FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A question for Buffy fans

Author Topic: A question for Buffy fans
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been checking out the DVD of the Buffy series from the library over the past several months. I just got the first half of Season 6, and finally watched the musical episode last night.

I liked it but had a question for those who probably know more than I do about the series. Did all of the actors do their own singing? I know that the guy who plays Giles has a decent voice, as they have had him sing before. Also, the lady who plays Willow seemed to have a weak voice, so I was pretty sure that they were not dubbing her voice. If the actors did their own signing I have to say I was impressed with Tara( Amber Beeson) and Anya( Emma Caufield).

So any help out there?

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup... they all did their own singing.
There is a bonus feature on the disk that has a making of that episode. Worth watching!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
"You make me com...plete!"
hehehehe...

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
They did their own singing!
And yes! Tara has a great voice! Everyone I know who likes the series were impressed with that!

(stc...such a geek...not able...to hide...it)

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghost of xnera
Member # 3920

- posted      Profile for ghost of xnera   Email ghost of xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
AMBER RULES!!!!!

I don't have the DVD yet, so I haven't seen the Making Of, but yes, they all did their own singing. Alyson Hannigan didn't really want to sing, so Joss only gave her a few lines. Michelle (Dawn) wanted to dance, so she got her big dance number. Sarah Michelle Gellar was thinking of getting a voice double, until she read the script and decided she just had to sing for herself.

But yes, AMBER RULES!!! And Tony Head obviously sings (and has done so before on the show), and James Marsters has a band, but Spike's stuff was written higher than he prefers to sing. And David Fury and Marti Noxon (writers) both had cameos.

And I know too much random Buffy trivia. [Razz]

I need to see the musical again, dammit.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
You should really watch the special features on the disk. The making of the episode is great...they show them all singing in the studio...and also show some of the bloopers and such.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I will get to that.

The library has the season divided into two parts so I will have to wait until I get the second part with the special features. Probably next week.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently got the album and I wish that Sarah Michelle Gellar had stuck to her instincts and used a voice double, bless her heart. There's a demo of Something to Sing About sung by Joss Whedon's wife, Kai Cole, and she sounds so much better than SMG.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the fact that they didn't use voice doubles. The fact that some of them weren't very good made it more believable.

Well, as believable as it can be with a demon who makes everyone sing and dance.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I was also happy that they decided so sing with their own voices. After all, the demon made everyone sing and dance, not sing and dance like professionals (I know they were trained and stuff but still...)

Again: such a geek... [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually did not like Kai's singing. It just grated on me for some reason. While the cast did not sound like professional singers...I think having them do it made the show better...more real.

*also bought the soundtrack [Smile]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto on the soundrack. I don't have the DVD yet though.

I think voice doubles would have been a cheat. I mean, we've watched these actors for 6 years now (as of OMWF) and simply replacing those that couldn't sing wouldn't be fair to the audience. Give us the voices of those we've grown to know and love.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I love that episode. [Big Grin]

I didn't mind SMG's voice. Given she has such a distinctive 'Buffy' speaking voice, I think it would have been weird if she had a voice double and none of the distinctiveness came through in the singing.

Willow... "I think this line's mostly filler" cracks me up every time.

And I agree, the special featurette is great.

I think my favourite song is the Tony Head/Amber Bensen duet - so good.

Ugh, I'm all fan-girling.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Best Song: "Drawn to the fire" (unfortunatelly, SMG is one of the singer in this one, but still...)

And yes! I also have the soundtrack! I am a geek AND a fanboy!

ghost of xnera
Member # 3920

- posted      Profile for ghost of xnera   Email ghost of xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm quite partial to "Under Your Spell", because of the awesomeness of Amber. Also, the line "Never the sun on my face" used to repeat in my head a lot.

I also had a period where "Going Through THe Motions" was my theme song. Unfortunately. I mean, great song, but not a great feeling, you know?

But yes, "Walk Through the Fire" is great. And probably the song I most resonate with now.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone other than me find it really, really funny that someone thinks them singing their own parts made it more "real"?

Which part of Buffy was real? I must have missed that part....
[ROFL]

[ August 09, 2004, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Duh! All of it was real! Right now, Buffy's living in Italy with the Immortal! But I don't know what happened to Willow, and I'd love to know...well, maybe there'll be a "documentary" TV movie that will tell us...did you know her twin sister got married to some guy in the "documentary" American Wedding? I was like freaking out at first, thinking why are they calling Willow by some other name? But then I realized it was her twin sister, and it was all fine. [Smile]
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, what's Willow doing marrying a boy?

