FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fred Phelp's Birthday

Author Topic: Fred Phelp's Birthday
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
This is something interesting I read on Cureignorance.com.

I thik that whatever our individual views on homosexuality are, we can all agree that Westover Baptist Church (Godhatesfags.com) is going about things the wrong way.

quote:
Fred Phelps, the pastor of Westboro Baptist Church and author of GodHatesFags.COM has been persecuting homosexuals and AIDS victims for decades. With his banners of hate such as "GOD HATES FAGS" and "AIDS CURES FAGS" he has organized over 22,000 picketing demonstrations. He has become infamous for picketing the funerals of murdered homosexuals and AIDS related illness victims, including the funeral of Matthew Sheppard, the homosexual who was murdered in 1988. Pretty sick huh?

Well, what can we do about this? Write him hate mail? Get signs that say "God Hates Fred Phelps" and picket his pickets? Maybe gay men everywhere can get together and dance on the graves of his family members? NO! You don't fight hate with hate. There is enough hate in the world. You fight hate with love. This is my plan to do just that...

Fred Phelps will be 75 on November, 13th 2004. I encourage all gays and lesbians to write him a kind birthday card. Tell him that you are gay but love him anyways. Tell him that the hate is not returned. That there is no "war against homosexuality," but just one sided persecution. That you wish him the best in expressing himself, and that gays everywhere will continue to express themselves in any way they wish. I am a straight male, but I will be sending my card with my message and wishing him a happy hate-free birthday. I recommend others join me in fighting hate with love. Pass this on to your friends. I would like to see Mr. Phelps with a mailbox FULL of birthday cards.

Below is his address:

Fred Phelps
Westboro Baptist Church
3701 W. 12th Street
Topeka, KS 66604-2553

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely hate the fact that this guy is from Kansas. He is like an albatross around the next of all Kansans... we have to hear repercussions of all his intolerant stuff in every media report, and hang our head in shame that such a person is of our state...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, I feel that way about Cynthia McKinney. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I absolutely hate the fact that this guy is from Kansas."

Wouldn't it be easier to move out of Kansas? Because, y'know....Well, I won't say it. But between Phelps and your school boards.... [Wink] j/k

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Aww. That is so sweet! I want to do that!
I wonder how he'll react.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you kidding? He lives for the attention.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] funny, Tom!

And you know yesterday, another ultra-conservative won in the primary over a moderate for the state school board position. So I suppose that means we are heading for that particular roller-coaster once again...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It boggles my mind that a Christian pastor could say that God hates anybody. Saying He hates sin -- I have no problem. But to say that He hates His children? Sickening.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
okay, I find that amusing.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally wouldn't want Phelps to know my address.

Much better to just have lesbians make out in front of his protesters. Drives 'em off like nobody's business.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm bumping this up because we've had a visit from this group to our area.

A soldier from Pocahontas, Iowa, was killed in November and Phelps' group picketed the funeral. Another soldier was killed last week (this one was from Lehigh, Iowa) and I wouldn't be surprised if the group will harrass the mourners at that funeral, too.

The group has announced plans to picket at the memorial service for the miners killed in West Virgina.

Wikipedia article

They make Pat Robertson look rational.

(edited to remove an extra word)

[ January 12, 2006, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: CaySedai ]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think for his birthday we should make donations to charities that fund drugs and research for AIDS victims or something. In his name. So, you know, he gets, like, 3,000 cards saying "a donation has been made in your name..."
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be even funnier if donations were given to groups that support gay rights. Although...some people might not support those groups, while I think nearly all of us can agree that AIDS research = good.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That's why I chose those organizations. Something we can all agree is a good cause. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I might do this, except for the simple fact that I do hate Fred Phelps. I despise him and pretty much all that he stands for. God may love him, but I don't in any way that doesn't completely bastardize the meaning of the word "love".

Perhaps that makes me a hateful person, but sending him a birthday card saying how much I love him anyway would also make me a hypocrite and a liar. I can accept my capacity to hate, especially things that are worthy of hatred. I don't see the value in adding hypocrisy and lies to the mix.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I think for his birthday we should make donations to charities that fund drugs and research for AIDS victims or something. In his name. So, you know, he gets, like, 3,000 cards saying "a donation has been made in your name..."

