FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Beautiful music (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Beautiful music
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve been listening to my state’s local streaming internet broadcast for NPR’s classical music statation (you can find the stream here). Yesterday they played Lohengrin, as I type this, I’m listening to Leo Delibes: Lakme: Flower Duet. Sometimes life is really beautiful.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
yes.... and sometimes life is really sleepy... [Sleep]

Wha/...?! Oh... music.

Yes, NPR rocks my world in more ways than one. NPR makes me smile. [Smile]
Classical makes me smile. [Smile]
Put them together and you get [Big Grin]

Whooo hooo!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh... I love Lakme.

I don't suppose you've ever heard the Vibe Tribe remix?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what REALLY beautiful... Vangelis!

They have the most glorious, epic, and haunting music out there.

Some of my favorit are: soundtrack for "Cosmos", "Blade Runner", and the best one of all time is "Conquest of Paradise" which was used for the Olypics.

Now, I'm not much of a religious person anymore, but that song makes me feel such spiritual joy I just can't describe it.

Whenever I hear that I imagine the Silmarills being presented to the Valar and the Two Trees of Light rekindled!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone here knows Loreena Mckennitt's music? She's a canadian singer (and harpist) whose voice is amazing. You can check some samples of her music at her personal site: www.quinlanroad.com.

Hope you enjoy it.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Hell yah! She rocks. I especially love her "Holy Tree" (go fig) song and "Mummers Dance".
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
The Mummer's Dance is amazing, but my favorite songs of her are "The Bonny Swans" and "The Lady of Shallott".

Which albums of her do you have/listened to, Telperion?

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit a certain fondness for Enya when I'm in a mellower frame of mind.

And yes, I have a Lorenna McKennit CD - good stuff.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

I have two and my mom has two that I steal from time to time. I think we have all of them combined.
Hobbes
Member # 433

Vivaldi's Four Seasons on CD. [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
So dreamy! [Smile]
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
MmM Lakme.
You want to hear beautiful music?
Try Yoko Kanno. She's got some songs that are possitively ethereal.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I'm a big fan of Azam Ali - former singer of Vas. She's got an album called Portals of Grace that's all medieval tunes in the original languages - Galician, Breton, Latin, Arabic... it's fabulous stuff. [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Vangelis is actually just one guy. A crazy old Greek dude, but singular nonetheless.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Dmitri Shostakovich: Jazz Suite #2: Waltz #2

Hobbes [Smile]

Rolf Singer
Member # 3972

- posted      Profile for Rolf Singer   Email Rolf Singer         Edit/Delete Post 
Barbers Adagio for Strings does it for me every time.

Or anything by John Rutter who is a 20th century choral composer. Try "Open Thou Mine Eyes" or his 23rd Psalm. The words alone for open thou mine eys are beautiful "open thou mine eyes and I shall see/incline thy heart and I shall desire/ order my steps and I shall walk/ in the ways of thy commandments". I'm not christian so to me those words have as much resonance within the bounds of a relationship as much as between a person and their god.

Also becoming a huge fan of Allison Krauss. Check out a song of hers called "That Kind of Love"....beautifully crafted, sweet, with unexpected melodic turns.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MacBeth
Member # 5670

- posted      Profile for MacBeth   Email MacBeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably not spelled right but one of her songs Bonnie Shons never fails to bring a tear to my eye and an ache in my heart...ok so maybe I can be a softie
Lorenna McKennit that is to say

[ August 02, 2004, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: MacBeth ]

Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I really love classical guitar, all by itself. Vivaldi's guitar concerto in D is the most beautiful piece of music ever written.

Unfortunately, I have a hard time finding it and the version I have I got from a flower shop and has nature noises in the background.

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Bonny Swans is the song's name, Macbeth.

And yes...it is powerfully haunting.

[ August 02, 2004, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: Eduardo_Sauron ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

The Swan (as played by Yo-Yo Ma).

Hobbes [Smile]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, do you like any songs with words in 'em? [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Not a whole lot to be honest. [Dont Know] Not that I don't like any... but for the most part, no.

Though the song I started this thread with does have words... just not English ones. [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I also have a great fondness for Lorena McKennit and Enya, although sadly, I can't stand Allison Kraus for some reason. I really wanted to after O Brother, but her music isn't really like that. There are some great spin-off cds, though (O Sister).

