FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Audioscrobbler

Author Topic: Audioscrobbler
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Here
quote:
Audioscrobbler builds a profile of your musical taste using a plugin for your media player (Winamp, iTunes, XMMS etc..). Plugins send the name of every song you play to the Audioscrobbler server, which updates your musical profile with the new song. Every person with a plugin has their own page on this site which shows their listening statistics. The system automatically matches you to people with a similar music taste, and generates personalised recommendations.
I found this the other day on a forum I lurk at, and I thought the musically inclined people of Hatrack might be interested in it.

The site's pretty informative so I won't expand on it a lot.

Here's mine.

[ August 07, 2004, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure.... for some reason, it feels creepy to me. [Smile]

I know I already have tons of cookies in my computer gathering data about me as I sleep, but this is just too much...

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

Well, I was a bit nervous as well, but after using it, I feel pretty safe. Also, from the FAQ, if you're worried:
quote:
Wait a minute... Isn't this Spyware?

No. The plugins do only what you'd expect; send your listening data to the Audioscrobbler server. They don't harvest any other information from your computer or secretly install rubbish like Gator or Bonzi Buddy. If you're really worried you can grab the latest source code from our Sourceforge project page and compile a plugin yourself [Smile]

---

How is my privacy protected?

We do not display email addresses, so no-one can link your username to your email address or harvest your address for spamming
Plugins do not send the filename or filetype, so we cannot tell whether your music is from an original CD or an MP3 file (we don't want to know)
We rotate our webserver logs frequently and destroy them after extracting anonymous statistics
Our protocol and plugins are open source, and spyware free.

The installation was remarkably fast as well (no viruses, I checked that out with AVG and Norton).

Also, just so you know, during their peak hours, there can be 5-10, sometimes even 15, minutes of lag. It catches up eventually, though.

[ August 07, 2004, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, thanks Da_Goat. [Smile]

Now the only thing I have to worry about is revealing my love of Britney Spears to the world.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
The world doesn't care...unless you've built a love shrine to her, stalked her and been caught breaking into her house. Then footage of you will end up on Inside Edition, eXtra and MTV News.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting mine right now.

Tsc...such a geek... [Frown]

Already here .

[ August 07, 2004, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: Eduardo_Sauron ]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

It's okay, Eduardo. We all are.

Anyway, in case this gets anymore attention, I made a Hatracker group.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm tempted to install it, just to put a two-second song with an id3 tag of "Macarena" on repeat infinitely.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
*le bump*

more people need to join up. please? e_e <-- puppy dog eyes.

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I just applied for membership. Here's mine. Me
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
does anyone know what the symbols by someone's name means, like if they have a tilde (~), or a plus sign (+) ?
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

- posted      Profile for SoberTillNoon   Email SoberTillNoon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it has to do with the number of songs you have listened to. I could be wrong, though it only seems logical.

EDIT: I said "though" too many times.

[ August 11, 2004, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: SoberTillNoon ]

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Derrel, I have to say that your music tastes are...ecletic. [Wink]
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, he manages great diversity, especailly for only haveing 14 different songs listed.
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Marek, it's more like 130. Look again.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Stupid no allowing spaces in names. GRRR.

Anyways

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Still 0, Primal. But I'm sure it's gonna change. [Wink]
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Let me into the group! I'm cool, really!

Look, I've got a big-wheel too!

SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

- posted      Profile for SoberTillNoon   Email SoberTillNoon         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. I don't think he is cool enough....
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

For you kiwis. Yes, I am awesome enough to listen to Goodshirt.
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

mmmmmm...kiwis

I have no idea what you said.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Duh, you're talking about kiwi fruit, not kiwis. Sheesh.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Great. I figured out why none of the songs were being listed. I have a habit of removing id3 tags. So, consequently, none of the songs were showing up on Audioscrobbler. I am now letting Winamp have it's way with my mp3s and automatically add id3 tags for all the songs.

Yay.

SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

either way... I still don't know what you said. Did you call me a kiwi?
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

If you were a kiwi, then you'd know what I'm talking about, now, wouldn't you?
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

It's starting to sound like a dialog from Tarantino movies... [Smile]
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Did you watch them in English?
Anti-Christ
Member # 5714

- posted      Profile for Anti-Christ           Edit/Delete Post 
PC- That is a pretty awesome mix you've got goin, there. =)

The D.

Posts: 125 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

PC - If you were talking about Tarantino movies, yes...they were all subtitled, but I can understand spoken english well.

Oh, yeah...and nice mix!

Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting tastes folks have. Signed up, listening to music right now. It will be interesting to see what it generates.

Oh yeah, haven't been here for a while.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

So is Silage a local band, or just a not-well known band? I've never heard of them before.

Also, who's "Schotthep"?

[ August 11, 2004, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

Also, just as a note, their server's getting slammed right now, as you can see from the charts (over 80,000 songs in the queue). It's about a four hour lag for me. [Smile]
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Silage is a relatively unknown Christian band. They had the problem of being gimmicky, but had some great songs. My personal fav is their dripping with sarcasm version of "Be True to Your School." It's hilarious.

[ August 11, 2004, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Primal Curve ]

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

I've noticed the delay.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Geez, I have really different musical tastes than you whipper-snappers.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

The site seems to be down. Curses.
Anti-Christ
Member # 5714

It's back up, for me.

The D.

Posts: 125 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Same here. I just couldn't check my stats most of the night.
Anti-Christ
Member # 5714

Yeah, I lost about 3 hrs worth of songs, there, in addition to access to the site. It skips from 06:29:07 GMT August 12, 2004 to 09:12:52 GMT August 12, 2004 in my recent tracks. *shrugs*

The D.

Speed 2: Cruise Control
Member # 6765

- posted      Profile for Speed 2: Cruise Control   Email Speed 2: Cruise Control         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I joined. My user name is Rimmer2112, and I'm here.

I don't have much data yet, but I'm working on it.

Posts: 127 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Scotthep (DSH was taken)

I'm your local neighborhood lurker. [Smile]

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.