FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Two roads diverged in a wood,

Author Topic: Two roads diverged in a wood,
captainmoriar
Member # 6416

- posted      Profile for captainmoriar   Email captainmoriar         Edit/Delete Post 
And so after many months away (and after posting only a few times, I am sure noone remembers me) I return to a great forum seeking a more permenant residence this time, and your thoughts on a matter (the following maybe written poorly as I am trying to write out my thoughts, please forgive me):

So I have about two weeks before I head back to school. I have turned down relationships with various girls before because I had no feelings for them and honestly I didn't feel like wasting my time just to "get some". Now I have been hanging out with a girl, she shall be called Sue in this post. Sue is going back to school as well. The trouble is that we will be about 4+ hours away from each other.

And be one traveller, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

so do I take the easy path of friends and most likely regret not going for the hard path?

OR

do I move in the deeper relationship/love/girlfriend direction?

any advice at all is welcome.

and I -
I took the road less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
don't make the mistake of thinking a long term friendship excludes you from ever having a romantic relationship. However, a failed romance almost, but not quite, always excludes a long term friendship.

Weigh the risks and choose what is most likely to get you where you want to be...

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have turned down relationships with various girls before because I had no feelings for them
I'm assuming you do have feelings for Sue, however? Do you know how Sue feels about you? [Smile]

Seriously, in a situation like that, your best option is to talk to her, discuss the difficulties and how you might overcome them, and see where you go from there. If you're not at the stage where you can talk to her about it, maybe you should consider remaining friends, perhaps taking her on a date every now and then when you have the chance, and getting to know her a bit better. Starting a new relationship and having it be long distance right away isn't usually the easiest option. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, though, just think about it carefully. [Smile]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
cap'n,

diverged?

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captainmoriar
Member # 6416

- posted      Profile for captainmoriar   Email captainmoriar         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the thoughts guys.

quote:
I'm assuming you do have feelings for Sue, however? Do you know how Sue feels about you? [Smile]
Yes. And no, hence the dilemma.

fallow,

My little weaving of The Road Not Taken - Robert Frost.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
captain, speaking for all the teenage boys who would have killed to have girls chasing after them, please die.

(Just kidding. Obviously, I don't know what that's like. [Wink] )

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

Cap'n

Addressing me is one thing. I'll not quibble on your other uses of my dress save to say that you are an inquerulous scoundrel.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

stormy,

coat-tails are for tidy TD's not for Saxonites.

fallow

fallow
Member # 6268

Cap'n

Addressing me is one thing. I'll not quibble on your other uses of my dress save to say that you are an inquerulous scoundrel.

fallow

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
In the almost immortal words of Custer,

"We got Sue-d."

Seriously - Jim's got the best advice thus far. Fail a romantic relationship and a friendship is really tough after that. Some guys (and girls) say they can do it - but having it actually succeed is another matter entirely.

Good luck.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

"Just cuz there's a goalie doesn't mean you can't score?"

[Confused]

fallow

Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Long. Distance. Relationships. Suck. Your. Big. Toe.

*grits teeth*

[Mad]

That's all I have to say.

If there is not a clear, set end to when long distance becomes no distance, then don't jump into it. *Especially* when you'll both be off in new situations.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Captainmoriar, I am about to attempt a continuation of a relationship from 5000+ miles away... my advice is stay with Sue, if your heart tells you that is what you want to do! I don't think distance should be a determining factor in breaking up. That would be a shame.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Kasie's point is well made - trying to maintain a long-distance relationship without some form of committment or an agreed-upon ending point for the distance can strain even the best of people.

And while I have known some to make it work, I've known just as many who couldn't.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captainmoriar
Member # 6416

Yet more to contemplate [Smile]

I've pretty much decided I'm gonna be winging it, see how these next weeks go and we shall see...

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Long distances relationships can work. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really mean this as advice, but I just wanted to say that I'd say in this situation, walking away from the romantic aspects of the relationship is the path less taken. The path more taken is to leave for college, filled with an ardent, burning zeal for the other person that lasts for about 3 months.

Ok, well, here's the advice. You're in college. If it's meant to be, then it'll still be there next summer when you see the girl again. If not, you're sure to find something at college that is at least as good, if you go there willing to see it. I'd say part friends, and, if you really give the college girlies your best shot and Sue still stays on your mind, then it's real. The problem that I think a lot of people get themselves into is that they try to protect the relationship by fencing it off. If you have to do that in order to keep it, then I don't think it's worth it.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
The line is,

"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood"

Sorry, but that omission was bugging me.

[ August 02, 2004, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captainmoriar
Member # 6416

Scott,
Yes sorry about that [Smile] I don't really know why I left it out.

Hobbes,
Thanks for the support [Smile]

MrSquicky,
Thanks for the advice.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.