*takes notes*

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Guess I should have put this here
http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/t/tlc80596a.html

I really want this CD. Jenifer Hidgon is awesome.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Songs My Mother Taught Me, Op.55 No.4

Hobbes [Smile]

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I sang the Flower Duet acapella (sp?) with a friend for a music end-of-year project. It is indeed very beautiful, although we cheated and used the music...
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Child of the Mind
Member # 1740

- posted      Profile for Child of the Mind           Edit/Delete Post 
Scarlatti Sonata in A major K322.

I heard it played on guitar, and it was defintely one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard.

Classical guitar can be really great.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Try any of the Slavonic Dances of Dvorak.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Summer 03 Concerto in G minor Presto, Le Quattro Stagioni, Antonio Vivaldi.

Hobbes [Smile]

Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
The opening notes to Bill Evans' piano solo in 'Flamenco Sketches' on Miles Davis's "Kind of Blue". The most beautiful 20 seconds of music ever.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Handel's Messiah. The whole thing.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly. What digging_holes said. Also, Carl Orff's Carmina Burana.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else here find the Choral movement from Beethoven's 5th to be perversely unholy? Maybe Clockwork Orange has just ruined that piece for me...

EDIT: That, along with the Great Gates of Kiev from Mussorgsky's Pictures.

[ September 06, 2004, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Lohengrin-Prelude to Act III, Wagner.

I actually once had the privledge of preforming this in Carnigie Hall. [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Romeo and Juliet Overture Fantasia-Montagues and Capulets, Love Theme and Finale, Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky.

Hobbes [Smile]

amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Rachmaninov: Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini. Just... wow.
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
In one of those 11 CD's for a penny deals I selected "Classical Barbra". It's actually really good.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Romeo and Juliet Overture Fantasia-Montagues and Capulets, Love Theme and Finale, Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky.

I played that piece in orchestra and hated it. I think it was just because the bass part was annoying. It was all simple to the point of being boring, with the exception of like 25 measures which were near impossible.

I really like:

Bach unaccompanied cello suites, esp. when played by a bass player.

Mendelssohn Octet in E flat major

Most of the Beethoven Symphonies. Esp. Eroica.

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

*High-Fives Speed*

Bolero - Conclusion.

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Enigma Variations - Troyte (Variation No. 7)

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Requiem-Tuba mirum, Giuseppe Verdi.

Romeo and Juliet Ballet Suit - Dance of the Knights.

Carmen-Prelude, Act I (March of the Toreadors), Georges Bizet.

Hobbes [Smile]

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Hobbes, I've performed at Carnegie Hall too! [Wave]

And I love all music from Carmen, I definitely agree with that. I sang "Je dis que rien ne m'epouvante" with my voice teacher last year. It's Michaela's big aria. It was beautiful. And I've done more Bizet besides that... it's all great!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Music is great isn't it? So powerful. [Smile]

La Gioconda-Dance of the Hours, Amilcare Ponchielli.

Hobbes [Smile]

Annie
Member # 295

Who is "La Gioconda" by? That's the Italian name for the Mona Lisa. Songs about art? Very cool. Almost as cool as "Pictures at an Exhibition."
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool link in the initial post. [Cool]

Right now they're playing Robert Shumman's Spring Symphony.

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rubble
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for rubble           Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes,

I had just read this post prior to driving home work. I turned on the radio and got to hear most of Shostakovich Festive Overture. I thought, "Hobbes is so right about the ability of music to brighten our lives."

[Cool]

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Dance of the Hours (by Amilcare Ponchielli). (Warning: long mp3, my recording is only the last few minutes, the whole wongs great but it's the end that most people would recognize. And this isn't that great a rendetion but ... well still good)

quote:
the ability of music to brighten our lives
[Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

OK, so myabe it's cliche, but after recieving the complete Beehtoven Symphony collection:

Beehtoven's 9th, Allegro assai vivace alla Marcia-Ende.

Ahhhhhhh, yes.

Hobbes [Smile]

[ December 26, 2004, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

And in that spirit (or more precisley, that movement [Cool] ):

Symphonie Nr. 9 d-moll op. 125 - II. Molto vivace.

Hobbes [Smile]

the_Somalian
Member # 6688

hey Hobbes, I love that movement too! In fact, I adore that entire work. Which version of the symphonies do you have?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.