FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Want to try something new? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Want to try something new?
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I remember Bonduca
Vera, I officialy have no idea what/who you're talking about... So that cannot really help me in determining your time of appearance here at Hatrack, can it ? (just teasing [Wink] )

Edit: Oh no, new page...

[ August 07, 2004, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Corwin ]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vera
Member # 2094

- posted      Profile for Vera   Email Vera         Edit/Delete Post 
Quakers are pretty cool! The American Friend's Service committee is the First organization to ever win the nobel peace prize. They are often the first organization let in to war torn areas. They seem to have a pretty strong belief in peace and non-violence. Many of them were consciencious objectors WAY before that became cool. Many Quakers were also active abolitionists.

I think Liberal Quakers and Orthodox Quakers are pretty different. My best friend is a Liberal Quaker/Wiccan. Her family is Quaker and that's how she was raised, and although she is now Wiccan she still attends Quaker meeting and they don't have a problem with that. Liberal Quakers are kind of similar to UU in that you can kind of believe whatever you want, but their meetings are very different. I think Orthodox Quakers are more strictly Christian.

Posts: 96 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. Specifically, I did not know about the difference in Liberal and Orthodox. I guess living peacefully is a pretty strong part of their value system?
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vera
Member # 2094

Corwin...er, no, I guess that wouldn't help much then. [Wink]

But I'm sure some of the really old oldbies remember her.

sarcasticmuppet: I never played mafia, so I'm not sure what you mean. Did Bonduca originate the mafia trend here?

Posts: 96 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
It bothers me that Scientology ranks higher on my list than other religions I respect.

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
2. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (94%)
3. Liberal Quakers (93%)
4. New Thought (88%)
5. Reform Judaism (88%)
6. Scientology (84%)
7. Neo-Pagan (83%)
8. New Age (81%)
9. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (80%)
10. Secular Humanism (80%)
11. Mahayana Buddhism (77%)
12. Taoism (72%)
13. Bahá'í Faith (70%)
14. Nontheist (69%)
15. Sikhism (67%)
16. Theravada Buddhism (62%)
17. Orthodox Judaism (59%)
18. Islam (52%)
19. Orthodox Quaker (49%)
20. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (43%)
21. Hinduism (38%)
22. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (35%)
23. Jainism (27%)
24. Eastern Orthodox (24%)
25. Roman Catholic (24%)
26. Seventh Day Adventist (19%)
27. Jehovah's Witness (10%)

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vera
Member # 2094

Beverly, here is what Belifnet has to say about Orthodox Quakers vs Liberal Quakers

It seems that living peacefully and working for social justice causes is fundamental to both.

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. It is cool that this site gives a brief description on each belief system. I would enjoy reading them all. Quakers seem pretty darn cool.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.