FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help from you recording gurus out there.

Author Topic: Help from you recording gurus out there.
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
My band is playing a show this wednesday.

We have a few decent mics, a PA system, an 8 track recording machine (you can only record 2 tracks at once on it though.)

What's the best way to record a live performance with limited equipment?

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Based on what you have here, I would put your two best mikes together in the center of the room, one pointed at the stage, one about 30 degrees angle off to the right and record the performance from there, two stereo tracks.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of mics? If they're omnis, put them on high stands and space them 15-20' apart on the left and right. If they're cardioids, set up an X-Y or ORTF stereo pattern.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
How are you micing up the band for the show?

Are all the instruments going through a mixing console with the PA?

What I've done in the past has been based on how the console's been setup for the PA. For example, the last show I recorded I had a fully miced drum kit - i.e. bass drum, snare drum, toms, hi's and cymbals, in addition to amp-miced rhythm & lead guitarists and everything else - keys and vox - going straight into the PA.

The console had an eight-channel buss on it. That allowed me to mix the drums in soundcheck and buss all of the drum mics to one channel on the buss, in addition to grouping all the guitars on one buss and putting the keys and vox in through their own.

In that kind of situation, you can run a stereo monitor or headphone out to your recording device and with the addition of a few well-placed mics focused on the audience, get yourself a reasonably good recording.

Otherwise, just go for what the guys above said.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*sighs in happy pleasure*

the good old days . . .

*picks up hammer and whacks speaker to encourage better connectivity*

No really - time honored technique! [Wink]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
On a marginally related note: snares sound awesome with reverb.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a very nasty thing to say Primal.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Calvin,
What you need is a good, old Grateful Dead taper. They usually work for beer.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.