Now that is something I could do. [Big Grin] Good call, KQ.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
The group has announced plans to picket at the memorial service for the miners killed in West Virgina.
Whatever for? Was one of the miners gay?
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure. Here's their "press release" on the subject.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Can you post the pertinent facts? I think godhatesfags.com is blocked by my firewall. I know we have a company policy against visiting hate-sites.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Basically, their philosophy boils down to everything outside of their group is evil and fag-loving (their term). Anything that promotes anything outside the Westboro Baptist Church is evil and fag-loving (ie donations to any church other than the WBC).

Anything bad that happens is a result of God's wrath against anything that is not WBC. Anything bad that happens to WBC is a conspiracy against WBC. Anyone that dies is a judgment by God.
They pray for disasters to happen to others.

Some of their websites are godhatesfags.com, gothatesamerica.com, smellthebrimstone.com and godhatessweden.com.

I think they should stay in their compound in Kansas and never come out so they can stay "untainted" from the world. They need to grow their own food and make their own clothes from scratch. After all, a "fag" might work at a grocery store or have something to do with making or selling the clothes the WBC members wear. They should never drive a car, because a "fag" might have been on the assembly line or a "fag" might have worked at the refinery where the gas came from or at the gas station. And, we all know that "fags" go on the Internet, so they need to stay away from the Internet, too.

I like kq's suggestion. But, I agree with Noemon's statement: "I personally wouldn't want Phelps to know my address."

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
godhatessweden.com
Why does God hate Sweden? What's so evil about Scandinavia?
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Um, have you never sent mail without putting a return address on it? Really? It's not required. [Smile]

Sweden legalized same-sex marriage, I believe, is what's behind that one.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Well, here's their press release:

quote:
Judgment in West Virginia! Thank God for His Outpoured Wrath and for 12 Dead Miners. Friday, January 6, 2006

WBC to picket their Memorial Service - at 2 p.m., Sunday, Jan. 15, at Wesley Chapel, West Virginia Wesleyan College, Camden Ave. & Meade St., Buckhannon, WV - in religious protest & warning: "God is not mocked!" God Hates Fags! & Fag-Enablers! Ergo, God hates the Sago Miners and is tormenting them in Hell, hypocritical Tallmansville village, and West Virginia.

"MANY EVILS AND TROUBLES SHALL BEFALL THEM" "Then my anger shall be kindled against them in that day, and I will forsake them, and I will hide my face from them, and they shall be devoured, and many evils and troubles shall befall them; so that they will say in that day, Are not these evils come upon us, because our God is not among us?

"And I will surely hide my face in that day for all the evils which they shall have wrought, in that they are turned unto other gods." Deut. 31:17 and 18.

Behold the heathen! Idolatrous caterwauling necromancers at a "candlelight vigil" (whatever the heck that is!) in a sodomite whorehouse masquerading as Sago Baptist Church! 1 Jn. 5:21.

They worship dunghill fag gods on "Brokeback Mountain," and their holy book is "The Da Vinci Code' - not the King James Bible. God mocked them with a lightning bolt, agonizing deaths, false reports of life leading to fools gold jubilation followed by hopeless despair. "meet you on the other side" eh? Yes, you all will meet again - in Hell!

No mention of gay miners. Phelps probably hates West Virginia in general. My guess is Phelps just protests wherever he could get the most publicity.

[ January 12, 2006, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
That was a wonderful post, Porter.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
Um, have you never sent mail without putting a return address on it? Really? It's not required. [Smile]

I didn't remember this thread, and was reading along thinking that it was new until I came to my post (I'd wondered why somebody was posting an article from 2004, but I figured that Phelp's birthday would be the same in '06 as it was in '04, and dismissed it. Observant me, not checking the post dates, eh?)

In any case, when I saw my post the first thing I thought (after thinking hey, that's me! This thread is *old*!) was "why would you put your return address on the envelope?". I completely agree with me that I wouldn't want Phelps to know my address, but you're right, ELJay, that sending him a card wouldn't have to mean sending him my contact information.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, this thread wasn't new?

