FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pizza! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pizza!
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
How come when they make pizza in restaurants it always comes out so good -- as opposed to when you make it at home?

What cheeses should I use? What techniques?

Thanks!

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
The Pizza made in my home usually is better than the ones I buy in restaurants.

But the secret is: the oven.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Take 1 cup of warm (not hot!) water, put in a tablespoon of yeast and a teaspoon of sugar and let it sit for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile take 3 cups flour, 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon of salt and mix it together. Then pour in the (10 minute sat) water concotion and mix until mostly saturated, then kneed it, adding flour and water to create a moist dough that doesn't stick you.

It's the dough that makes the difference.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
the difference is the cheese.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Eduardo. It's all about the oven. Get your oven as hot as you can, like 500. If you have a pizza stone, that helps, too.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
It really is the oven.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. My italian forefathers (if I had any) are pleased. [Wink]
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Much experimenting in Greece led us to believe firmly in a good crust first, then the cheese, then the oven.

Man alive, we had some bad pizza trying to figure that out... ::shudders::

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Mack,
Have you ever been to Santarpio's(San Taaahpio's) in Eastie? It is my husband's all time favorite pizza, but I think the sauce is too tart, and, though I like thin pizza, I think it is TOO thin.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Geography also matters. Americans make the best pizza in the world. When I was in Germany, all you could get outside of Pizza Hut was this pathetic Greek pizza that was more like toast with cheese than anything else.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Never been...though I'm not a fan of thin crust pizza, either.

mmmmmpizza.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Storm Saxon,
Correction. The northeastern United States makes the best pizza in the world.

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Brazil makes the best pizza in the world.

There is a little country in Europe, I guess it's called Italy or something...I've been told their pizza is not bad. I may be wrong, though.

[ August 07, 2004, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Eduardo_Sauron ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I have actually heard their pizza kind of stinks. Honest. That is what people I know have said.

Edit to say that the friends said there really is not a comparison, like we would compare Chicago pizza to NY pizza. It is just a whole different kinda pie.

[ August 07, 2004, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know - I've been to parts of Italy and I just wasn't impressed with the food.

Of course, I was on one hell of a budget.

But the best spaghetti I ever had was in a two-bit diner just outside the train station in Rome.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Pizza in Italy is very different. It's sort of like an appetizer, or something. Very plain. I like American pizza much better. Yeah, Elizabeth is right, it really isn't fair to compare American pizza to pizza in Italy or Rome.

[ August 07, 2004, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Theca ]

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
The pizza neapolitana I had at Pompeii was INCREDIBLE. I just wish I could make it like that. Best pizza EVER, from a little roadside stand. Mmmmmmm.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
American pizza rocks!

It is a combination of good dough and good cheese that makes a huge difference.

I use a Mozz, pecaro romano, and a bit of parmasean cheese for the best results.

I know, I can't spell....but I make a mean pizza.

And the oven should be pretty hot too, that way the crust doesn't get soggy and crisps right up.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"American pizza rocks!"

No, no, it's a pizza STONE, not a rock. Sheesh.

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Pizza in the Philippines sucks. They don't have real cheese. Or real tomato sauce. >.< I ate it though.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
The sauce is the most important! You mess up on the sauce and you end up with Little Caesar's. Never put sugar in your sauce! And whatever you do, start it out by sauteeing fresh mashed garlic in olive oil. And if you think you've got too much garlic, add three times more.

The best sauce uses fresh roma tomatoes. Mmm.... actually, just about everything requires fresh roma tomatoes and triple garlic.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
In the Philippines they use bananas instead of tomatoes. I actually like banana ketchup, but it *is* an acquired taste. I actually buy it here sometimes. Saudades. Uh, I mean, I miss it.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Italian pizza is generally not as well prepared as good American (NY or Chicago), but you can get cooler toppings like fried eggs or arugula lettuce.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
curse you all, now i really want pizza, and have no pizza, and no money for pizza.
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
The cheese makes all the difference, I'm convinced. You need a good mozzarella that'll melt really well. Supposedly the best mozzarella cheese for pizza comes from water buffalo milk.

