.

AND

The unfortunate tendency to identify actors with their characters TOO MUCH. (Can't you just see Flanders forcing his kids to throw away their 'Wolfie' action figures? Especially if he catches them re-enacting the wedding with 'Wolfie' and G.I. Joe, or 'Wolfie' and Ken. Or Ken and Joe. Or whatever the equivalents are in the Simpsons universe. Poor Malibu Stacy, alone on Saturday night *again*).

Comments?

-=AM=-

Posts: 21 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
King of the Hill is still the best cartoon on Fox
I totally agree with this.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
You left out the most likely.

Itchy and Skratchy.

Once they come to terms with their socially inconvient sexual impulses, they calm down and rid themselves of their violent tendencies.

Once the marriage is over an consumated, the entire show becomes more Family Circus on downers than Tom and Jerry on uppers.

This, or course, can not be tolerated. The lesson is obvious, if "Gays" become just like "normal" people then our entire entertainment industry will collapse.

Besides, this would be the perfect "dig" at those most fanatical reactionaries who argue, "If you let Gays marry each other what is next? People marrying outside their species?" Like a Mouse and a Cat getting married.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Dan_Raven, I just spit watermelon on my screen. [ROFL]

I say Skinner. Still lives with mom, cold feet at the alter.....

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
"Wait a minute--was that cat making out with that mouse? 'Cause if they were..."
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*used to like King of the Hill* Now it annoys me, except for the episode where Johnny Depp was in it NOT playing himself...
*hearteyes* Johnny Depp *hearteyes*

Family guy, now there's a show I like a lot. I used to hate it until I downloaded it and saw how good it was.
But South Park beats all.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, South Park is still going strong. The Ninja episode was particularly good this season.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of South Park, has anybody seen the cult episode? That's gotta be one of the best ones ever.

Also, I was always under the impression that Itchy was female. I'm not sure if this has been verified, but an Itchy and Skratchy union may only be bestial and not homosexual.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
The beast of both worlds, eh?

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.