>_<

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That press release. . .

Just friggin. . . I'm speechless.

Demonic possession may be more prevalent and harmful than I previously believed.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
*giggle*

My initial thought was also "why would anyone post an article from 2004, and after his birthday was over?" My second thought was to check the post dates. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] That was my first thought. My second thought was apparently "la la la" as I merrily contiued reading.
Scott R
Member # 567

I have one more thing to say:

I want to be an "Idolatrous caterwauling necromancer."

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
I absolutely hate the fact that this guy is from Kansas. He is like an albatross around the next of all Kansans... we have to hear repercussions of all his intolerant stuff in every media report, and hang our head in shame that such a person is of our state...

Farmgirl

I can sympathize with this seeing as I'm a Texan; it isn't so much an albatross hanging around our neck as a T-Rex. I held out for as long as I could that his site was a joke (albeit in poor taste). I'm somewhat disappointed in humanity that it isn't.
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
I have one more thing to say:

I want to be an "Idolatrous caterwauling necromancer."

Well, the caterwauling is pretty fun, but the idolatry and necromancing is overrated. YMMV.
Scott R
Member # 567

:ignores Karl:

Clatu barrata nicto!

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
think for his birthday we should make donations to charities that fund drugs and research for AIDS victims or something. In his name. So, you know, he gets, like, 3,000 cards saying "a donation has been made in your name..."
I'd do that. I'd post the idea to other boards, too.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

- posted      Profile for Descolada Survivor   Email Descolada Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
My high school recently put on the play "the laramie project which i was part of and thats how i got to leanr about Fred Phelps-shudder-
that guy is a bigitory asshole who hates everbody. i dont like him and i totally disaggree with his views on gays, blacks, and al other races.
he preaches about how everyone has sinned but i think his sermins and protests are huge sins in and of themselves.

Posts: 110 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

- posted      Profile for Descolada Survivor   Email Descolada Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
My high school recently put on the play "the laramie project which i was part of and thats how i got to leanr about Fred Phelps-shudder-
that guy is a bigitory asshole who hates everbody. i dont like him and i totally disaggree with his views on gays, blacks, and al other races.
he preaches about how everyone has sinned but i think his sermins and protests are huge sins in and of themselves.
Sorry if i offend anyone with my words but thats my opinnion of him
-Descoloda

Posts: 110 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
Wait, this thread wasn't new?

>_<

I think CaySedai deserves a hand for looking up an old thread and posting in it instead of starting a new one. Too often posters fail to do this and start a bunch of new threads without making an effort to revive older ones. I know, because I start duplicate threads all the time. [Wink]
DavidR
Member # 7473

- posted      Profile for DavidR   Email DavidR         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard recently that there is a movement in Illinois to pass a law which will prohibit any kind of demonstration within a certain distance, I think 300 ft., of a memorial or funeral service from 30 minutes before to 30 minutes after said service. I saw it on a television news broadcast so I don't have a link with details, but I wonder if other states are considering similar laws. I think that they are calling it something like the "Let Them Rest In Peace" law.

If I can find a link with details I will come back and post it.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidR
Member # 7473

- posted      Profile for DavidR   Email DavidR         Edit/Delete Post 
Linky
Posts: 148 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
From CaySedais earlier post....
quote:
gothatesamerica.com
Got hates, America?

Goth ates America!

And Descolada Survivor, this has to be the longest, and oddest, play title I've ever seen:
quote:
he preaches about how everyone has sinned but i think his sermins and protests are huge sins in and of themselves."

::end quotation mark mine::
Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe every time Phelps denounces a group, we can send them donations in his name. He denounces the Sago Baptist Church? We send them money and send him a notice. He pickets at a soldier's funeral? We send the family flowers and let him know.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

sorry, it's godhatesamerica.com.
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry CaySedai, I didnt mean to pick [Smile] . I was actually hoping that it would be a funny link, but nothing pops up when you enter it. [Frown]
Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

'sokay. [Wink]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.