FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hillary Clinton Running in '08?

Author Topic: Hillary Clinton Running in '08?
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear that she will be, but only if Kerry loses this year. In my opinion though, she would have stood a good chance this year. I'm not really knowledgable in politics. I mostly pick up stuff from my parents. From what i've seen though, i can't see why she wouldn't make a good president.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Hillary seems a little too polarizing, but it could work.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
I have my suspicions as to whether she would make a decent president.
you want to know what I think
Hilary Clinton would not get elected president, nor is she ever going to run, and I rather doubt she ever intended to.

Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is that suntran? Care to explain?
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think she wanted to run this year since
1) I think she wants a bit more separation from Bill's presidency before she runs
2)She did not want to run against Bush

She is likely to run in '08 but she won't get elected. She might get the Dem primary, but even that is a bit shaky. Her national numbers are to bad. If a woman is going to get to the white house she has to have great poll numbers...she can't have as many people oppose her on ideology as HC does, she is simply to far to the left...and way to abrasive.

Besides, what makes her qualified? Her big thing as first lady was her health care stuff...which failed.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope not. I still don't know how much I like her going to New York to be a Senator. It's kind of like Clemons going into the Fall of Fame as a Yankee. There is something dishonest about it.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
This round she would have been no more qualified than John Edwards- I think. I mean, wasn't she just elected in 2000?

I really dislike her, so my opinion on her personality is probably irrelevant.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
This may sound harsh, but I thought the only thing she had going for her was that people felt bad for the crap Bill put her through. I've never liked her myself nor much of what she stands for. And I don't think she is particularly qualified.

Kinda reminds me of Imelda Marcos being elected president of the Philippines largely due to the sympathy held for her after her husband (previous president) died. She wasn't qualified to run a country, she had no experience. And how many shoes did she have? [Wink]

I think it would be cool to have a woman elected president. But I don't think Hillary is the one for the job.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree with that quite definitely, and it isn't just that people feel sorry for her either. Hillary Clinton appears to epitomize the modern liberal female, and that has won her much suppport, more than enough to become a New York Senator. Neither will the fact that she is slime alone stop her from getting elected president, it's quite obvious that the American people often elect slime.

"Why is that suntran? Care to explain?"

Not really and which part? Why I severely doubt that she'd make a good President is that she is most of the bad that connotates a liberal and not the good, she makes mountains of molehills and molehills of mountains, who would tend to profess to believe something and make it look like something was being done and in effect killing any real movement to get something done; she is a politico in the extreme, and she is a feminist and morally absent enough enough to talk of women's rights in modern America and full scale sexual slave trade in the same breath, and that disgusts me on a rather deep level.

As for the other part it is of course theoretical, even prophetical, but ask me again in ten years, and I'll may well tell you similar:
There will, one day, be a woman president of the United States, but the first woman president will be no weak politico, no wife of a lying bastard, no polarized liberal or conservative or feminist or greeny or yahoo. She will not be like any of these pathetic contemporary politicians. Good or Evil, you mark my words, she will be strong, and the voice of the people will be behind her. And she will have proven herself outside of mere politics and proven herself well, she will be like as George Washington, and by the time she gets there may have near as much support and power in office.
Hilary Clinton talked about running because it made her seem big, made her more of a public icon, so she easilly got more support, but she will not run because she knows she will never win, something of her knows she does not have what it takes, so why even bother to try. This isn't an issue of Hilary's feminist alley, or even of American women's lib, because the war on that front has already been won, and its stauchest supporters now are just more faces in the crowd. It's an issue of of the people's confidence, and men and women alike or otherwise the Hilarys might have a 50/50 chance, it's an issue of doing something that has never been done before, and rare(if ever?) been even attempted, not because of law or true discrimination, possibly even because of natural inclination, but whatever the reason, there will be many many who believe, on some level, that it cannot be done, and it will take a great force to prove them wrong.

[ July 29, 2004, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: suntranafs ]

Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.