I like to think Willow is rebuilding the Watcher's Counsel with Giles somewhere. After all, there are many many new slayers who need Watchers.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

I don't know how people can say Buffy was not real. She saved the world so many times, and even.... ok, doctor, I'll take my medication. No more shocks, please. [Hail]
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
The funny part? The actress playing Willow married the actor playing the geeky Watcher who replaced Giles for a bit.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

"the Geeky Watcher" = Wes (A.K.A. Alexis Denisof ). [Wink]

[ August 10, 2004, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: Eduardo_Sauron ]

imogen
Member # 5485

And the geeky watcher Wes got pretty hot and un-geeky in Angel.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, Wes was hot in Buffy. Even if he was a dork.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
So, kiwi, you are into dorks, huh?

Where were you 15 years ago.... [Wall Bash] [Taunt]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichelleEly
Member # 6737

- posted      Profile for MichelleEly   Email MichelleEly         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Spike was a dork before he became Spike. Does that count?
Posts: 152 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Bunny arn;t just cute like everybody supposes!
They've got their hoppy little eyes, and their twitching little noses!
And whats with all the carrots?
What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?
Bunnies! Bunnies! It must be Bunnies!

Giles: Iv' got a theory

Anya: Bunnies! Bunnies! Bunnaaaaahhhheeeeeyyaaaaayyys!

Or maybe midgets.

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

I rewatched Once More With Feeling on Wednesday night because of this thread.

Now I can't get the soundtrack out of my head.

Thanks Hatrack. [Grumble]

Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
*Perky Smile of Robot Buffy* Welcome!
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
"Hello Anya. How is your money?"
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

You're welcome, Imogen. [Smile]

"Bunnieeeeeeeeeeeeeees!"

ghost of xnera
Member # 3920

I have the full soundtrack for the musical memorized. This comes from spending hours working on and burning my own copy of it right after the episode aired. I did buy the official soundtrack the day I heard it was finally in stores, but I kind of like my own better. It's got the dialogue snippets that are missing from the official. Plus I used up the extra space on the CD with a little something I like to call Buffy in a Nutshell: a collection of quotes from the first five seasons. THAT took me AGES. But I am quite proud of it. [Big Grin] And yeah, I have most of THAT memorized, as well:

"And now for an all new episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer."
"In every generation there is a Chosen one. She alone will stand against the vampires, demons, and forces of evil. She is the Slayer."
*cue theme song*
"Hi, we haven't been properly introduced. I'm Buffy."

I could go on, but I have work to do.

Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

I know I should go,
But I follow you,
Like a man possessed,
Theirs a traitior here beneath my breast,
And if my heart could be,
It would break my chest,
But I can tell, your unimpresssed,
So let me be,
Let me rest in peace,
Let me take my love and bury it in a hole six foot deep.

ghost of xnera
Member # 3920

I have a feeling I'm going to end up posting all the lyrics.

quote:

This is the man that I plan to entangle.
Isn't he fine?
My claim to fame was to maim and to mangle.
Vengence was mine!
But I'm out of the biz
The name I've made, I'll trade for his
The only trouble is...
I'll never tell.

She is the one.
She's such wonderful fun.
Such passion and grace.
Warm in the night
When I'm right in her tight...
embrace, tight embrace.
I'll never her go.
The love we've known can only grow.
There's just one thing that...
No. I'll never tell.

Because there's nothing to tell....

He snores.
She wheezes.
Say housework and he freezes.
She eats these skeezy cheeses that I can't describe.
I talk, he breezes.
She doesn't know what please is.
His penis got diseases from a Chumash tribe!

The vibe gets kind of scary.
Like she thinks I'm ordinary.
Like it's all just temporary.
Like her toes are kind of hairy.
But it's all very well.
'Cause God knows, I'll never tell.

When things get rough he
Just hides behind his Buffy.
Now look, he's getting huffy
'Cause he knows that I know.

She clings, she's needy
She's also really greedy
She nev--
His eyes are beady!
--This is my verse, hello!

Hey, look at me! I'm dancing crazy!

You know, you're quite the charmer.
My knight in armor!
You're the cutest of the Scoobies
With your lips as red as rubies
And your firm yet supple...
Tight embrace!

He's swell.
She's sweller.
He'll always be my fellar.
That's why I'll never tell her that I'm petrified.

I've read this tale.
There's wedding, then betrayal.
I just know they'll come the day
I'll want to run and hide.

I lied.
I said it's easy.
I've tried.
But there's these fears I can't quell.
Is she looing for a pot of gold?
Will I look as good when I've gotten old?
Will our lives become too stressful
If I'm never that successful?
When I get so worn and wrinkly
THat I look like David Brinkley.

Am I crazy?
Am I dreaming?
Am I marrying a demon?
We could really raise the beam on making marriage a hell.
But thank God I'll never tell.
I swear that I'll never tell.

My lips are sealed.
I take the fifth.
Nothing to see, move it along.

I'll never--tell!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.