Crust is another important thing. Pizza stones are awesome, but make sure they're HOT. Put it in the oven before you preheat it, and don't just pop it in when the oven beeps, give some extra time for the stone. Actually, I saw on Good Eats that a pizza stone as a permanent fixture in the bottom shelf/floor of your oven does wonders for even heating.

The more the dough rises the more flavor it has, but you should't raise it more than four times. Alton Brown likes to raise his in the fridge because he likes the longer raise time for flavor. I've never tried it, but it might have the same effect.

Topping order is important: the longer ou would cook something, the closer to the top of the pizza it should be, usually as follows:

Extra cheese--top
Fresh veggies
pre-cooked meats
cheese
sauce
crust--bottom

when you kneed or toss the dough, don't use straight flour, add some cornmeal: less sticky, less gluten, better flavor, and a better bake on the crust.

And please, for the love of all that is good in this world, don't be heavy handed with the sauce!

Lessee, this is a combination of advice from a sister from my ward who managed a Dominos, Alton Brown, and my own experience. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
So much advice, I'm excited!

Right now I'm going with Hobbes dough -- anyone have any other recommendations? And regarding the sauce, I'm using one of those premade ones -- would that cause any major problems?

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
My pizza is also better than take out. If you make your own crust, use olive oil, and be generous with it. Make your own sauce, also with olive oil, and use good cheese. Spread corn meal on your breadboard or counter before you start to roll it out and it will make the crust crisper. I've also known folks who swear by pizza stones. I've never used one, but one of these days maybe I'll get one.

Pizza is one of the world's most perfect foods.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband makes THE best pizza in the world. The crust is made better with a starter.

Recipe

3-24 hours before making pizza-

mix 1/2 cup bread flour
1/8 tsp yeast
1/4 room temp water

Let rest in a warm place. If you have a bread machine, use it.

For crust:

To starter, add:
2.5 tsp yeast
1.5 cup bread flour
1.5 cup durhum flour
1/4 cup + 2 TBL semolina flour
1 cup + 2 TBL water
1 TBL sugar
2 tsp salt
2 TBL + 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil

WE always use a bread machine, so I confess I don't know about hand kneading and rising times.

H makes his own sauce, but claims there is no recipe. [Dont Know] I know he sometimes adds paprika-yummy.

We also use a combo of mozzeralla, romano, and parm. Some feta is divine too. I also love it when he adds liberal amounts of chopped garlic on tp of the cheese. He uses a stone, and in the summer grills pizza ( use the stone on the grill).Scrumptious!

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It's easy to make pizza better than they do in Brazil. Just leave the peas and corn off of it, and don't put any non-pitted olives on it. That right there goes a long way. [Razz]

Seriously, I never could get used to the stuff they but on Brazilian pizza, although I did come to enjoy the tomatoe slices.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have a recipie for a crust that uses whole grains? I've been on a raw foods kick lately.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a good whole wheat recipe -- somebody bump this in a couple hours (when I can access my cookbooks) and I'll post it.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Warrent
Member # 5549

- posted      Profile for Chris Warrent           Edit/Delete Post 
anyone ever had shrimp fettechine pizza,

I had some small-town pizza place in California...

My god was it delicious [Hail]

Posts: 28 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite pizza is vegetarian pizza with sausage and peperoni.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I actually like a really good white pizza, made with mozzarella(not ricotta), a little bit of feta, a bunch of fresh garlic, and cured black olives(pitted! ha ha)

Edit: Good white pizza is hard to find, so I don't often order it.

[ August 08, 2004, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I still totally miss NYC pizza. Best pizza ever.

I use ready mixed dough and make it as flat as possible. I still need more practice though, but when I used my homemade sauce it was a bit runny, but good.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually put in mild-medium salsa rather than regular tomato sauce. Tastes great and spices it up.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Should I feel guilty that I love Pizza Hut's pan pizza? It's so freaking good.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
The best pizza I've ever had is made in a little pizza place in the middle of no where in the catskills. The key for them seems to be the oven.

I think the reason we see so many "most important" items, from the cheese to the crust to the oven to the sauce, is that depending on the pizza, you can ruin it in a whole lot of different ways. Are you making thin crust or thick? If its really thin crust, the dough won't matter as much, but you'll want a really good oven and cheeses. If you make thick crust, the sauce and the dough will be more important.

