FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bartenders in fiction

Author Topic: Bartenders in fiction
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, as mentioned in another thread I've been on a mystery series jag for the last few months.
I've also been thinking of what to write for this year's NaNoWriMo novel, and I'm thinking "mystery."

My thoughts so far are leading me towards writing about a bartender drawn into intrique. The fact that I don't drink will make it a bit trickier, but hey...

What I'm curious about is this: what books have already featured bartenders? Particularly mysteries?

I've been a science fiction fan all my life and I'm a fan of Callahan's, and Niven's Long Spoon Bar stories, and Clarke's White Hart, etc, but my wealth of knowledge about mainstream fiction and mysteries remains slim. Help?

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm familiar with the same bartenders in literature as you, apparently.

But there is Whoopie's Character in Next Gen....

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Some quick clarification... I'm wondering about bartenders as protagonists. There are a zillion stories and novels that contain bartenders as minor or even major characters. I'm looking for stories told from the bartender's viewpoint. There's quite a few mystery-solving chefs and caterers (such as Diane Mott Davidson's Goldy Bear), are there any bartenders?

Mainly I want to make sure that I don't inadvertently make a carbon copy of an existing character or use themes that have been overdone.

[ August 02, 2004, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
This is of no hlep of CB, but I would just like to point out that the greatest Star Trek bartender is clearly Quark, not Guinan. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Popping in to agree with Beren.

I'd say that the problem with having a bartender protagonist is that they are only privy to the information provided by frequents to their bar. It would be pretty convenient if every bit of info they needed came in the form of a person with too much to drink.

That said, it seems like the kind of problem that would allow a really great story to come out, if you were able to work around it.

[ August 02, 2004, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Its not really a mystery, but "Callahan's Bar" by Spider Robinson and its sequels are bartender heavy.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I just have to say, Chris, that I can't think of ANY bartender mysteries -- but I think it's an absolutely brilliant idea, and wish I'd thought of it first.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
policyvote
Member # 3044

- posted      Profile for policyvote   Email policyvote         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd try to avoid the "Hey, Mac, what'll it be?" type of listening-ear bartender thing. Try a female 'tender, for starters.

Peace
policy

Posts: 341 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd suggest that if you want to create a bartender-protagonist and you want to avoid similarities to other possible bartender-protagonists, your best bet it to not ask about them at all. You'd be far better to get to know (or know about) real bartenders and build your character from there. If you "check the field" (so to speak) for existing bartender-protagonists before you write you are much more likely to have similarities creep in than if you knew nothing about them.

(my 2 cents)

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

KarlEd: I already know what qualities my bartender will have, and a large part of his history. At this stage in my notes he's in his 20's. Both parents alive, had an okay childhood, ran with a gang for a brief time in his teens. Got pulled out by an authority figure he trusted. He has a powerful protective streak and tends to look out for his regulars, which gives me a large pool of different people with different backgrounds I can make part of his extended family. He'll have friends, siblings, and coworkers that can help make up for the fact he'll have no unusual detective abilities, comprehensive artillery collections, or uncanny martial arts powers. I was inspired by Janet Evanonvich's character who became a bounty hunter without any previous experience or fighting skills. How would an ordinary guy handle an unsolvable crime?

I just don't want to get halfway through and have someone go, "Oh, a bartender that solves mysteries, that's like Jim T. Author's "Weisenheimer" series."

[ August 02, 2004, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the secret is to combine the lead of the bartender with a group of usual's who hang out at the bar.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
And don't forget the entirety of "Cheers."

I'll bet a bartender could tell a lot of good stories. Maybe you've just found your niche, Chris. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, now that you mention it, I think I AM familiar with Mr. Author's Weisenheimer books.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember which one it was, but one of the Chandler stories we read in my crime fiction class had a bartender in it... I think it was "Trouble is my Business," which actually turned out to be the Chandler story I liked least, but that's how it goes.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember any novels, but I've seen a couple of SF short stories that involve bartenders. One that comes to mind is "All you zombies..." by Robert Heinlein. Someone--Asimov, I think, or maybe Heinlein--wrote a murder mystery that took place at a bar or nightclub. I can't remember the name.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Just found out about Kat Colorado, a character by Karen Kijewski. She's a private eye that used to be a bartender. Not close to anything I've planned.

Heinlein and Asimov have both featured stories in bars. Heinlein also wrote "They Do It With Mirrors" which takes place in a nightclub, and Asimov found the bar to be the perfect place to commit some horrible puns. I also seem to remember an Asimov story that featured tiny pink elephants...

Edited to add: The pink elephants might have been from Clarke's White Hart collection, I'll have to check when I get home.

[ August 02, 2004, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
"They do it with mirrors." That's the one I was thinking of!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the most distinctive bartender I recall didn't have any lines. It was the guy in "As Good as it Gets". "No offense, but a moron pushing the last legal drug". Gotta love that face.

Why can't bartenders get life insurance? Is it just a statistical fluke, the occupational inverse of an orchestra conductor, or are they more likely to get killed by drunk customers?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

CT: This, I need to hear more about. [Big Grin] Would you mind writing me with more info? My e-mail's in my profile.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Checking mail. Nope.

La dee da.

Checking mail. Nope.

Tum de tum.

Checking mail...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.