FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » LCMS National Youth Gathering

Author Topic: LCMS National Youth Gathering
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back yesterday from the LCMS (Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod) Youth Gathering in Orlando. That's 35,000 teenagers all at the Orlando Convention center--you can't imagine how many people that really is.

I've never really shown my religious side on Hatrack, but this was an incredible, incredible experience and fully worth it. So:

Interesting stuff: During the day they had Chatrooms (discussion/lecture kinda things) with some very good topics. I went to a Creation vs. Evolution chatroom and found my self, if not swayed, put in some doubt. I am currently checking facts and resources.

Fun stuff: It's not all religious. The West concourse of the convention center was devoted to the Outer Limits, a collection of carnival rides, sports areas, fun little games, and booths with free stuff (we managed to stuff 25 people in a Volkswagon beatle with the seats taken out, just short of the 27-person record). There's so much to do, you never actually manage to get to everything.

Powerful stuff: Every night there was a mass event. Some of it was stupid (the ongoing drama was cliched sci-fi mixed with religion) but a lot of it was, well, incredible. Good contemporary Christian bands--AudioAdrenaline has always been a favorite of mine--and there's nothing quite like hearing 35,000 people singing in all together.

The speakers for the mass events were pretty good too. If you ever, ever get the chance to hear Bob Lenz speak, whether or not you're religious, go for it. He's absolutely hilarious and very powerful even secularly.

All in all, good fun, especially with a good bunch of people. If you're ever with a group in a hotel full of people there just for a good time, try the name game: call out names at random and, when anyone responds, proceed to convince them you're their long lost friend from preschool. A good actor with good improv abilities can get maybe ten people in a couple hours. Met a good few people from around the country now on my Buddy List that way.

I'm looking forward to the next one in three years. I'll leave you with a Bob Lenz excert, a side joke unrelated to his main topic:

"So girls, when you're in the backseat of his car and his hands start wandering, grab them and say 'Let's pray!'"

"'O Jesus, we pray You bless this relationship. We know You are right here with us, yes, sitting right between us . . ."

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I went to a Creation vs. Evolution chatroom and found my self, if not swayed, put in some doubt.
Which way were you leaning before?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a friend who did that. She actually pulled out her scriptures and said let's read. He just looked at her like she was nuts. He didn't get the point until she said, "Really." and started reading passages. So, they started reading and she was home safe only enduring a small about of molestation.

I'm glad you had a great time. Sounds like a good time.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

Best part of the whole thing was the free, Day-Glo orange backpacks.
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I must likewise express interest in which way you were thinking before the convention [Smile] .
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Anthro! I went to a youth gathering one year, it was in New Orleans (I'm not LCMS, though, I'm ELCA - I can't remember if the gathering was ELCA only or if it was multi-denominational). Yep, you're right, there's nothing in the world like 35,000 people singing together. [Smile] Those things are awesome. I hope to go along to a few more in my life as an adult participant, as I have some interest in youth ministry (but, unfortunatly, go to a church that currently has no youth - d'oh!).

I'm glad you had such a good experience! [Big Grin]

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be a serious shame, Anthro, if you let peer pressure sway you into abandoning sense. I went to the first three Lollapaloozas and, despite all the marketing, didn't get a tattoo, a piercing, OR a Green Party bumper sticker at any of 'em.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes] @ Tom.

You'd go a long way back to civility if you rethought the above post, Tom.

[ July 30, 2004, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

Hmmm. I wasn't entireley swayed from evolution, only put into doubt. And now I've done my research, I'm pure evolutionist again. So that didn't last.

Peer pressure, Tom? As in?

Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
when i had my National Gathering it was in New Orleans. that was just badass. go ELCA go.

that is all...

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Was I uncivil, Scott? If so, how?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom: You seem equate any spiritual experience with brainwashing, peer pressure, delusions, or general craziness. While I don't doubt that such a point of view can be expressed and discussed civilly, this was not the thread in which to do it.

Example: I'm a new dad. My baby is the most beautiful baby on earth. Everyone tells me so-- and then along comes Honest Janet, with the news that my darling child is in fact, heinous.

No matter how wittily she phrases it, she's NOT clever, she's NOT caring, and she's NOT being civil.

quote:
It would be a serious shame, Anthro, if you let peer pressure sway you into abandoning sense

In what society can this comment, even taken in context with generous dollop of benefit-of-the-doubtedness be considered civil?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Let's be fair now. If Anthro was talking about a truly spiritual experience where he felt touched by God, then yes, Tom's comment would be a little out of place.

But Anthro merely said he gained a new perspective in a chatroom. This new insight did not even rank above the Day-Glo orange backpacks as the most important thing he experienced at the conference.

Having said that, I think it is great that Anthro is open-minded enough to constantly challenge his own beliefs. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Scott, I'm not questioning the validity of Anthro's overall experience; I'm sure he had fun. It would, however, be a shame if he started relying on carnivals, concerts, and assorted festivals for his scientific education.

In the same way that no one should leave Lollapalooza with a whole new outlook on politics, no one should attend a religious festival in order to learn biology.

It sounds to me, though, that he's handled this perfectly well: he left, recognized that some of his beliefs had been challenged in ways he couldn't answer, and then found answers to them. I'm rather impressed.

[ August 01, 2004, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.