Personally, I like a good blend of cheeses, a tasty sauce thats not chunky, and thin but crispy crust.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I can't stand thin crust pizza. I love it to be thick and doughy.

Hey rivka, do you have that recipe? <rubs hands together in anticipation>

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, here 'tis. From Keys to Successful Baking, by Diane Phillips
quote:
Whole Wheat Pizza

1 pkg yeast
1/2 c. lukewarm water
1/2 t. honey (I use honey when I have it, and sugar if I don't)
1 T. butter (I use olive oil)
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 t. salt

Combine first 4 ingredients; let stand 5-8 min. In large bowl, combine flour and salt. Add yeast mixture. Turn out onto floured board and knead dough 7-10 minutes, until smooth and elastic. (I actually use my Kitchenaid, but whichever.) Let rise 1 - 1 1/2 hours.

Roll to fit 12"-pan (crust will be 1/4"-1/2" thick). Lightly grease and flour pan; place dough on it. Top with sauce and cheese. Bake at 375, until crust is golden.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Woo!
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"The best pizza I've ever had is made in a little pizza place in the middle of no where in the catskills"

Where?

One of my favorite non NYC pizzas is from New York Pizza in Trumansburg, NY, outside of Ithaca.

I have to say, though, that there is no better piza than pizza in New York City. I am sure if I ate Chicago pizza in Chicago, I would love it, but I prefer a thin, floppy crust.I like to have to almost slurp my pizza.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza MUSHROOM! MUSHROOM!

Pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza MUSHROOM! MUSHROOM!

AAAHHH! A bill a bill! Ahhhh... it's a bill!

It's a pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza MUSHROOM! MUSHROOM!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Italy has the best pizza in the world.

Specifically:

Outside of Torino, seven kilometers to the southwest, there's a town called Settimo Torinese. If you take the first right after the photo shop, the first door on the left will be the Best Pizza Shop in the World. It's run by two brothers who are also the Coolest Pizza Guys on Earth.

I almost became Catholic to get a discount on their pizza.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

You mean...catholics have a discount? Serious?
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

What about disgruntled Catholics who attend a Congregational church?
policyvote
Member # 3044

- posted      Profile for policyvote   Email policyvote         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to work at a pizza place, and though they were a delivery place (no time to make dough from scratch), they really prided themselves on having the best delivery pie around. The dough was the most best pre-made (NOT pre-stretched) dough balls they could get their hands on, the cheese was an expesinve three-cheese blend (mozz, provolone, romano), and the sauce was handmade from a family recipe.

Ever shucked thirty cloves of garlic? It takes a while . . .

I think it's important to have a decent crust, but the difference between a decent crust and a great crust isn't as big as the difference between decent cheese and great cheese. If you're making a great pie, you've got to have great sauce, but consistency is a little more important than flavor. With as much cheese and toppings as most people put on their pizza, fine shades of flavor in the sauce don't come out.

Anyway, the best pie I ever made there was the pie I made on my last night of working there. It was a large, with ranch dressing for the sauce, extra cheese, grilled chicken, tomatoes, red onions, green pepper, mushrooms, and black olives. After it went through, I brushed the crust with garlic butter, and then sprinkled grated romano and fresh oregano over the whole pie.

THAT was like dying and going to pizza heaven.

Peace
policy

Posts: 341 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
policyvote
Member # 3044

- posted      Profile for policyvote   Email policyvote         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I should also mention--once you've had oven-fresh pizza, delivery will always suck. It's not just about temperature; the cheese and crust just can't be kept at that oven-fresh consistency, no matter what you do.

Peace
policy

Posts: 341 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth-
Town called Phoenicia. Do you know it?

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

No, Paul, I do not know that town.

I just wonder how far it is from me. Sounds like a job for Mapquest.

There is also a GREAT pizza place in Lowell. We were at the Lowell Folk Festival last year, and there was a pizza stand. Danged if I can remember it now, but the kids and I were both willing to drive two hours to have some at the restaurant.

Sippi's? Something with an S. I had forgotten about that pizza until this moment.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.