FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » News of The Strange

Author Topic: News of The Strange
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Just ran across a photographic slideshow (far-right upper-middle} interesting enough to wanna share.

[ August 09, 2004, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone please tell me why ham piled on a bed is art.
Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Afraid I can't help you out there, Amka.

Check out the Japanese rescue robot in frame 61! How cool is that?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Because it is tacky and tasteless?

Or maybe I'm just an uncultured swine, like that 1000 lb boar.

[ August 09, 2004, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
There are some really strange photos in that batch! (I haven't made it through all 99 shots though yet)

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Wasn't it a 500 lb boar? I don't want to go all the way through the slide show again, but I thought that it weighed in at half a ton.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

I find it even wierder that some jerks wanna call pollution -- eg Cristo's plastic wrapping of the landscape, umbrellas plantations, etc, or {picture32) MarcoEvaristti's 3,000 liters (780 gallons) of red dye sprayed on an iceberg -- art.

On the other hand, the (picture36) VanGogh hot-air balloon woulda probably delighted Vincent himself.

[ August 09, 2004, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm... Hammm....
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I find it even wierder that some jerks wanna call pollution -- eg Cristo's plastic wrapping of the landscape, umbrellas plantations, etc, or {picture32) MarcoEvaristti's 3,000 liters (780 gallons) of red dye sprayed on an iceberg -- art.
Hey. I saw the U.S. component of Cristo's Umbrellas, and I'm going to have to challenge your characterization of them as "pollution". They were actually very beautiful and fit nicely with the environment they were placed in.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Christ
Member # 5714

- posted      Profile for Anti-Christ           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wasn't it a 500 lb boar? I don't want to go all the way through the slide show again, but I thought that it weighed in at half a ton.
A ton is 2000lbs.
Posts: 125 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
A ton is 2000 lb.
2000 lb. * 0.5 = 1000 lb.

[ August 09, 2004, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Christo doesn't just leave the stuff there. He does take it all down.

It's weird, but I don't know that I'd call it pollution.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
The reason why some people call it art is because it entices a reaction out of those who view it (confusion) and leaves the veiwer full of unanswered questions, questions even the artist doesn't know the answer to. You get the same effect if you put a tampon in a paper cup half full of syrup and call it art, or build a statue out of feces.

At least thats my opinion on art like that.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Well, I feel like a moron. I knew that, but somehow the knowldge fled my mind while I was watching the slide show, and didn't return until two of you took pity on me and reminded me of that facts.

That said,

That's some pig.

In all seriousness, it seems like a shame to have killed it. Same goes for the enormous fish (what was it, an Atlantic Halibut or something?) featured in another slide.

aspectre
Member # 2222

Twas a catfish.

And the claimed size of the boar is generally believed to be fake by people who live in the area: the dudes involved can't figure out where they buried it. And I've read that photo analysis indicates that the mighty hunter is well behind the boar, lending a false perspective magnifying its actual size.

Sorry, I like landscapes without billboards blocking the view.
Cristo used umbrella's to billboard/advertise himself, creating a lot of trash in the process. That his trash was picked up afterward doesn't excuse creating it in the first place, or blocking the view for self-aggrandisement.

[ August 09, 2004, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
aspectre - there was two -- one of the catfish, and one of an Atlantic Halibut.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the cloned kittens. I liked that they named them "Baba Ganoush" and "Tabouli"
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

::steeples fingers::

Eeeeexcelent.

Dance monkeys! Dance!

Noemon
Member # 1115

Hey, CT, on a subject unrelated to this thread's topic, have you by any chance ever read any of George R. R. Martin's WildCard mosaic novels? Specifically, Aces Abroad?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.