FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Virus Emails (look in here, especially if you know me and Leto!)

Author Topic: Virus Emails (look in here, especially if you know me and Leto!)
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I know many of you don't visit GreNME very often, so I thought I would repost this here. Someone who knows both John and I (this has been verified by the IP address of the email's sender) has been infected with the MyDoom.M virus and is repeatedly sending us virus emails. Twinky has also gotten one, but we're not sure if it was from the same person. The infected computer's IP address resolves to a domain in Florida, but that may or may not be conclusive. In any case, if you have ever sent both me (and mike@sakeriver.com) and John (at a grenme.com address) an email, please check your computer for this virus. If you are using virus scanning software to do this check, make sure your virus definitions are up to date. If you want to try finding it manually, you can find information here. The removal tool can be found here.

[ August 06, 2004, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 97% sure it wasn't me, but it would probably be easier for everyone if you could give us a time this happened. I know when my computer was, and was not on so if it happened durring the later...

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that they actually had to have recently purposefully SENT you an e-mail even, Saxon75 -- maybe they just had your addresses in their e-mail address book. Doesn't this virus just pull addresses from their local address book and replicate itself out to them?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure whether this particular virus looks through the address book or the recently sent mail or what, but it makes a certain amount of sense that the people who would have my email address on their computers would be those who have ever sent me an email (whether recently or otherwise).

Hobbes, looking through my trash folder, I see virus emails with the following dates and times:

7/26 14:10
8/1 19:21
8/2 9:04, 11:43, 12:10
8/3 7:52, 9:46
8/4 00:15, 15:59, 22:44, 22:55
8/6 7:57

There may be others, but I think I switched to the new host on or around 7/26, so those would have gone to a different webmail server. Plus some may already have been purged from my trash. All of the times listed are shown as -0400, which I assume is GMT -4 hours.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

yeah - according to that info link you posted, in fact, it says that this virus does "large scale e-mailing" which it then goes on to define as:
quote:
Large scale e-mailing

This type of payload involves sending emails to large numbers of people. This is usually done by accessing a local address book and sending emails to a certain number of people within that particular address book

So I would be looking for someone that maybe has you both in their e-mail address book. (I don't)

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Well then it certainly wasn't me. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

but not that EXCLUSIVELY -- like Saxon said...

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_127033.htm

quote:
Email addresses are harvested from the following file types on the victim machine:

DOC
TXT
HTM
HTML
The virus queries four search engines to harvest addresses from the results returned from such queries :

http://search.lycos.com
http://www.altavista.com
http://search.yahoo.com
http://www.google.com

The virus will also harvest email addresses from any Outlook window that is active on the victim machine.

and
quote:
Do not assume that the sender address is an indication that the sender is infected. Additionally you may receive alert messages from a mail server that you are infected, which may not be the case.

The From: address may be spoofed with a harvested email address. Additionally, it may be constructed so as to appear as a bounce, using the following addresses:

Of course, I know that Saxon already knows this -- I'm putting this out for others to be aware. Since he's tracing it by IP -- he knows what he is doing.....
FG

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.